Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
'08 Tribeca owners, try this:
At low speed (on a parking lot for example), try pumping the gas pedal without keeping it down more than 0.5 seconds... 2, 3, 4 times... Take it even all the way down till it touches the floormat if you dare... So?
Yep... Nothing happens!

It's something I did not pay attention to when test-driving but I always get that 0.5/1 sec void in acceleration when taking off after a stop sign/traffic light or re-accelerating after a turn... It never fails.
I thought I could get used to it but then, I thought to myself "I bought Subaru and not GMC or Toyota because I want the experience to be fun! Not slow! :D"

I brought this up to my Subaru technician over at Maita in Sacramento and he came back to me with "testing came back normal, all settings are factory settings, all good". I asked to try another one of their Tribecas and while he pulled it to the curb for me, he did that "pumping" test I described above... "Yeah, you're right!" he told me. He opened an issue with Subaru (nothing since then, 3 weeks ago).

I find hard to believe nobody else driving an '08 Trib (don't know about prior models) noticed that... Anynody? A solution, perhaps?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah, it's an automatic transmission thing. Only solution is to get a manual box for instant response. Perhaps then we'll get a proper handbrake too, instead of using the space for stupid cupholders...?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I've driven many automatic cars before and the delay was never that long. My wife drives a 2003 Toyota Matrix and it doesn't have that problem.
I don't see why that couldn't be reduced to the point where it's not noticeable...

This morning again, a guy waving me to go first at a stop sign; I go: "Thanks man... [1-second blank]... KICK IN THE BUTT and off I go".
It's almost embarrassing...

ozeguy said:
Yeah, it's an automatic transmission thing. Only solution is to get a manual box for instant response. Perhaps then we'll get a proper handbrake too, instead of using the space for stupid cupholders...?

·
Registered
124 Posts
silly question, but why would you pump 2,3,4 times? just push on it and go? What are you trying to accomplish with the pumping?
when I step on it, I don't notice any delay, but I don't pump either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pumping is just to prove a point: the point that it is not behaving the way it should be behaving (if you press down the gas pedal, the engine should rev... no matter how long you push).

Are you saying that your engine reacts the very instant you start stepping on the pedal (from a complete stop)?
Is it an '08 model?

bionicbadger said:
silly question, but why would you pump 2,3,4 times? just push on it and go? What are you trying to accomplish with the pumping?
when I step on it, I don't notice any delay, but I don't pump either.

·
Registered
151 Posts
could it be the drive by wire technology you are experiencing. Instead of the direct linkage to the throttle, your foot depressing first goes through the computer to determine pedal angle, speed etc etc... if you jab at the pedal, the computer takes a bit to try and figure out what you are doing.. as oppose to squeezing the pedal.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I've noticed this occasionally as well in our 07, my wife's 05 Legacy too. Subaru's drive by wire seems to be a bit slow reacting at times. It can be potentially dangerous, especially if you are trying to scoot through a busy intersection. My Accord is also drive by wire, but it is much faster reacting.

Unfortunately this is something I'd wager Subaru isn't going to fix, as they will likely say it is normal programming:(

·
Registered
151 Posts
I wonder if the drive by wire system coupled with having all wheel drive, ABS, traction control.. limited slip, center diff etc... is a lot for the computer to have to deal with to give you instantaneous response.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Subaru's automatics cetainly has that delayed response when pushing the throttle. Knew of this before purchase and was a close deterrent in purchase. I've come to modify my driving to accomodate. Sport mode makes it less noticeable to me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes its an ECU problome. If you consistantly stomp on the thrrottle it gets better. But it never realy goes away. I hate it too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I played with it by quickly "pumping" and you're right. I never drive that aggressively so it doesn't really bug me. Never noticed it before. I can see where it would be annoying

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any new update on this? Anybody find a solution?

It's such a frustration... That's really the only complaint I have about my Tribeca... :mad:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just something for you guys to try.... I get a NASTY delay in acceleration at this spot by my house where theres a "speed bump like" bump in the road just after the stoplight. Whenever I accelerate from being stopped that spot screws with the ECU/Traction control and my acceleration is almost nill for a second or two.

I'm able to bypass this scenerio by pressing the "OFF" button on the traction control before I go over it. SEE THIS PICTURE

As long as the traction control is OFF.... the car doesnt lag/delay and works great. Give it a try... I'm not sure if its the same problem you guys are experincing, but it's an easy test.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm pretty sure I've tried it before to no avail (I'll give it another shot tonight).
I do agree though that the delay is even worse when re-accelerating after an almost complete stop (bump, very slow turn, California stop sign...)

awd_envy said:
Just something for you guys to try.... I get a NASTY delay in acceleration at this spot by my house where theres a "speed bump like" bump in the road just after the stoplight. Whenever I accelerate from being stopped that spot screws with the ECU/Traction control and my acceleration is almost nill for a second or two.

I'm able to bypass this scenerio by pressing the "OFF" button on the traction control before I go over it. SEE THIS PICTURE

As long as the traction control is OFF.... the car doesnt lag/delay and works great. Give it a try... I'm not sure if its the same problem you guys are experincing, but it's an easy test.

·
Registered
552 Posts
awd_envy...do you have a protective film on your dash or is it polished? Just wondering b/c the dash at the top of the pic looks real shiny. Could just be the way the light is catching it?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hesitation "off the line"

tbertran said:
'08 Tribeca owners, try this:
At low speed (on a parking lot for example), try pumping the gas pedal without keeping it down more than 0.5 seconds... 2, 3, 4 times... Take it even all the way down till it touches the floormat if you dare... So?
Yep... Nothing happens!

It's something I did not pay attention to when test-driving but I always get that 0.5/1 sec void in acceleration when taking off after a stop sign/traffic light or re-accelerating after a turn... It never fails.
I thought I could get used to it but then, I thought to myself "I bought Subaru and not GMC or Toyota because I want the experience to be fun! Not slow! :D"

I brought this up to my Subaru technician over at Maita in Sacramento and he came back to me with "testing came back normal, all settings are factory settings, all good". I asked to try another one of their Tribecas and while he pulled it to the curb for me, he did that "pumping" test I described above... "Yeah, you're right!" he told me. He opened an issue with Subaru (nothing since then, 3 weeks ago).

I find hard to believe nobody else driving an '08 Trib (don't know about prior models) noticed that... Anynody? A solution, perhaps?
Have you tried this when using the "sport shift"? Otherwise I think it's automatic transmission thing.....:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tried that... It's maybe a tiny bit better but far from satisfactory...
I agree, it's probably an automatic transmission (specifically computer assisted) thing but I find it quite appalling that as technology improves, the driving experience goes the other way.
I wouldn't expect a Honda Fit to make me feel like I'm driving a performance-oriented car but it's a :censored: Subaru for Pete's sake!

MNSteve said:
Have you tried this when using the "sport shift"? Otherwise I think it's automatic transmission thing.....:D

·
Registered
96 Posts
tbertran said:
Tried that... It's maybe a tiny bit better but far from satisfactory...
I agree, it's probably an automatic transmission (specifically computer assisted) thing but I find it quite appalling that as technology improves, the driving experience goes the other way.
I wouldn't expect a Honda Fit to make me feel like I'm driving a performance-oriented car but it's a :censored: Subaru for Pete's sake!
Wonder if this transmission could go through a "learning curve." Hmm, I've been driving with a light right foot from the previous high gas prices. Think I'll consistantly "boot it" from a stop since gas prices are still under $2.00;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
MNSteve said:
Wonder if this transmission could go through a "learning curve." Hmm, I've been driving with a light right foot from the previous high gas prices. Think I'll consistantly "boot it" from a stop since gas prices are still under $2.00;)
Hmm, some times there is a slight delay and other times no delay. I think the coasting part is the "cause" of the delay. When starting from a "dead" stop 99.99% of the time no delay for me.

I'm thinking that the delay when coasting is that the transmission takes that fraction of a second to downshift into first gear. Just my thoughts....:)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts