Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I need to replace the brake pads on my wifes '06 B9. I called the dealer and they wany almost $225 for Subaru pads! Gonna go with something else. Anyone try anything that they liked and was less costly? Also any noisey ones?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
552 Posts
As long as your not looking for a performance upgrade, you should be able to go to any autoparts store and they can either get you the "house" brand (ie: NAPA) or some other common brand. They should definitely be less than the OEM ones, probably about 33% less.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was told by a subaru mechanic to use a premium grade after market pad that is made of porcelin because metal pads will make tons of noise , I just bought pads today (59$) and will be putting them on in the next day or so ill keep you posted on the results

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
illstuff said:
I was told by a subaru mechanic to use a premium grade after market pad that is made of porcelin because metal pads will make tons of noise , I just bought pads today (59$) and will be putting them on in the next day or so ill keep you posted on the results
Be sure to let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
139 Posts
You're only replacing pads? How many miles on that '06 of yours? Might be smart to get new rotors on there, seeing as you'll have the thing apart. New pads + old rotors = decent. New pads + new rotors = outstanding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
brake pads

Magic Marker said:
Be sure to let us know how it goes!
changed oil rotated tires ,replaced sway arm bushings and replaced brake pads today with ceramic pads from auto zone . The new pads seem to be working great no noise what so ever . My beca has 50 k and the rotors were still SOLID and the old pads were worn out evenly with each other < always a good sign. While doing all of this I also tried to replace the fog light bulbs and could not figure them out , does anyone know the trick , I do not have a shop manual and dont know if there is a trick to the fog light or not but I had no luck can someone explain the proces. Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you have an Autopart International in your area, get a set of Posi-Mets from them. I put fronts on at 40K and just put rears on at 55K. No noise or excess dusting. We use these pads on almost every vehicle that goes through our shop with no issues at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all,
I ended up replacing them with Akebono pads. Cost was about $109 for front and rear. Much cheaper than stock. So far, so good. No noise and working well. I too was surprised that the rotors are holding up so well. Only 34K on the car, but my wife drives it and is hard on the brakes and rotors.

·
Registered
34 Posts
ours is at 69,000 and I'm about to finally change the brakes and tires for the first time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
y1der said:
i just love the Akebono pads, perfect and what a great improvement!
I think the stock pads may even be Akebono. I know they were on my son's SVX and I think they were for my WRX too.

I am getting ready to order Hawk Performance Ceramic. We'll see how those work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Installed the Hawk Ceramics last week, broke them in and my three-day impression is that these are the pads that should've come on the 'Beca from the factory.
braking is smooth and even and when needed will pull the speed down quickly without issue.

The rotors had barely any wear to them after 67k but if you are at this mileage and haven't changed your pads you probably will be soon. The wear indicator on the stock pads doesn't leave much material left so if you hear the indicator change your pads immediately.

Update: Still love the pads. Nearly no dust, no fade when pushed, no noise. Only caveat is you will have a decrease in initial bite.

·
Registered
11 Posts
icecold said:
What kind of Hawk Ceramics did you get?
As far as I know there is only the Hawk Performance Ceramic.

They are only available for the front as of a few weeks ago so I had to order Akebono ceramics for the rear.

·
Registered
345 Posts
For the last few months our '08 with 30k miles has started squeaking when the brakes are applied. So I've been contemplating taking her in for new brake pads.

Last year I took my Dodge Ram 1500 in to Midas to get new brake pads put on. They used ceramic pads with a lifetime warranty. However, they pressured me into resurfacing the rotors which is where the real cost was. When I questioned them about this they said they always resurface the rotors and wouldn't install new pads without doing that.

But in reading this thread it appears most of you are just adding new pads without resurfacing the rotors. So I wanted to see resurfacing the rotors is really necessary. If not, I might try putting the pads on myself if it's an easy process. It's probably been 20 years since I did my own breaks (on a VW Rabbit) and know a lot has changed. So I don't want to start something I can't finish.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Brien said:
Last year I took my Dodge Ram 1500 in to Midas to get new brake pads put on. They used ceramic pads with a lifetime warranty. However, they pressured me into resurfacing the rotors which is where the real cost was.
But in reading this thread it appears most of you are just adding new pads without resurfacing the rotors. So I wanted to see resurfacing the rotors is really necessary. If not, I might try putting the pads on myself if it's an easy process. It's probably been 20 years since I did my own breaks (on a VW Rabbit) and know a lot has changed. So I don't want to start something I can't finish.
It is an easy process. If you did your Rabbit's pads you can do the 'Beca's.

HERE is a good read on the topic of resurfacing the rotor.

I just rough up the surface of the rotor with 60 grit granite sandpaper.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.