Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a scorcher this weekend with temps topping 105F. I rode in an '05 Honda Civic, an '01 GMC Sierra and my '06 Tribeca and my AC really disappointed me. Both the Civic and Sierra blew air that became ice cold within a couple minutes. Mine took forever to get cold and never had that icy feel to it. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Your 06 may be due for a recharge. Doable for a shadetree mechanic, but you can also have it done by a pro. BTW, its normal for the AC system to grow weaker over time (especially if used frequently.)

·
Registered
552 Posts
I agree with jimbo...it could probably use a recharge especially if your 06 was first sold in 05. A lot of cars will need a recharge after 4-5 yrs...my 03 Accord is normally an ice box and 2 yrs ago it just stopped cooling. After a recharge it was/has been good as new.

It's usually about $99 to have it done at a instant oil change place or a local auto parts store (ie: Pep Boys). You can get DIY kits for about $40, but I dunno about their quality. If you're looking to do it an oil change place, you might want to check their website b/c the tech needs to be certified for refridgerant work and not all places have one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Don't forget the volume size in the cabin. A civic is a drop compared to the cavernous interior of the B9. It would take a shorter amount of time to cool a Civic at nominal A/C charge than cooling a B9 at nominal A/C charge. It does take a awhile, but if you have the 3rd row it works faster when you have it on as opposed to having it off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As I remember it...it's non use that will cause a system to bleed down quicker than a system that is used on a somewhat regular basis.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ya, I have to agree with you IHiGHJiNKS. We live in Sacramento and it was well in the 100's last weekend.

The Tribeca A/C just isn't very good, at least in hot temperatures. I get colder and stronger air from my '04 Ram 1500. Unfortunately, I doubt there is anything we can do about it. But it is a disappointment nonetheless.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Brien said:
The Tribeca A/C just isn't very good, at least in hot temperatures. I get colder and stronger air from my '04 Ram 1500. Unfortunately, I doubt there is anything we can do about it. But it is a disappointment nonetheless.
I have to disagree. My AC works great even in extreme weather, and we KNOW what extremes are here in the desert southwest (110+with 55+ dew point = "MUGLY" = "muggy + ugly" :).

Mine will freeze me out if I don't adjust it at some point. However, as the temp AND the humidity go up (and it is very humid out here in July and August), your AC will struggle to work harder, and it's noticeable. I'll bet yours is just low on refrigerant, and that'll probably do it.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
345 Posts
kmartin said:
I have to disagree. My AC works great even in extreme weather, and we KNOW what extremes are here in the desert southwest (110+with 55+ dew point = "MUGLY" = "muggy + ugly" :).

Mine will freeze me out if I don't adjust it at some point. However, as the temp AND the humidity go up (and it is very humid out here in July and August), your AC will struggle to work harder, and it's noticeable. I'll bet yours is just low on refrigerant, and that'll probably do it.

Keep us posted!
My refrigerant is fine. I just think the A/C isn't as good as other vehicles I've owned.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Brien said:
My refrigerant is fine. I just think the A/C isn't as good as other vehicles I've owned.
I see...you're probably right. However my parents have always owned GM vehicles, and they have all had very inadequate and trouble-prone ACs. None of them have been anywhere near as good as the ACs in the 4 Subies I've owned in the past 17 years. Maybe I'm just used to the heat by now and it doesn't seem to bother me as much :)

-Karen-

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It's another hot one today and my a/c is officially blowing warm air. This issue, along with my current engine light issue and the fuel issue that took 3 weeks to fix is really frustrating me. All of these issues in only 3 and a half months of ownership. What the hell?

·
Registered
4 Posts
IHiGHJiNKS said:
It's another hot one today and my a/c is officially blowing warm air. This issue, along with my current engine light issue and the fuel issue that took 3 weeks to fix is really frustrating me. All of these issues in only 3 and a half months of ownership. What the hell?
Did you figure out what some of the deal is with these issues?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took it in and had them test the AC. Of course, it was a cool day so they said the AC was just fine. Pretty frustrating.

Weird thing though.. I had my nephew with me this past weekend and he rode in the back seat (I never have anyone in the back seat). It was a hot one and as soon as I had him turn the fan on in the back seat, the AC suddenly blew cold. I've had it on low in the back since and haven't had any issues. Was I supposed to know that?

Oh yeah.. the engine light came on as it had been the last few days when I drove to the dealership in the evening. I dropped it off and when they started the car the next morning, the engine light miraculously was off. :mad: They hooked it up to the computer and the code they found indicated the car had been VERY low on gas. Weird, because the tank was half full when the lights all came on. :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
IHiGHJiNKS said:
I took it in and had them test the AC. Of course, it was a cool day so they said the AC was just fine. Pretty frustrating.

Weird thing though.. I had my nephew with me this past weekend and he rode in the back seat (I never have anyone in the back seat). It was a hot one and as soon as I had him turn the fan on in the back seat, the AC suddenly blew cold. I've had it on low in the back since and haven't had any issues. Was I supposed to know that?

Oh yeah.. the engine light came on as it had been the last few days when I drove to the dealership in the evening. I dropped it off and when they started the car the next morning, the engine light miraculously was off. :mad: They hooked it up to the computer and the code they found indicated the car had been VERY low on gas. Weird, because the tank was half full when the lights all came on. :confused:
All sounds pretty odd. Hopefully better luck in the future! :tup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally got this fixed. Hopefully for good. Here's the novel...

So last year, my buddy, who was working at Subaru at the time, brought my car in and recharged my freon. My A/C worked the entire summer. The summer hit this year and the A/C began blowing warm air again.

Brought the Tribeca in and was finally able to prove to the service advisor that the car was blowing hot air (high temp that day = 101 degrees). He tells me to come back in a couple days, they take it in and find out the door that covers the heater vent is seized in an open position, allowing warm/hot air to escape when the A/C is on.

After 2 long weeks... waiting for the replacement parts (1 week wait), figuring out there was another broken part (5 day wait), breaking the harness on the back of my navi (another day's wait.. weird that they couldn't overnight any of the other parts), I finally have my car back and it's finally blowing cold air. What an ordeal...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts