Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just realized my new B9 Tribeca has a little vibration when starting the engine from cold (after sitting in garage overnight).

But later when driving it's gone or just not so noticible (because of road noises?).

Please advice if you have the same problem (if it is), and what's the reason or solution.

Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
my '06 does it too, its just from the hubs being cold, as you start driving and they warm up from friction the vibrations will go away

·
Registered
6 Posts
lengs83 said:
my '06 does it too, its just from the hubs being cold, as you start driving and they warm up from friction the vibrations will go away

??????
So you are saying when sitting still, like you would be when you first start you vehicle the "HUBS" cause the car to shake? Is there another Hub in the engine that Subarus have?

please clarify

My 06 shakes quite a bit upon start-up...which you would think to be an issue since the engine has horizontally imposed cylinders which is supposed damn near eliminate vibration, not shake roughly like that.....?

·
Registered
22 Posts
my bad i was referring to the wheel hubs. If it is the engine shaking then its either a worn / loose engine mount or the engine is missing and not all cylinders are firing when the should be

·
Registered
6 Posts
lengs83 said:
my bad i was referring to the wheel hubs. If it is the engine shaking then its either a worn / loose engine mount or the engine is missing and not all cylinders are firing when the should be
Thats what I thought you were talking about...just asking...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I started our 06 beca today (18° outside) and the vehicle was shaking lime the motor was missing but no warning light on dash lit up....once it ran for a little bit and warmed up it went away... tonight's it did the same thing (30° out) and ran find after warming up no warning lights came on this time either.... if it was a loose motor mount or a bad plug/wire wouldn't it just continue even after warming up??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try a blown head gasket. The engine is trying to burn coolant leaking into the cylinders. I would get it tested to see if you're loosing coolant into combustion. I just had the same issue, ended up having a warped head and a cracked head.

·
Registered
18 Posts
WHAT?!?!? Iv had this vehicle for three weeks! PISS!!!! I was told that the vehicle was thoroughly checked over by the Subaru dealerships mechanics were we got it. God I hope your wrong.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I posted here while at work with info from my wife on the sound when starting up cold.... I came home from work (7am) it is 20° outside beca has been parked outside for 12hrs roughly. I popped the hood to find the battery tie down bracket half off. I put it back in place and Tightened that down. Left hood open turns key to accessory and turned radio off and vents off..... started her up and no noise at all. Idk if it was the battery tie down bracket clanking against inner wheel well or what but I don't hear anything abnormal or different from the day we got it so who knows. Ill check oil for "milky film" but as of now Im thinking it was just that battery bracket clanking against inner wheel well...

·
Registered
6 Posts
you can have blown head gaskets without coolant leaking into the oil system. Sometimes the milky oil will not show up as a symptom if the coolant is leaking into the combustion chambers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Been a couple days not another single sound when starting up after an overnight low of 20°-30° ... the oil in our 99 outback 150k miles and the 06 Tribeca 83k both have the same consistency and color so Idk we will still get compression and plugs and wires checked this week to make sure but so far no noise again

·
Registered
6 Posts
oh I was going by you saying the vehicle was shaking and not rattling. Mine was shaking for a bit when started up and would eventually stop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts