Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Tribeca
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Thank you in advance for taking the time address to my questions. I have a 2006 Tribeca. Last Monday, the original alternator decided to give it up. I got the Battery/Brake & Rear Differential Temperature lights on my dash. Since it's getting up in age, I didn't really want to shell out nearly $600, for a new OEM Subaru Alternator. So, I found a remanufactured one, from Autozone. It squalled for a while then would smooth out then squall again. I drove it up to Autozone. The put their tester on it. According to their tester, it had a bad voltage regulator. So, they offered me a new Duralast Gold Alternator for the same price. I installed that. It squalled even worse than the first one. However, my voltmeter indicated that it was charging my battery. I drove it back up to Autozone. When I started my vehicle up, I now had Check Engine, Flashing Cruise and Traction Control lights. But, no faulty alternator lights. The guy tested this one. Again, according to their tester, the alternator was bad. I returned both and got my original core back. I then took it to a friend that works in a shop. He plugged in his diagnostic tool to it. According to Autozone I had a bad MAP/MAF Sensor. He cleared the code and found that there was nothing wrong with my vehicle, except it has a bad alternator. I then called around and found an alternator at a local wrecking yard. They told me that the it was off an 07 Tribeca. That it had about 105,000 on it. So, I drove to pick it up. When I arrived, it turned out to be a remanufactured one as well. It had the same stock number as the first one that I bought at Autozone. Against my better judgement, I took it home and installed it. You guessed it. It squalled and all my alternator fault lights lit up on my dash. I am have now purchased, what a listed as an original 06-07 Tribeca alternator. The listing shows the original part number on the alternator. It matches my part number on my original. Has anyone had an experience like this, with their Tribeca. If so, what did you do to finally rectify the issue? Sorry for the length of my post. Just wanted you all to have the details.

Thank you again for time and efforts to help.

Rugo

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Tribeca
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flat6er,
Thank you for your response. There hasn't been any work done to the car, for about 4 years. I replaced the idler pulley and belt, along with a radiator, hoses etc. I only drive about 4500 miles a year. So, I don't think I've worn anything out, that I replaced. I haven't taken the tensioner off and inspected it. However, it seems to spin freely. It seems to have the same travel back and forth as it did when I replaced my belt. Is there anything I should be looking for on it? I thought about rebuilding my original alternator. But, I don't have a spare, if something goes wrong in the rebuild and I can't put it back on my vehicle. It's my only mode of transportation for work, etc. I will take a closer look at the tensioner. It have been giving a lot of thought, that it may be something else that is causing all of these alternators to do the same thing.

Thank you again for your time and efforts.

Rugo

·
V6er Version 2
Facelift (EZ36D, 5EAT TG5D), MY2008, 7seat Limited (no DVD, no NAVI)
474 Posts
I thought that if some work was performed on car - somebody might have damaged tensioner, making belt to work at awkward angle and that way influencing alternator...
nothing else...
OR - the way you install alternator might be the issue.
Have you read FSM - may be there are some clues/ideas?
p.s. I would check FSM and do the rebuild of alternator - the moment you feel unsure/uncomfortable - you can assemble it back and put it on (to be able to drive where you need to be) while sorting out unknown. or just have ueber number handy and talk with your buddy at shop - he might be able to help if you get stuck.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Tribeca
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flat6er,
Thank you for following up. I'm afraid that I'm not cool enough to know what FSM is. I have just received word that I will be receiving an OEM tested alternator on Thursday. I think I will try to make it until then. However, your advice about rebuilding it, is very good advice. I very well may end up doing that, regardless if this OEM one works or not. I do appreciate you thinking outside the box and mentioning the tensioner pulley. I think I will take a closer look at it before my replacement alternator arrives. If you wouldn't mind sharing with me what you are referring to, when you refer to FSM, I would appreciate it.

Thank you again for time, patience and efforts.

Rugo

·
V6er Version 2
474 Posts
FSM = factory service manual. VERY VERY VERY VERY good and important stuff is there.
one of the places to get it - Subaru Factory Service Manuals (FSM) - Every Model - USDM/EU

good luck! And I hope it works out!
p.s. was thinking may be you have had alternator from other subaru model... 3.0 and 3.6 have different pulleys on them... if you are not first owner of the car - may be some mumbo-jumbo has happened and that's why yours kinda works, but all others fail...
on other hand - you might have noticed it then...

p.p.s. which USA location are you? there is slim chance that you are close to me, MA, but it would be interesting to solve :)

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Tribeca
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Flat6er,
Thank you again for your response. I appreciate you clarifying what FSM is. That makes all the sense in the world. Thank you for your patience with me. I'm pretty sure that the remanufactured alternators from Autozone, or any parts outfit that gets them from China, aren't necessarily year or model specific. I had previously purchased a starter from Autozone and it worked perfect. So, I thought I would give them a try. I would certainly welcome your help. Unfortunately, I am about as far from you as I could get in the continental US. I live in Gilbert AZ. It's a suburb of the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, located just south of them. I'm anxious to resolve this issue. Because it a tad warm here, if you don't think you should run your air conditioner, for fear of running down the battery before arriving home.

Thank you again for your help, patience and time.

Rugo

·
V6er Version 2
474 Posts
yeah... unfortunately, you are a bit far from here.

I am not saying that autozone products are bad. they, most certainly, have good products.
About model specific - different models/years or options - might have different alternators. (say - tribeca with dvd/navi might have more powerful alternator than my "poor as rat in church" with monochrome alfanumeric display :D

all I can offer - if you decide on overhauling journey - you work on alternator and post pictures and your questions. then I and others can help with their opinions/suggestions :)

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Tribeca
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Flat6er,
I am in total agreement with you. Autozone does have some good parts. I just don't think that their alternator that needs to be model and year specific for a Tribeca, is one of those parts. Live and learn I guess. I hope to have the used OEM Alternator on Thursday. Sure hope it works. I growing tired of fighting with it. Just shouldn't be this difficult. I really do appreciate you advice, time and patience with me.

Thank you again,
Rugo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts