Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

wanted to share my experience, perhaps somebody else could find it useful :)

problem was - rear Y-pipe was heavily rusted and rear muffler flanges were gone too.
Tire Automotive tire Aircraft Vehicle Wheel

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Tire

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so, it all started a while ago... first last exhaust flanges (before rear mufflers) started to leak (black dust all around) - workshop welded some pipes over the joing, removing flanges...
then, in spring, couple of hours before going to airport - left muffler declared independance
Tire Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Vehicle

and turns out - not the best welding job removing flanges
Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Automotive exterior Gas

and the muffler itself is thinking about retiring :D

Anyway - after returning, workshop welded it somehow there, but informed me, that it is beginning of the end. Understood.
Started to think about it, look for information... made topic about Y-pipes replacement - Facelift 3.6 exhausts rear Y-piece

So, again for criteria:
  • since I am planning do all exhaust (starting manifolds) in year or two (supercharger seems fantastic idea :) - I didn't want to spend more than absolutely neccessary, because when doing all the exhaust from scratch - this one is going to be thrown out.
  • I didn't want to worsen performance (sounds funny, right? :D

Anyway - my initial plan was to get part of exhaust, which included Y-pipe, cut to length, use some clamps and, hopefully, get it done on parking lot at house (I like to get my hands dirty :D
as always - boy, was I wrooooooooong :D

Got myself that Walker 50366 ( https://catalog.walkerexhaust.com/c...CTIVE&locale=en&methodName=displayPartDetails ). This part - when looking from one side - is fantastic, from other - true asshole product. When you need to connect the original exhaust pipe to this one - you will find out that original is 54mm outer diameter and walker is 56mm... and in case you want to find some clamp... you can try to go to usual napa, advance, carquest, whoever else - they don't have clamps like that.
Tried - https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7333972 (seemed the closest one) - didn't work, but I might be responsible for that :)
Anyway - I was lucky to find online this:
fit PURRRRFECTLY :) couldn't be happier with it.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive exterior

And the day I was driving to DIY garage first time... about midway I got another "attempt to be independent":
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Rear flanges before mufflers were issue - at first I wanted to saw off flanges from Walkers Y-pipe and put some connecting pipes - Walker 41926 - and clamp them
, but at last moment I realized that it is very close to bend and those pipes need some straight pipe (if I don't weld it).

Aaaaaand again - no stores have neccessary size flanges, even goddamn Walker doesn't sell flanges for this size (somehow their flanges have screw holes closer by 2/5 inch than on this Y-pipe they sell themselves :D
Next idea - make "repair flange" for rear mufflers. Those you can buy, but way larger sizes than in this case...

so, again, https://www.bearriverconverters.sto...o-bolt-exhaust-flange-fits-1-7-8-1-15-16-pipe - Bear River Converters, thank you!
welded together with those Walker 41926 and it fit.

Automotive tire Vehicle Tread Tire Automotive exhaust

Also - I wasn't able to saw off old pipes from Tribeca on parking lot, but, luckily, found DIY garage - Home - Gearhead (still 1hour drive to them, but since nobody lets you in workshops - INSURANCE OBJECTS!!!)

Anyway - I ended up driving to DIY garage twice, instead of one drive there, could have avoided those attempts to fix this exhaust in workshop...
But, overall, interesting :D
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

p.s. I believe it was next day after I finished that I saw this guy on some parking lot... I feel your pain, bro :D

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

·
Administrator
737 Posts

·
Administrator
737 Posts

·
Administrator
737 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts