Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum in hope of finding someone with any info on modifying the audio system in an '06 B9T Ltd w/o nav. Ultimately I would like to replace the whole system, but that may not be possible. Another route would be to install a parallel system. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Welcome. Let me ask you what your audio goals are. Will you be ok loosing the steering wheel controls? What about the information LCD panel? At the moment, I don't even know if there is an install kit for B9's in general.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I wouldn't mind losing the existing controls. I was thinking about a separate pre-amp/amp(s)/new speakers if needed. I don't think I can use the existing head unit and the dash won't lend itself to a new head unit. I could always install the electronics in the back storage area and use a remote. I was just wondering if anybody has taken the initiative to undertake an audio re-do.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I think you have some options, but are you trying to boom your B9 down the street or do you just want something clear and better then stock?

Here's my past experience. In my 96 Civic, I had a full set up. Highend Kenwood HU, MB Quart components up front, Orion 6X9's in the rear, a 5 channel amp and a 10" ported Kicker sub. Suffice to say, it sounded amazing and you could hear me coming a few blocks away. I really enjoyed that system, but I did lose some trunk space due to the sub. Sold that Civic.

Bought my gf's Civic with a decent HU, full range speakers up front, one channel amp and 10" ported sub. It was ok....nothing like what I had, but sufficient. I sorta got tired of that Civic and of 2 door cars in general. I'm in the middle of selling that one now.

I just picked up an 08 Impreza Outback Sport. It already came with their premium sound system and I added the iPod integration kit and amplifier with sub. I have to say it sounds pretty good for stock. I would only change out the front speakers as the highs aren't high enough for me. I don't have any plans to change out the stock headunit. I love the steering wheel controls and the stock HU already has a 6 disc changer and the mentioned iPod integration.

So I guess you could say that I've had different audio needs at different times in my life. I'm a little older now and I love how my OEM set up looks and it sounds pretty good as is.

As for tearing into the B9, I'm thinking you could first try changing out all the speakers. That should help a bit. Then you can go into audio processors. I've never had experience with them, but it's a good way to keep your stock controls.

"You can keep the look and functionality of your factory stereo, and still get outstanding audiophile sound with JL Audio's CleanSweep sound processor. It connects to your factory stereo's speaker lines and cleans up the stereo's output by sweeping away any processing from the stereo that could diminish the sound quality.
Many factory stereos use built-in equalization designed to make cheap factory speakers sound better, but this dressed-up signal can prevent aftermarket speakers from living up to their potential. The CleanSweep uses a 32-bit digital signal processor to remove the factory adjustments, then sends your external amplifiers a perfectly clean signal."

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=168450&i=136441DSP&tp=84

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You hit the nail on the head with your statement of increased clarity and definition, the Clean sweep seems to be the best option. I too am a little more "mature" (50), but I truly appreciate a good sound system. From the Cleansweep I can interface new amps, iPhone, even sat. radio. Now, how can I find how to remove panels, consoles,...?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Now, how can I find how to remove panels, consoles,...?
I'd bet Peaty has some instructions how to take the dash apart. I'm sure he'll chime in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
h,mm options, options, options. I allready have a cheap analog to digital convertor and it works ok, allthough I'm not happy with it. And I am in the process of gettting another factory stereo panel to have modified so I can hook up an aftermaket stereo. But this would in the end be a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I eventually went with the Clean Sweep but it limited my options because it bypassed the factory head unit and its pre-amp. In the end it's a compromise
I feel I'll eventually redo. A complete head unit replacement is the way to go.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The big thing for me is it has to sound damn good and still be able to hook up an IPOD. I allready spent almost 3,000 redoing all the speakers and adding a sub so the only thing left is the head unit. So its a question of what to do. I found a good deal on a clean sweep for 150 so I think I'm going to jump on that and see how it goes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
SGT Goltz said:
The big thing for me is it has to sound damn good and still be able to hook up an IPOD. I allready spent almost 3,000 redoing all the speakers and adding a sub so the only thing left is the head unit. So its a question of what to do. I found a good deal on a clean sweep for 150 so I think I'm going to jump on that and see how it goes.
how did it turn out?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts