Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Nov 07 model with an LPG tank. I don't want the enormous expense of fitting a towbar ($1400 via Subaru excluding the carrier!!) so I'm looking to buy a 4 bike carrier which you attach to the rear of the car. Has anyone managed to find a suitable model? Most of what I see - wont work because of the rear spoiler. Len.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Not sure where you live, but $1400 is rediculous! If you won't actully tow, can just get the hitch assembly ($300 USD) without the tranny cooler.

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/index.php?cPath=73_74

Also, I believe Thule make some roof racks that fit on the Tribeca. If you're in Europe, it may be cheaper to buy parts from a US dealer and just have them shipped. I know Greekboy has had parts shipped to Greece from the US.

Also, you have an LPG tank:eek: LPG = Liquid Propane Gas in the US:Dunno:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Liquid Petroleum Gas. Available as an option through your friendly local Subaru dealer:
http://www.subaru.co.uk/Subaru_co_uk/ViewMenu.qed?menuid=M2M3
It is available at many gas stations and is just over half the price of regular gas. Performance and efficiency is down slightly but the car can be switched back to regular fuel at the press of a button on the dash. The tank on the Tribeca replaces the space saver spare wheel.
Subaru UK were offering the conversion for about £2.5k but have almost doubled the price now. We were considering it but in the end decided against as they won't allow LPG equiped cars in the Channel Tunnel.

·
Registered
552 Posts
SimonD...wow, that's pretty crazy!:eek:

That LPG is the same is the same as ours?! Here in the US LPG is really only used for home heating and cooking (stove, oven, grill) by regular consumers. We definitely don't have LPG cars here. Can you fill the tank yourself at a gas station? Here in the US, you have to go to an authorized supplier and have them either refill or replace your tank.

Also, I don't know how I would feel having an LPG tank in my car...in an accident that can potentially lead to a bad fire ball of an explosion which is why I'm assuming they don't allow it in the Chunnel.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The use of LPG is pretty common in Western Europe. I've never owned an LPG car myself but if you check out the UK Legacy owners forum over here you'll find many LPG converted cars. Several manufacturers sell converted cars over here Ford/Volvo and Subaru among them.
The pumps lock onto the filler and cut out automatically when the tank is about 80% full. The more worrying thing in my view is that a lot of these conversions are sold for DIY fitting. (Not the Subaru kits though!).
The tanks seem to be tested thoroughly - but the Tribeca fitment hangs pretty low at the back. Imagine fitting a full size spare under the floor to give you some idea:

You can see the filler at the base of the rear wing. It does help with the appalling range you get from the tiny tank in the Tribeca and will help with resale as the car gets older. Unfortunately the Tribeca is ludicrously expensive to run over here and without a premium badge it is difficult to imagine many that would want to take one on in the future. Tribeca ownership in the UK is for life!!:)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Len said:
Thanks very much for your reply Snork - I'll check out that Hitch assembley
Back on topic;) If you have the LPG tank, the hitch probably won't fit after seeing the pic SimonD provided:(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts