Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my alternator is gone at 72k for my 07 Tribeca. Calling around for parts and 2 dealers quoted me $480 and $585 plus labor.

:eek:

Quick searches yield $180 tops.

Any reason for huge markup?

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Searches for OEM Subaru alternators, or remanufactured alternators at places like Autozone?

They're likely quoting you for a brand new one, rather than a rebuilt. I bought an Autozone alternator for my Legacy when it failed and it came with a lifetime warranty, which came in handy as that one failed after about 10,000 miles - no hassle, got another one for free and it worked at least until I sold it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
MSRP on the OEM alternator is $520. You can find them online for just over $400.

Word of advice on aftermarket: the H6 is very picky when it comes to the alternator. If you want to save a few bucks, consider salvage before aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
psygnal - I had read that somewhere else once - are the aftermarket/rebuilt/non-OE ones not putting out enough amps?

·
Registered
703 Posts
The H6 alternator is regulated by the ECU, unlike the H4 which is "self-regulating." To my understanding, the issues with aftermarket alternators are the communication between the alt and ECU, not the actual Vs or As.

Here's a decent primer on the H6 alternator.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good stuff here.

Didnt like that this premature breakdown is so costly, but glad to hear that the pricing is in the vicinity, especially from the dealers.

Had s belt, tensioner, and another pulley replaced beforehand. Mentioned it to the dealer to see if any of the components were not installed properly that could cause premature wear. He said no, but still cant stop and wonder since they are all so intertwined. I dont want a cascade of components start to nickel and dime.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The B9's alternator is a serviceable part... I would suspect that most opt for the "ease" of replacing the entire assembly, but if it's just a bearing, bushing, you're looking at a $20-30 part instead of a $500+ assembly. Even the rotor and regulator can be replaced, though they're a bit more pricy at $250-350 each. SOA sells all of these parts individually, so if you're mechanically inclined, I'd find someone who can diagnose the alternator and take a stab at a DIY-reman job if you're not having any luck in the junkyards but don't want to replace with new.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update ,things worked out well. Service rep at the dealer went to bat for me, and was able to have Subaru cover at least half of the cost of a new alternator, because of its early demise. Something about my specific vehicle's alternator cannot use the rebuilt one and had to get new was also some of the reasoning. Add an oil change, and I left the dealer with a $312 bill.

Props to William at Miller Subaru, since he certainly extended himself beyond the norm.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Pulleys or tensioner most likely. Various threads on the forum here that discuss. Easy DIY fix.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, now chirping upon acceleration. It's constant when stepping on gas. Possible solutions, causes?
I'd vote tensioner. Mine JUST went out on my 2007 B9. It was exactly as you describe. If you dont take care of it, the noise will continue to get worse as time goes on. When it fails, you'll likely shred your belt and possibly damage something else in the process. Its a simple fix to replace the tensioner though and the part is pretty cheap.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Checked the belts and tensioner when I was diagnosing the rdiff, brake and battery lights, that ended up being the alternator. They were all recently changed, less than 3 years (sbelt, tensioner and idler pukkey), and looked fine.

Was going to check again as suggested above, but as I drove the car a second time this morning, sounds were gone, on soft and hard gas pedal push.

Normal for it to need a little time to adjust belt tension? Will keep looking and inform dealer just in case.

Concerning the automatic tensioner, is it so "automatic" that belt setup is impossible to mess up? I mentioned to get belts tightened a bit ago from what I thought sounded like loose belts, but was told that we have an automatic tensioner, therefore the noise is indicative of something else.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Drove it around this weekend, and chirping is on most of the time, whether on load or not. Sound seems to be coming from the AC compressor. AC cold. Chirping whether AC on or not, when on simple step on the gas, and acceleration. Lay off gas and coast, nothing. Sprayed few drops of water on belts and chirp goes away after a few seconds. Loose belt or AC going? Going back tomorrow.

On loose belts, there is an automatic belt tension indicator where it needs to be setup within range.

Side note, hearing whine on the steering wheel on slow speeds and turns and was going to replace o-ring, and found I didnt have one. Tried to get a definitive on whether the H6 on the Tribeca has one vs the Outbacks and found no answer. Looked through the service manual pdfs and found nothing there. Do we have one on the power steering suction hose?

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I agree - it could just be the belt. Use some belt conditioner on it, or try conditioning your existing belt first.

·
Registered
703 Posts
There is a "sandwich"-style gasket on the PS suction hose, but no o-ring like the OB.

If you replace the v-belt, it wouldn't hurt to flush the PS fluid if it hasn't been done recently... it's mind-blowingly easy to do; and quick to boot, takes 20-25 minutes, at most.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like it is just the belt. Belt was replaced last year, so almost 2 years, and still looks new. Service did a gentle, scrub on the belt, and sure enough, it was gone. If it continues to chirp, I will replace it. I read that some are prone to noise, any suggestions on which? I'll read up as well.

Roger on the gasket. And on the fluid, did the baster thing last year. But if I do change the belt, will give that a go.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Is this service Subaru dealer or other?

Aftermarket alternator on our H6 engine often results in issues. Seems the aftermarket alternators don't seem to match what is in our cars for some reason.

Tom

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is a dealer. And I got a new one, vs remanufactured.

It is chirping again. As hopeful as I am that changing the belt will fix it, I am a bit skeptical as the belt is very new, with less than 10k miles, and less than 2 years. Searched for brand, but really didnt find a recommended one. Any better brand than the Dayco that seems prevalent in the forum?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts