Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put amps and subs in their Tribeca? I want to keep the stock head unit, swap out the speakers and add a sub. I like beefing up the sound system with out changing the factory look so that means the amps need to be hidden and the subs removable within 5 minutes. I was very successful in every other car I've done this in by means of creative wiring and fiberglass. In this application i can't really see where I'll be able to hide the amps. Before i go ripping panels apart i figured asking first would be best. I'll settle for any knowledge of pockets of dead space any one knows of. I Have 3 amps i need to hide. I already have them so i can provide specs if needed.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Do you have a 5 or 7 seat? What about below the hatch floorboard (where it lifts up)? If you have the NAV system, you could stuff an amp under the passenger seat using brackets to mount it to the seat so that it adjusts with the seat (just like the subaru add-on subwoofer). If you dont, you could put it on either the driver or passenger side; or both. You could possibly redo the RSE jacks in the hatch to hold some speaker wire plugins for quick clean removal of the subs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awd_envy said:
Do you have a 5 or 7 seat? What about below the hatch floorboard (where it lifts up)? If you have the NAV system, you could stuff an amp under the passenger seat using brackets to mount it to the seat so that it adjusts with the seat (just like the subaru add-on subwoofer). If you dont, you could put it on either the driver or passenger side; or both. You could possibly redo the RSE jacks in the hatch to hold some speaker wire plugins for quick clean removal of the subs.
Thanks for the reply!!

I have 7 seats, Nav system and i was told when purchasing the car it has a subwoofer. Although the bass sounds way to far away to be directly under the passenger seat, so i don't think i have the subs everyone talks about. I'm assuming the subwoofer is behind the grill on the right side of the cargo area. I thought about installing them under the hatch where the jack is but i don't want to lose my ability to change a tire in a jam. However while reading your reply I'm thinking it would be easier to relocate the jack as it have less requirements than the amps. Then i can put all the amps in one easy to cool place. The question then becomes where can i relocate the jack?

What's the RSE jacks? For subwoofer removal I usually hard wire the speaker wires to the box, loom them and put a 6 or 8 pin harness on them. 4 pins for the subs and the rest for power. I basically jumper the extra pins on the box side of the harness. On the amp side of the harness i run the 12 volt remote lead from the head unit and to the amps. This way the mono amps will only turn on when the subs are present. In applications like this where there is a factory sub I'll get fancy with some relays so the stock sub is off when the aftermarket subs are present and on when they're removed. If you're using a bandpass box or a box with clear walls it's a good way to route power into the box to power neon's or strobes, that's not the case here but I've done it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
klovell said:
Thanks for the reply!!

I have 7 seats, Nav system and i was told when purchasing the car it has a subwoofer. Although the bass sounds way to far away to be directly under the passenger seat, so i don't think i have the subs everyone talks about. I'm assuming the subwoofer is behind the grill on the right side of the cargo area. I thought about installing them under the hatch where the jack is but i don't want to lose my ability to change a tire in a jam. However while reading your reply I'm thinking it would be easier to relocate the jack as it have less requirements than the amps. Then i can put all the amps in one easy to cool place. The question then becomes where can i relocate the jack?

What's the RSE jacks? For subwoofer removal I usually hard wire the speaker wires to the box, loom them and put a 6 or 8 pin harness on them. 4 pins for the subs and the rest for power. I basically jumper the extra pins on the box side of the harness. On the amp side of the harness i run the 12 volt remote lead from the head unit and to the amps. This way the mono amps will only turn on when the subs are present. In applications like this where there is a factory sub I'll get fancy with some relays so the stock sub is off when the aftermarket subs are present and on when they're removed. If you're using a bandpass box or a box with clear walls it's a good way to route power into the box to power neon's or strobes, that's not the case here but I've done it.
The stock Nav system does come with a small subwoofer (in the location you pointed out), but the one I described is an extra add-on (or second stronger sub). Its not bad for its size and the fact that it can be hidden away, but its definatly nothing serious.

The RSE is the rear seat entertainment jacks. On a beca with a RSE package (overhead DVD and such) there's some jacks to hookup a playstation/xbox/wii/extra video and some audio inputs to broadcast to the screens and over the speakers or headphones. If you have the RSE package, you move the ports closer to get extra space to make you're subs "plug in" so when you pull them out there's not wires dangling around. The back side of these plugs would off course run to your amp(s). If you dont have the RSE, I'm guessing you've still got the plate but nothing in it, in which case it would be perfect to use.

The input plate is next to the 12V plug on the drivers side 3rd row, just above the cup holder.

As far as the jack and space... that's always the problem with concealing an audio system isnt it :lol:. If I remember right, alot of the space under there is for the headphones and other junk, thought it's been awhile since i've been in there so I could be completely wrong.

I "believe" you can make it look like this if you pull the large foam piece out.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Awd_envy!! You gave me some pretty good ideas. I took a look under that hatch yesterday, there's a ton of space under there. I only have foam under there tho, no plastic as the car pictured. That must be the upgrade lol. I think i can fit the amps and the jack in there if i completely re-make the compartment using fiberglass. I didn't have the time to dig deep into it but it looks like there may also be sufficient room under the 3rd row of seats. I always keep my 3rd row folded down i didn't unfold them to see if the clearance changed. I wouldn't wasn't to affect the way the seats function and I'll have to have someone sit in them to see if they'll sag and hit the amps. I'm going take some measurements and see what I can realistically do in there. I'll post pics when I'm done. Thanks again!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.