Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two things happened today.

I got the Consumer Reports annual auto issue and they said the big services vary greatly in price, so shop around.

I then went to my dealer to pick up my older Subaru for a minor warranty item. The couple ahead of me was picking up their 2006 Tribeca. The service tech stated that they also added a new cabin air filter to the bill. I started hearing the numbers as he told them how much to make the check out for. At first I heard 76 and thought that may be a little high for an oil change and filter change. I then heard him quote 760 and some change. They kept writing the check without blinking and I looked up on the price board and sure enough the major K services are listed at $700+ (30, 60, 90).

Does anybody have a ballpark price for the 30K service? I am stll a couple of years away but seriously doubt that no more than $200 needs to be done at 30K. Luckily I know an excellent mostly Subaru independent a few miles away. He charges more for oil changes but I may have to get a current quote from him for the major services. I think he quoted under 200 a few years ago.

·
Registered
22 Posts
yup

I got a quote from an independent Subaru only shop and they wanted that much also. I ended up doing it at a dealer and I told them I'd changed the air filter and rotated the tires myself (I had) and that saved me a bit but it was still too much. Let me know what you find and end up doing as I'm in Pugetopolis also..

·
Registered
82 Posts
The 30K requires ALL fluids to be serviced, rotate, oil change, cabin filter and air filter. $700+ sounds right. At my cost on my wife's it was $275. The '05 and up Subarus require special transmission fluid $$$. Don't let anyone put the wrong stuff in. The coolant service requires and additive(required for warranty) 60K is the same plus spark plugs.

Anyone who doesn't tell you that this is all needed is lying to you.:)

BTW, I am a Service manager(former tech) at an independant facility which does specialize in Subarus.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Ahhh, the costs of maintenance for our Subies.....but you do what you have to do.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just paid $638 for my 60,000 service PLUS cabin air filter yesterday at the dealership. They gave me a 10% off coupon for the service and a discount on the cabin air filter labor. Pricey it is!

·
Registered
180 Posts
My local indy charges me a lot less. Trans flush is $169, oil change is $10, brake and cooling flush is $50, I bring my own oil, filter, brake fluid (I like ate superblue). I have a rechargeable air filter, tire rotation I help him do at no extra charge, and I do my own cabin filter. Spark plugs are an extra $50 (again I supply my own).

Same goes for the 90k with belts/thermostat/etc. I bring my parts, he charges labor.

Granted, I am also his attorney, so we do barter some. I think "normal" person prices including parts is usually $450-500, but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 60k service comes up soon so I made a couple of calls today. Planet Subaru, they call themselves "Undealership" because of fair treatment and other BS, asked $750 for the service. Called couple of other places and in general price is around $400-450.
BTW, I have additional service to do, as puddle lights caused a little fire:)), Undealership wanted 295 to fix some wiring, the other dealer asked 100 for the same job.
Guess the name stealership is well justified for some of these guys.

Anyways, DO NOT pay $700 for 60K service, you are being ripped off!

Marek

1 - 7 of 7 Posts