Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm trying to figure out a P0500 code on an '08 Tribeca. When I run FreeSSM and look at the Cruise Control section, I get a code of 64 "Engine Sensor Failure 1". I've tried to look up the C code everywhere, but I don't see it. I downloaded the FSM for the Tribeca, and the code isn't listed at all in the There are no codes on the transmission, I've replaced the speed sensors themselves with no change in the codes. To test the speed sensors, I've unplugged both of the front speed sensors, and the codes did not change. I still get a speedometer reading, and the engine seems to be running in a limp home mode. I have cleared the codes, and they come right back. I downloaded the FSM, and it refers me to look up the VDC codes, but 64 is not listed there.
Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Did you ever get this fixed? I have a P0500 code on my 07 tribeca I just picked up for cheap, and my mechanic says I need to change out the whole vehicle speed sensor and harness

·
Registered
193 Posts
The P0500 code just means that there’s a non-specific fault in the determination of vehicle speed. In my experience, it usually relates to a fault in one of the front speed sensors (or wiring) or the transmission speed sensor (less common). One of the interesting aspects of this fault is that after replacing the wheel speed sensors, you may have to drive the car over 30 mph to cancel the P0500 code (even if you’ve reset with an OBD code reader). That’s because, the ABS/VDC module stores fault codes and cannot be reset with a regular OBD code reader (nor with FreeSSM). You can read the last ABS module codes using a sequence of headlights on/off and pressing trip meter reset on the instrument cluster (chassis codes).

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did wind up getting the speedometer working. I had the vehicle speed sensor harness replaced, but hat did not get the speedometer working until I cleaned the two front wheel speed sensors and sprayed copious amounts of contact cleaner in the sensor hole while slowly spinning the hub.

Still trying to get the ABS light, Traction control light, and Brake lights off on the dash, and to get the cruise control to work. I am hoping replacing both rear sensors solves the problem. If not, I might have to replace rear hubs.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yes from what I’ve heard, a failed wheel bearing can cause the speed sensor to fail. I’ve replaced a front and back hub to resolve this issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
No, my code reader won't read chassis codes. I have a cable on order to let me read codes with my laptop using the free SSM software.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It’s easy to do. Try this:
Turn ignition on without starting. Turn headlights on, then press trip meter reset button 4 times, then head lights off then trip meter button 4 times, and again.
You’ve got to do this quite quickly otherwise it doesn’t work. The trip meter then displays P codes in a rolling sequence ( it’ll say P—— if there are none). Press trip meter button to toggle between P codes and chassis codes.
Let me know the codes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
See this link:

·
Registered
39 Posts
"Turn ignition on without starting. Turn headlights on, then press trip meter reset button 4 times, then head lights off then trip meter button 4 times, and again."

Did you mean to add "turn headlights back on again"?

I am out of town currently, and wont be back home again until early Tuesday. I will try to read the chassis codes then and let you know what they are.

Thanks for all your help. You sound incredibly knowledgeable about the Tribeca compared to me. I have had B9 about a month, but hoping to learn.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks. I will check it out Tuesday. Hoping to install a new front passenger side strut that day. Did the driver's side two days ago.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you’ve got a strut related clunk, then you might need to change the top mount as well. Bearing failure in the top mount is not uncommon.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, you nailed it. Mount on the driver's side was shot, so I replaced it with a TRQ complete strut assembly. I am going to do the same on the passenger side.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Clunk at low speeds is usually the sway bar bushing on this car. Lots of posts about this (and I fixed it on mine as well).

Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts