Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just bought an 07 Tribeca... never owned a Subaru before, it's a pretty nice vehicle. Traded an 02 Xterra for it, wanted something a little more comfortable and upscale that can handle winters in Colorado.

Quick question for the veteran owners here- can anyone recommend a good bike rack? It'll go on the aero cross bars, I didn't get a tow hitch. The Xterra had an interior bike rack, but the Tribeca isn't tall enough inside for that.

Thanks!

Doug

·
Registered
100 Posts
Congrats on your purchase! You also stumbled into the BEST B9 site on the planet!

Sorry, no clue on which bike rack to suggest. :Dunno:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd recommend adding a hitch. I think mine was about $200 and it's easy to install.

I mountain bike regularly and had a rack on top of my WRX and after switching to a hitch mounted rack on the tribeca, i would never go back. It's so much easier. I would hate having to put a bike on top of a tribeca too, especially if you need to put a bike in the middle.

I've got a yakima rack that swings out, so I still have access to the hatch. Also if you get a yakima rack that swings you need a 2" reciever. The factory one is smaller --> 1 3/4"?

Only downside to the hitch mount rack is there is a weight limit and it would be pretty tricky to get 4 mtn bikes on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tombo_m6 said:
I'd recommend adding a hitch. I think mine was about $200 and it's easy to install.

I mountain bike regularly and had a rack on top of my WRX and after switching to a hitch mounted rack on the tribeca, i would never go back. It's so much easier. I would hate having to put a bike on top of a tribeca too, especially if you need to put a bike in the middle.

I've got a yakima rack that swings out, so I still have access to the hatch. Also if you get a yakima rack that swings you need a 2" reciever. The factory one is smaller --> 1 3/4"?

Only downside to the hitch mount rack is there is a weight limit and it would be pretty tricky to get 4 mtn bikes on it.
Thanks for the input... I'd definitely consider a hitch mounted rack, so I could swap it between vehicles. Plus, I could see myself forgetting about the bike atop my vehicle and doing something stupid like trying to park inside the garage.

Adding a hitch seems kinda pricey, though. I'll have to give this some thought...

Doug

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hitch pricing

I got a Hidden Hitch installed and wired for my camping trailer for under $275.00, it's an easy install. Plus most bike hitch racks are set up for 2" hitches, the factory hitch is 1 1/4" meaning less options, or more accessories to convert the rack to the smaller hitch size.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check out etrailer.com.

They have a DrawTite and a Hidden Hitch for 107 and 112. They'll ship it to you for a dollar too. I installed the DrawTite on mine and it was also very easy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Can some of you who installed a non-subaru hitch post some pics? Did you still have to cut the access hole in the lower vinyl skirt of the rear bumper?

·
Registered
22 Posts
No Hole

I'm at work w/out my B9, I'll get pics posted soon. No holes required, the reciever comes out below the rear valence.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GParker, how did the install go? I'm not much of a mechanic (I stopped working on cars after they stopped making 'em with carburetors). I'd love to see the pix!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I didn't do it!

I had the install done at a local hitch and truck accessory shop. The mod I performed myself was dropping in a K & N Filter,lol. The price I posted was an installed price. Mine does look real similar to the posted pics. I took pics, haven't downloaded them into my 'puter yet. Mine trailer has a 7 way pig tail plug so I have an additional box about 3" by 3" next to the reciever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts