Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2008 had the airbag light go on. Since it had been to the dealer for the recall, we brought it in to them to check out. They said they did the recall correctly and that it seemed there was a short in the wiring harness causing the issue. So they replaced it, not a cheap fix. After that, they said the short in the wiring harness must have caused the SRS module to short out, so now they need to replace that for another $500. And that they've seen this issue before...

I spoke to a mechanic (friend of a coworker) from another dealership, and he thought it sounded like backtracking, that they didn't find the SRS module first.

I am mostly curious if anyone else has seen this issue, the engine wiring harness going bad and causing the SRS module to short out... since you know, they've seen it before.

They've had our vehicle for over a month now.

Thanks.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have not seen failed srs modules before, usually issues in the Tribeca also creep into the Legacy/outback models as well since they use the same parts. I have seen a number of issues with corrosion on the airbag connectors, those going back several model years. It seems kind of odd to have the issue after the recall was administered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Description of labor

Just received the invoice:

Cause: CHECKED FOR DTCS AND FOUND CODE 12/72 IN THE AIRBAGE SYSTEM. FOLLOWING
DIAGNOSTIC STRATEGY PER SUBARU I FOUND THAT THERE IS AN OPEN IN THE CIRCUIT
BETWEEN CONNECTOR 2U AND THE HARNESS 2P/3P. PER INSTRUCTION REPLACE BODY
HARNESS. AFTER HARNESS INSTALL THERE IS ANOTHER DTC FOR PASSENGER AIRBAG CODE
12. I FOLLOWED DIAGNOSTIC AND FOUND THE CONTROL MODULE TO BE FAULTY. RECOMMEND
SRS CONTROL MODULE.
Correction: IN ORDER TO REPLACE THE BODY HARNESS YOU HAVE TO REMOVED AND
REINSTALL THE FOLLOWING DASH PAD CENTER CONSOLE A/C RECOVER AND RECHARGE
DRAIN COOLANT/FILL AFTER REINSTALLED HEATER MATRIX REMOVE HEATER BOX AND
REINSTALL REMOVE AND REINSTALL HVAC MATRIX STEERING COLUMN WIPER COWL WIPER
MOTOR ASSMEBLY LF FENDER WELL R/F FENDER WELL BRAKE BOOSTER AIR BOX PARKING
BRAKE PEDAL ASSEMBLY THROTTLE PEDAL ASSEMBLY HOOD LATCH CABLE UNDER HOOD
ELECTRICAL CENTER

·
Registered
837 Posts
If the SRS module is in the dash that makes sense I suppose. Maybe someone with a factory service manual handy can get the specifics. If not I can pull it up later tonight on my laptop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts