Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was having hard random shifts and P1710 fault code with flashing A/T light, ABS and traction control with a 2008 2.0lt GT Legacy.
Research suggested this is a common problem with the later model BP transmissions. Subaru's fix is a new Valve Body, Big $$$$.
P1710 is "Turbine Speed 2 sensor" being a Hall effect sensor that detects the speed of the input shaft. The sensor is not available for sale by itself.

I bought a generic 1/2" Hall effect sensor.
https://www.amazon.com/NJK-5002C-Ef...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TT3R8Y1DQBTX8KXFWPMK

I mounted this sensor on the valve body in exactly the same position as the original sensor, connected the Grd, Pwr and signal wires to the harness

Nearly 4 months on the car is still driving sweet. No hard shifts No fault codes

The following link is to photos before and after

Attachments

·
Registered
800 Posts
OK I found your post on the Outback board. This is a very clever idea. The solution as presented seems to apply to 2008 and later models of Tribeca (second version of 5EAT with TCU inside), but hopefully, a similar fix would apply to the early version as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I think the earlier version has two sensors located on top of valve body so not sure if this remedy would work. Most Hall effect sensors work the same way and use similar voltages. The limiting issue in this case is the height of the sensor above the valve body in regard to mounting and wire harness. Most Hall effect sensors could do the job but are unable to be mounted in this confined space. Most externally used Hall effect sensors utilise electrical connecting plugs which is not ideal in this case, its better to be hard wired.

My Trans had the TCU under the dash panel. Trans is a TG5D7CBDAA or Jatco JR507E

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1 Posts
When you solder in the new sensor, what precautions do you need to take as far as insulation? Did you use heatshrink? Will the solder joints be in transmission fluid? Did the repair require removing the valve body? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone.
I recently went through this frustration with my granddaughter's 2008 Legacy GT. I paid over $200 to get a sensor overnight out of Canada.
As a result of that experience I decided to make the sensor available here in the US at reasonable price. You can get it with or without the filter. See links below. Thank you.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133239156024
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133200929693

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was having hard random shifts and P1710 fault code with flashing A/T light, ABS and traction control with a 2008 2.0lt GT Legacy.
Research suggested this is a common problem with the later model BP transmissions. Subaru's fix is a new Valve Body, Big $$$$.
P1710 is "Turbine Speed 2 sensor" being a Hall effect sensor that detects the speed of the input shaft. The sensor is not available for sale by itself.

I bought a generic 1/2" Hall effect sensor.
NJK-5002C Hall Effect Sensor Proximity Switch NPN 3-Wires Normally Open: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I mounted this sensor on the valve body in exactly the same position as the original sensor, connected the Grd, Pwr and signal wires to the harness

Nearly 4 months on the car is still driving sweet. No hard shifts No fault codes

The following link is to photos before and after
Hi thanks for this, I will follow this method also. What material have you used there to mount the sensor onto? is it home made like a polymer? Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts