Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to put this out there in case anyone else wanted to do the same thing. I ordered a new key from a legacy that is all in one remote built onto the key. It is just about the size of the regular key. From Fred Beans Subaru I ordered the key and included the VIN so it came already cut for $73 shipped. I had it programmed today so total cost is $140 dollars for the key and programming. Almost half of what the dealer would have charged me to order the key and remote and program them. Here is the pic.

·
Registered
152 Posts
WARNING to others!!! I'm not sure if the person who cut your key knew this or not, but I have had experience with cutting these keys with my 07' and all three of my local Subaru dealers had the same issue that I describe below. Automatic cutting by the VIN for 2008 and earlier on the integrated key's does not work properly. They need to be manually cut to work.

Seem my thread HERE

awd_envy said:
I picked up a set of blank keys' w/ integrated Fobs for my 07'. Everything seems like it's going to work, but WARNING. The length of one of grooves is longer on the 09's smaller series keys. Since most dealers use a machine that cuts the key based on code (VIN) and not by physically copying another key; the key will be cut wrong since it references the key from the stop of the grove and not by the tip of the key.

Anyone else that plans on doing this... the new keys need to be cut with a MANUAL cutter. FYI!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I had zero issues with my key that was cut from the VIN so not sure what you had going on. Fred Beans has a great reputation on other subie sites, I wouldn't hesitate to order another key from them.

Fred beans has been cutting these keys for the 05-09 legacies for a while now so I am sure they know what they are doing there, maybe your local dealers did not.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I wanted to do this, but it's a lot of money for a key when all the original keys and fobs work. My gf actual hates my integrated Legacy key. She prefers the separate fob.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^^Agreed, our Tribeca only had one set so we needed to have another made, my wife has too many keys already so I got her the all in one. I will keep the stock set as the spares.

·
Registered
152 Posts
FLsubies said:
I had zero issues with my key that was cut from the VIN so not sure what you had going on.
The problem is the newer key's have a deeper cut grove on the side of the key (the grove is closer to the fob then the original separate keys). Since the standard Subaru automatic key cutter references the key from the stop of that grove, the front part of the key will be 1/8" short or off, even though the rest of the key will "look" okay. That's what I had going on.

I have two integrated fobs, and two standard standard key/fob combos. Since the tribeca can only have 4 keys programmed to the car at a given time, I opted to forgo the valet key. Like Flsubies, I'm happy I did it even at the extra cost.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got a 2008 Tribeca and only got one key... the dealer is asking for over $200 to have a new one made and programmed. Looking for antother cheaper solution.

Saw the thread below. Does this actually work, and who did the programming of the key ? I went to OSH today and they said the could for this type of key.

Any advice welcome
le_souc

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the local dealer program the key, remember to take all of your keys and remotes with you when programming.

I think I paid around $65 for just the programming.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts