Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang...hoping someone can give me some help on where to find the fan or blower that's used for the AC (and I'm assuming the heater).

It was dying a slow death over the summer and now doesn't run. The AC works, the heat works...just the fan doesn't work at all anymore.

Right before it died altogether it was starting and stopping a lot - and I noticed if it was really hot in the interior from the summer sun, it wouldn't run, then as the interior cooled, it would come on...but now, it just doesn't work at all.

Is this easy to get to or do I have to remove half the interior of the car?

I'm not even sure exactly where it is.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
108 Posts
I wonder if it might be the relay. The relay tends to be easier to access and cheaper than a new motor, so you might consider trying that first. I replaced one in my old Jeep GC after the fan stuck in the "on" position and it was a cinch. Only a thought -- I know just enough about auto a/c to be dangerous....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
location of relay

tribeca09 said:
I wonder if it might be the relay. The relay tends to be easier to access and cheaper than a new motor, so you might consider trying that first. I replaced one in my old Jeep GC after the fan stuck in the "on" position and it was a cinch. Only a thought -- I know just enough about auto a/c to be dangerous....
Any idea where the relay might be? I'd give it a try first...

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FWIW...my problem turned out to be the blower itself. However, if it might benefit someone...here are the things I checked along the way:

1. The relays are in under the hood in with the fuses. I tested all of them, no issues.

2. The plug for the fan motor - I disconnected it and checked to see if it there was any voltage across it when I turned the fan on. There was, indicating the fan was probably dead.

3. When I pulled the fan out, I connected it to the battery and it didn't turn so I got a new one, did the same test, and it worked fine.

One pain in the neck with this job is you have take the glove box out to get at everything. Lots of interior plastic to remove.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like the problem with my Wife's Tribeca. Same symptoms and also I checked relay and fuses in box under hood. Going to dealer today. 123K miles on '06 vehicle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.