Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know towing has been discussed quite a bit here over the years but I thought I'd reach out to the forum and allay any fears in my head.

We're moving to Chicago this weekend and will be towing U-haul 6x12 box trailer. Our 06 has the factory hitch system with aux cooler installed.

I'm currently doing rough estimates and our load is pretty close to the max capacity (3,500 lbs.). The 6x12 trailer's unloaded weight is a hefty 1,920 pounds..

Is the max load capacity of the hitch system towed weight or including GVW? I have flexibility on loading the cargo space of the Tribeca as total volume of my move is not an issue.

I also noticed that most user experience shows that SOA used conservative figures for the rating. FWIW our trip is WI to Chicago is 98% a completely flat terrain. We don't tow often, but have towed; assuming I can catch a break and have a limited wind day I can expect to set cruise at 70mph and be ok at or near the max tow weight? I know fuel consumption will be terrible. The last time I towed a trailer from GB to Chicago I think we barely made it on one tank. Although that day it had been gusting cross winds for the entire journey.

All maintenance is up to date including recent trans fluid flush.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I would slow it down to 65 that will be a lot of strain on the transmission, if you hit a grade let the speed go down some more. As long as you don't get in a hurry you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
nribs - I think you're the one who contacted me on craigslist about the floor mats! Small world.

I agree with FLsubies - in AU, the 'Beca is rated for over 4,000lbs and they're mechanically identical from what I understand. I'd keep it around 60mph for trailer towing anyways - not just for the transmission but for braking safety, especially with a full load.

·
Registered
243 Posts
i'd keep it as slow as you can stand as well. and leave early/late avoid high temps if you can.

engine cooling is the limiting factor. your ATF cooler may diverge some cooling demands from the engine cooling system.

flat land should be easy, have you ever moved a huge trailer or car in a flat lot by yourself? it can be done easily. if you gotta push that car up even a slight grade - can't do it.

i've never had an issue towing on flat land.

i've seen Tribecas with large tow loads go above normal engine temps with high heat/humidity and steep interstate grades. I, and others, have seen the same exact things on multiple H6 outbacks as well, it's well known, not some mystical thing that may or may not happen. You can read alot about it on subaruoutback.org - the outback and tribeca engine are the same and exhibit the same symptoms.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Short and sweet update. Our haul went well Saturday. The early morning downpour for the first hour and a half was no fun, I really had manage the throttle gingerly and had to keep the car between 50/60 mph to keep rpm's down. However the electronics of the torque-converter are mapped it is obvious they were designed to not have that much resistance on the box. A few times even on flat road or slight incline revs would bounce to 4k and even letting off throttle revs would stay up high, like it was designed to not loose revs.

After the downpour though things went well and I was able to maintain 65mph pretty constant with revs at 2.5 or 3 on incline. MPG improved radically too from 12 during the downpour to 16 for the rest of the trip.

Temps never once went past 3 bar level.:)

I didn't get the trailer on the scale, but I'd say we were right there at 3,500 lbs or even a bit more because our new pull out sofa was honestly the heaviest thing I've ever lifted.

Overall happy with the result and was nice to the see the odometer tick over 238k near Sheboygan.

After moving back to Chicago, and now with a car, the first thing I noticed is how beat to shvt cars get here. Oh well, at least at 238k I don't have many expectations. We weren't even in the city 24hrs and some "prudent" driver had already kissed my front bumper in the Ikea parking lot. I sat around for a bit seeing if owner would show, which of course he or she didn't.

The rest of the day I was just taking note of how beat up cars get here. If we can get 2 years out of the Tribeca while the wife is in school we'll probably give it up at that point.

Oh, and there is no feeling like un-hooking that trailer at U-haul and pulling away 3,500 lbs lighter. It's not often you'll hear this from the Tribeca crowd, but for about 5 blocks I felt like I was in a Ferrari. :lol:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Good to hear everything went well!

The last time I was at that IKEA, I parked next to a Tesla, so I'm not sure what you mean by ****ty cars, haha. ;)

Did you get the floormats?

edit: ugh, Chrome is still putting smilies on vBulletin formatted boards at the end of the message regardless of where they are - it shows up correctly on Firefox.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to hear everything went well!

The last time I was at that IKEA, I parked next to a Tesla, so I'm not sure what you mean by ****ty cars, haha. ;)

Did you get the floormats?

edit: ugh, Chrome is still putting smilies on vBulletin formatted boards at the end of the message regardless of where they are - it shows up correctly on Firefox.
Floor mats are in! Thanks. If anything was going to "fail" on the run to 270k miles, it was sure to be the carpet floor mats.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Tribeca Premium
27 Posts
Thread revival! Instead of starting yet another towing thread.

I have a decision to make. I am going to buy a travel trailer but deciding between a smaller lightweight one, or one near the max limit of my 2013 Tribeca.. bigger means more comfort....

I have towed a fair bit with my 2006 Honda Pilot. I towed a ~4000lb trailer for thousands of km's around Arizona/Idaho/Utah etc... It only has a tow capacity of 3500lb, but a hitch max of 450lb. I did not have the transmission cooler but also didnt have any temp problems towing from Phoenix to Sedona at highway speed up over 4000' in 90F weather...somehow. Based on the towing ability of the Pilot, I am left with high expectations from the Subie.

My Tribeca is a 2013 with just 95,000 km, 2" hitch receiver and auxilliary transmission and power steering fluid cooler.

Option 1: 2100 lb (dry weight) R-pod that sleeps 4 (family of 5 with 3 small kids, so this would work for some time), with gear this would end up as ~2600 lbs or so with a hitch weight of ~200 lb as stated in the specs, but I would try and bias this to be over 10% at least.

Option 2 : 2800 lb (dry weight) Hybrid travel trailer that sleeps 8. With gear, water etc... this would end up around ~3300lb, and just about at the max hitch weight of 350lb. I would likely remove the 120lb awning because I simply wouldnt use it, which would decrease the weight a bit. This trailer also has tandem axles, so properly positioned, could add payload to the trailer without necessarily adding too much to the hitch weight. I would still maintain a minimum of 10%.

People who have towed with their Tribecas, would you stick with a lighter trailer, or would you be comfortable operating near the written limit? MPG's would also be less on the heavier trailer... but the larger one is also $8k cheaper than the smaller one, so that's a lot of gas funds....

Thanks fellow Tribeca owners!

·
V6er Version 2
Facelift (EZ36D, 5EAT TG5D), MY2008, 7seat Limited (no DVD, no NAVI)
415 Posts
I vote lighter option (because I am not paying for it). Because it would also help with ease of driving(more controllable).
what kind of transmission temperature monitoring you use?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I vote lighter option (because I am not paying for it). Because it would also help with ease of driving(more controllable).
what kind of transmission temperature monitoring you use?
No monitoring. Using my obd2 scanner, there doesnt appear to be a transmission temeprature either. I don't think I'll add one, since I have the auxiliiary cooler, unless I start getting an overheat warning.

·
V6er Version 2
415 Posts
regarding transmission cooler: if there is no thermostat - you might get into situation when your ATF is too cold (which is also bad, not just overheating).
transmission fluid temperature - you can see in FreeSSM with kkl cable on pc, in CarScanner Pro (with ELM327) on iphone/android.

·
Registered
27 Posts
regarding transmission cooler: if there is no thermostat - you might get into situation when your ATF is too cold (which is also bad, not just overheating).
transmission fluid temperature - you can see in FreeSSM with kkl cable on pc, in CarScanner Pro (with ELM327) on iphone/android.
That's a good point. The transmission temp is visible? I use Torque application and I couldnt spot it.

·
V6er Version 2
415 Posts
to be honest - haven't used Torque yet. heard good things about it though - it should be there, I think.
in CarScannerPro it looks like this - Screenshot

·
V6er Version 2
415 Posts
stop pushing me into experimenting :DDD I was recently thinking of what I can do with older android tablet good :DD

·
Registered
27 Posts
stop pushing me into experimenting :DDD I was recently thinking of what I can do with older android tablet good :DD
Oh man, you should ahve seen what I did with my 05 Forester. Did a full install above the dash using a shroud from the WRX, wired to ignition, fully integrated to the sound system, and full obd2 integration. It was quite nice.

Vehicle Car Speedometer Motor vehicle Radio
Steering part Motor vehicle Car Output device Gadget

·
V6er Version 2
415 Posts
looks good :))
p.s. googled around - somehow there are no "special pid" lists for Subarus... which is kinda strange, either it has subarus already inside original program or nobody cares...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Apparently to get more advanced metrics like transmission temp, Subarus use BTSSM protocol which won't work in the torque app. I'll have to get an adapter that works with the protocol and an app that reads BTSSM. Not sure I want to go that route quite yet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.