Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased an Audiovox overhead DVD system for my 2009 Tribeca and need to install it where the rear lamp is. I took out the factory rear lamp and it has Three wires: "Blue" Constant 12volts "Brown" Which has little power going through it until you open the door...Then the "Brown" wire is hot. The Third "Black" wire I'm assuming is ground. When I connect my overhead DVD player...the Instructions say how to connect this to a positive system or a negative system...Which one could it be? Has anyone installed an overhead DVD system and Know which one it is??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
??

Ok Sorry for the question but I answered it myself....if anyone would like to know it's a negative system. Now I need to figure out how to get the sound through the speakers hard wired. I thought the Aux input in the console would work but it does not any suggestions???

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
???

flip998 said:

I have an 09' and sorry but that did not answer my question. I have an AUX mini plug in the center console. I was hoping to connect my overhead DVD Player that I bought aftermarket and install the RCA out of the overhead DVD player to a mini jack and connect it to the AUX input in the console so I can hear the overhead DVD player through the speakers after pressing the Aux button on the factory radio but for some reason it does not work?? I'm trying to figure out why it's not working.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Prlauren said:
I have an 09' and sorry but that did not answer my question. I have an AUX mini plug in the center console. I was hoping to connect my overhead DVD Player that I bought aftermarket and install the RCA out of the overhead DVD player to a mini jack and connect it to the AUX input in the console so I can hear the overhead DVD player through the speakers after pressing the Aux button on the factory radio but for some reason it does not work?? I'm trying to figure out why it's not working.
Sorry, misread your original post. Have you hooked up an ipod or mp3 to your input jack to see if it works? If it does it has to be either a problem with the your rca cables or rca to mini plug adaptor presuming that it is hooked up to the right output on your overhead. What model audiovox overhead do you have? Sometimes you have to enable the output thru the menu on the overhead for it to work. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Just trouble shooting here.

Did you get the correct RCA to stereo mini jack cables?

Do you have to select an audio output from the DVD player?

·
Registered
23 Posts
If the dvd player has a headphone output, use that to plug in to the aux input. Often the signal for a line-out on a dvd player is too low for an aux jack. Chances are you might hear it if you turn everything up as high as possible, but better off using the higher output of a headphone jack.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
?????

Cables are right.....I have the stereo phono jacks with the double black rings. Plugged into Aux jack and nothing........I'll try phono to phono next. Right now from the DVD player it's: to RCA Red & White, To a 2 Female Rca Red & White Y adapter to Stereo phono = NO SOUND???? Radio Set To AUX As well. Volume up on both = Nothing. It's An Audiovox VOD102.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I looked at the manual for the VOD102, and I don't see where it has RCA audio out. It has an FM modulator, so you can tune your stereo to the frequency and pick up the sound from the DVD that way, but according to the manual, the RCA jacks on the side are auxiliary inputs, not outputs.

Check the manual, page 6, it shows auxilliary video and audio inputs.

I think you're only choices are to use the fm modulator or use the headphone jack, a straight 1/8" mini jack from that to the aux input on the tribeca should work.

--sigmead

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Sigmead said:
I looked at the manual for the VOD102, and I don't see where it has RCA audio out. It has an FM modulator, so you can tune your stereo to the frequency and pick up the sound from the DVD that way, but according to the manual, the RCA jacks on the side are auxiliary inputs, not outputs.

Check the manual, page 6, it shows auxilliary video and audio inputs.

I think you're only choices are to use the fm modulator or use the headphone jack, a straight 1/8" mini jack from that to the aux input on the tribeca should work.

--sigmead
IMO, you'd be better off running through the modulator. You won't get any better sound via the headphone output, so it wouldn't be worth it to have a wire hanging from the player to the Aux input.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
?????

Makes Sense! I think if I would have known this, I would not have purchased this. The FM modulator works ok, but I just wanted it hard wired. I thought it had a set of outputs but maybe I read wrong. Thanks for you help! Maybe If I could disconnect the Mic output from the unit, and hide the wiring under the unit that may work as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Overhead DVD???

Ok I Figured it out, just in case someone runs into the same situation. The overhead DVD player I purchased, has audio outputs but they are RCA. So a ran the RCA's down to the center console, where I used an adapter from RCA's to a single stereo mini jack cable. I ran it under the console and drilled a small hole in the console box an connected the mini jack to the AUX input in the console. Now when I play the overhead DVD player I just hit the AUX button on the dash radio and You can listen to the sound through the speakers in the vehicle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts