Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
just got this 06 Tribeca and being a Tekki I miss USB & Bluetooth. Fm transmitter works alright but then I came across this gadget:
Grom Audio USB3 (SUB08U3)
Says it plugs into the CD-Changer slot in the back of the stereo. This would show everything on the system screen too.
Has anybody used such a thing? and how hard would it be to get to the back of the radio unit?
cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you, that looks simple enough. If anybody has something like it installed let us know how it works and if it is much better than just an FM transmitter (like sound quality and ease of use)
cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would like some info on this also if someone has installed this and how well it worked. If I go this route I would be purchasing the Grom unit for SAT and also purchase the HD FM tuner that way while you are listening to the radio and your phone rings it will alert you through the factory radio and you can answer without switching inputs. without FM HD adapter if you are listening to regular FM and a call comes in you will hear it through your phone only then you need to hit SAT or CD on your factory radio to hear it through the cars speakers.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have used a GROM is 3 cars. A 1995 Volvo 960, 2002 Chevy Suburban and 2005 Volvo XC90, with great success. As with anything, there is a learning curve, but the sound is FAR superior to those crappy FM things. Streaming bluetooth and ipod worked flawlessly. Call quality was lacking but I think that has more to do with microphone placement than the unit itself as it worked pretty good when the car was parked. There were times when it would lose connection and I'd need to reconnect, but these were few. It isn't perfect but a solid 8.5 / 10. Their customer service is amazing too. Sometimes you will need to flash the unit with new firmware for it to function but they send you the flash and walk you through it. I will say, though, I just bought one for my daughter's1998 Toyota Avalon that we have not been able to get functioning. We are trying to determine if it is the GROM or the actual stereo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So the 2006 was the only model that didn't have an Aux input. Someone put together some instructions on how to add one but it won't show any information on the screen. I use one of those bluetooth aux things for handfree calling and music. It's not ideal but it's easier than what you're proposing.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grom Audio is a no go :-(

So finally ordered a Grom USB, had it shipped to Belize and paid customs, put it in, which was easy with the help of the video, BUT it doesn't work.
Found out from customer support that the Tribeca with SatNav is not supported. Well they take it back for a refund but the shipping to and from here plus the duty I paid is gone :mad:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought one of the $17 units off ebay, a little square-ish unit that has a USB-plugin for power and a headphone jack to plug into the aux-in in my console arm rest. I love it. When the car radio is in auxilary/rse i have to keep the volume between 35-40 to hear when answering a phone call, music comes through bluetooth from my iphone 6s nice and clear and loud, and the forward and reverse work to flip through songs. Nobody has complained they can't hear me when I'm talking on the phone. The other nice thing is that if I switch back to FM or CD on the radio, the volume adjusts automatically to whatever volume I was listening to before (it doesn't stay at the 35-40 I need to have it set at for the phone call). I would go this route again if I had to, super easy, and I can take it with me to my next vehicle very easily if I need to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sadly I have one of the few models without the aux-in. So apparently there is no way I can add USB/Bluetooth other than with an FM transmitter (which sounds like crap). Back to (mp3-)CDs LOL
The Grom would have been nice since it emulates a CD changer so everything would be on the screen and the car´s search/skip buttons would work with it, unlike on an FM transmitter which is a pita to work with (change folders, look for a track, switch to Bluetooth etc.)
Well, it is a great idea and was a good try. If you wanna try it, make sure your stereo is supported...

·
Registered
741 Posts
Adding auxiliary input to 2006 model has been covered pretty well, and you would be accessing audio unit wire connections anyway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also my Aux is taken by the RearSeatEntertainment, don't know how that would affect it. Anyway, looking for vids about adding aux I came about somebody who took out the SatNav and put a DVB TV Tuner wt USB instead - well he didnt show how, just braggin about having it lol
but that would be another option I guess since my SatNav is useless in Central America anyway(or are there maps?)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts