Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner

Aftermarket Double Din Nav Installed

58K views 82 replies 31 participants last post by  montalvo.adrianna 
#1 · (Edited)
I got to thinking about connecting my JDM legacy gt HVAC module into the tribeca. The plug is the same but the pinouts are different. This is a good start on exorcising the stock headunit for a double din unit. If I can get the HVAC to work, some cutting and bondo will fix the control panel trim. Then I can fit a proper headunit on there.

What do you guys think? Crazy or what? I need to check the electrical pinouts, but I think it's doable. The seat heaters need to be relocated and re-wired too.

**Because Imageshack has changed their policy and the pics are now all held in ransom for their new service fee, I've rehosted the pics in their own album. You can now look at all the pics from my camera.

---->>> http://imgur.com/a/nNGMG <<<----

#3 ·
Update: Buttons all work, Auto, temp up/down, etc. I got the main illumination on, but cannot figure the lcd screen illumination out. The darn Tribecas have done away with illumination as typically done in the past. There's two illumination wires, one 12v switched and another that requires feedback. I don't have the Leggy anymore so I'm hoping someone on the lgt forum can take some readings on their meter for me.

There's still the matter of the seat heater buttons, but that should be more straight forward. I'll cut the off the pcb and tap straight into the seat harness.

#5 ·
I'm impressed! It looks stock.

Have you figured out the illumination having the need for 2 signals/input? I think it has something to do with the 1) llumination brighness wheel adjustment (next to the mirror adjustment knob) and 2) when the nav screen dims whenever the headlight is turned on.

Otherwise, your mod looks great! It's clean and professional. Good job!

tsm106 said:
Dead thread is dead. Anyways, I did it.

[URL="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/85/p1080302.jpg/"]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/URL]

#8 ·
mstow42 said:
Great job. One question is how is the double din mounted? Or was the old radio mounts useable? Curious, but not enough to tear into mine quite yet :)
Thanks.

The stock mounting plates are used, but you have align the headunit for fitment. Basically get it pointed in the right direction depth and height wise and drill some new holes.

#9 ·
I got all my trim pieces back room the paint shop and the steering wheel controls hooked up with a PAC unit. I had a Metra before and it was useless, so was their tech support, lol. I also installed a 11in rear overhead dvd player. This setup is officially completed for me. The wife is ecstatic with her B9, success! In hindsight, I only wish I didn't waste so much time with the ASWC, talk about a pita.

#14 ·
WOW - you did an AMAZING job !!! Does your new system integrate with the stock Tribeca - non-nav LCD screen too ? I.E. - when you use your new audio does the FM station for example display on the stock Tribeca LCD screen ? If so how did you do that ??? Did you connect into the MBus data stream to the screen ?
ALso - will the Tribeca HVAC system work if you remove the stock Clarion Tuner and Pansonic 6-CD changer ? Did you have to integrate the HVAC or did you just do it because you could ?

#15 ·
This is freakin awesome! I've been planning in my head something like this for a while but never did it.

Any way you could make a list of parts used, and type up a step by step of what you did so I could replicate this. I really just need all of the wiring directions. I have installed tons of car stereos, but figuring out the wiring on my own is a little over my head.

#16 ·
kkomara said:
WOW - you did an AMAZING job !!! Does your new system integrate with the stock Tribeca - non-nav LCD screen too ? I.E. - when you use your new audio does the FM station for example display on the stock Tribeca LCD screen ? If so how did you do that ??? Did you connect into the MBus data stream to the screen ?
ALso - will the Tribeca HVAC system work if you remove the stock Clarion Tuner and Pansonic 6-CD changer ? Did you have to integrate the HVAC or did you just do it because you could ?
Thanks.

The system doesn't integrate with the LCD screen, but the Subaru screen still works like stock. I just figured out how to make it not display NO AUDIO all the time, or some such wording.

The stock HVAC is 100% operational. That was the goal, to get a real Navi unit in there and maintain the stock HVAC and make it look like it belonged in there. I completely removed the stock changer, except for the radios heatsink plate and tuner pcb which runs the HVAC electrics. You kinda have to keep the tuner board. Also, the tuner is not the same thing as the clarion sirrius tuner etc, that thing is long gone.

brandroid said:
This is freakin awesome! I've been planning in my head something like this for a while but never did it.

Any way you could make a list of parts used, and type up a step by step of what you did so I could replicate this. I really just need all of the wiring directions. I have installed tons of car stereos, but figuring out the wiring on my own is a little over my head.
I didn't do a writeup because of the nature of the install, and well it didn't look like there was much interest in it. Install wise, because there is a lack of proper replacement ribbon cables, the install ends up being a bit jury rigged. It works for me, but I couldn't put something like this out there and endorse it like a wiki step by step how to. If you want to do it, I've already written a general walkthrough in pm's for another member. I can see that it gets forwarded to you. The most important part is in securing a replacement HVAC panel off ebay and modifying the stock ribbon cables from failure. ;)

#24 ·
I completely removed the stock changer, except for the radios heatsink plate and tuner pcb which runs the HVAC electrics. You kinda have to keep the tuner board.
you got anymore info on what is OK to remove from stock HU, I thus far thought of just keeping intact original HU in there but lower then the new stereo, if there is a way to make stock HU smaller then I'd like to try it. IF yoo still remember after all these years.

#17 ·
How did you get it to not display "Audio Off". Have you ever messed around with the MBus data bus between the Clarion Tuner and CD changer or between the tuner and the stock non-nav lcd ? I want to replace the LCD with a 7 "Andriod tablet but I want to integrate it with the tuner so I don't lose the ability to display the tuner/cd info. Looking for someone who has figured out how to tap into this data bus. Think I can do it with a device from GROM AUDIO - but I have not been able to confirm it will allow me to get to the MBUS data objects.

#18 ·
kkomara said:
How did you get it to not display "Audio Off". Have you ever messed around with the MBus data bus between the Clarion Tuner and CD changer or between the tuner and the stock non-nav lcd ? I want to replace the LCD with a 7 "Andriod tablet but I want to integrate it with the tuner so I don't lose the ability to display the tuner/cd info. Looking for someone who has figured out how to tap into this data bus. Think I can do it with a device from GROM AUDIO - but I have not been able to confirm it will allow me to get to the MBUS data objects.
The MFD has two plugs that go into the tuner board, don't plug them both in. I forget which was which so try it out.

#19 · (Edited)
Excellent job! :tup: Even though I don't own a Tribeca, I love to see this kind of project.

(I just now noticed this thread -- I don't check here very often)

For those who would search eBay for parts to experiment on, here is how the various pieces (HU and panel) go together:
Code:
HU Ref #    Subaru PN            Panel Ref#  Subaru PN   Front  Notes
----------  ----------  ------   ----------  ----------  -----  -------------------------
CQ-EF8560X  86201XA03A  (6-CD)   CY-CF8560X  86213XA03A  P-136  (w/ seat heater controls)

CQ-JF8560X  86201XA00A  (1-CD)   CY-CF8561X  86213XA00A  P-135  (w/ seat heater controls)
"                                CY-CF8562X  86213XA02A  P-135  (no seat heater controls)
(the 1-disc HU can have either of two panel units -- with or without seat heater controls).

I Googled and happened to find the full service manuals for those two HUs (6-disc and 1-disc), and the corresponding panel units. The latter SM is attached. Find the others here.

Not sure which years those were used in, but if anyone has any reference numbers for later years, let me know and I'll update this table.
So after studying the schematics for a while, it looks like you might be able to toss the majority of the HU, and replace that with just a handful of discrete components and voltage converters. The car's A/C control signals essentially pass straight through the HU and go to the panel unit. PM to follow.

And for those who would like to play with the Tribeca's MFD, jazzymt has been doing some promising research here: Subaru Radio Digital Control Data Decoded

For posterity (and so people can admire what a clean job tsm106 did on his), attached are crappy "before" pictures (from a 2008 Tribeca Ltd).
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Subaru Subaru tribeca
Car Vehicle Subaru tribeca City car Compact car

Attachments

#22 ·
My hat off to you Sir ,being a electronics buff and having played with the wiring on the beca i know all the problems you probably had to sort out ,well done!!!

#23 ·
Thanks. The electrical was the most difficult part but luckily after switching to the replacement stock faceplate it was just a matter of logistics. Removing and discarding all the stock stereo parts and then reconnecting the hvac was the hardest part, or should I say pain in my ass. :cool:

#26 ·
i was able to fit stock HU in there and a double din, and like you said i had problems with connecting tiny ribbon cables, while messing with all that I knocked on of the ribbon connectors off the PCB and at that point started to solder in longer wires instead of the ribbon cables, and that is where I kinda lost the motivation. all i need now is to finish something like 40 tiny (.76mm) solders and plug it in.

So what you are saying the cd player part can just be removed while keeping all the rest?

#28 · (Edited)
Yea, I removed everything or more like disassembled it all and only kept the tuner board (the pcb with the tuner dial), which supplies power to the hvac.

http://i.imgur.com/oTZIA6s.jpg

From this, I connected the tuner board which used the two ribbons. I wrapped the ribbons in tape and superglue to strengthen them. I also removed the dial from the tuner board (important later) and once connected via the ribbons the bare tuner board just folds over right on top of the hvac controls. Imagine in the above pic with the tuner board folded over and being taped to there. This is made easier by removing the dial. Normally the tuner board would sit in front of the stock HU in that main opening, and on the front of it is the dial knob. In short, I removed the HU and all the junk, kept the tuner board, removed the knob, connected the ribbons to the hvac knobs, folded the tuner board over, taped it together securely.

I'll have to open it up. It's been 5 years now, lol I've probably forgotten a lot of what I did.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but MY08-14 have a tuner board that is separate from the HU, no?
The tuner board is the front pcb on the actual stock HU. **Or maybe it was connected to the faceplate? Ya I think it was mounted to the faceplate, lol. The power runs thru that board then is sent to all the other boards. To run the hvac seamlessly, I had to keep that board and just that board from the stock HU. Thinking back, I believe the I had to keep the stock HU's powersupply, the amp section. The tuner gets it's power from the powersupply, then passes control of the hvac thru to the dials, knobs, etc. Maybe I will time to pull it apart tomorrow to solder the connections for the metra swc. And at thatt time I will refresh my memory and take some inside pics.

#29 ·
#30 ·
ok yeh we are did almost the same thing, only you slightly rearranged stock HU to make it smaller, and i cut a piece of the plastic below to fit it as is.
heres my face plate

and here is where that tiny ribbon cable holder was, i decided since i knocked it off to solder wires to pcb and to the connector thus extending the cable length, now i just need to do the same on the other side.

#36 ·
This is outstanding work! Very professional and nicely done!

I'm looking for the same thing need to fit a double-din receiver into the dash where the current stereo is located in my 2008 Subaru Tribeca (loaded) SUV. While keeping all functionality of existing switches and knobs. The pictures I've seen here were outstanding and very professional. So I need someone who can do the custom panel relocating whatever you need to relocate and give you the room to mount and fit a standard double-din receiver in that spot.

I can buy extra parts if needed and send them to you. I'm located in New Jersey and have the ability to install the double-din receiver into the new panel. Just need someone to re-design that panel for this install. Feel free to call me anytime at: 201-321-0438. Thank You for your time....Bob

#31 ·
The ribbons are the biggest pita. Since I had two faceplates, I ended up using the ribbons that connect the knobs to the hvac controller. They are wider so I trimmed them down. Worst case I would buy the one faceplate on ebay going for 130. Oh btw, here's a pic for the steering wheel control. It's not detailed anywhere well that I could find. It's the brown wire here correlating with the green from the pac unit. I used a pac swi-ps, giving full access to the steering wheel buttons.

http://i.imgur.com/DvBQqoA.jpg

#33 ·
Nice nice. Now you gotta finish man!

Btw, have you looked into the rear sub? I have a whole set of separates f and coaxes r (iirc). But I might just run the speakers off the pio nav unit and run a mono amp to the sub. The stocker is a puny 6" lol. Oh I also wired the center speaker bridged-stereo-center to the pio unit. This way it's not such a big deal, won't have to make a amp tray etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.