Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks. I'm looking to change my stock 2009 Tribeca wheels with Stock 2017 WRX Wheels. The WRX wheels are 18x8.5 while the Tribeca's are 18x8. The offset on the WRX wheels are 55mm while the Tribeca's are 45mm. Anyone have any experience with this?

WRX.
18x8.5
OFFSET 55

Tribeca
18x8
Offset 45

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hmm, I thought the Tribeca had a 55 offset too. But I'm sure you did your research so if this is correct that'll put your tire 12.5mm closer to the struts if my math is correct. Sounds like a pretty big difference. I'd try to see how much space you have first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen it written in a few places as 55mm offset but most manufacturer websites say 45+. I found a few other posts of guys that did it with the same wheels. I did it and just drove 50miles. No rubbing and ran great.

·
Registered
2007 Tribeca Limited Special Edition
68 Posts
I am in the market for WRX 18" wheels like above. Any suggestions, I would like even wider wheels than the 8.5 width of the WRX rims if possible like 9.0 wide and an offset of 45 rather than 55 as stated to push out the wheels slightly. If any member have pictures of this type of setup please submit your cars stance. The idea is to widen the stance slightly to reduce weight transfer in the corners.

You can add wheel spacers to push out the WRX wheels to an offset of 45 by adding 10mm spacers. This does add unsprung weight, but does widen the stance.

·
Administrator
06 B9 Tribeca
814 Posts
I am in the market for WRX 18" wheels like above. Any suggestions, I would like even wider wheels than the 8.5 width of the WRX rims if possible like 9.0 wide and an offset of 45 rather than 55 as stated to push out the wheels slightly. If any member have pictures of this type of setup please submit your cars stance. The idea is to widen the stance slightly to reduce weight transfer in the corners.

You can add wheel spacers to push out the WRX wheels to an offset of 45 by adding 10mm spacers. This does add unsprung weight, but does widen the stance.
Don't be afraid to go to the Outback forums where applicable. I have to do that at times. You aren't cheating on us, lol.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My Subaru B9 is the same color as yours, I have the special grill, cold weather package, rubber floor mats etc. I saw a couple of 07 B9's advertized that had the LSD that started this discussion, I think it revolves around the cold weather package, but Im not sure. I bought my car from a Ford dealership. They got it on trade in on a new F150. Lady driver for 108000 miles according to the Ford Sales man. Had a large stack of Subaru Receipts from their dealership in Beaverton, Oregon. I bought mine because I thought it looked cool with the mesh screen front end. Now, I'm driving it to my favorite ski are 3 times a week. Later in March, will be heading to Whistler BC for Canadian skiing. What motor oil do you use?

·
Administrator
06 B9 Tribeca
814 Posts
My Subaru B9 is the same color as yours, I have the special grill, cold weather package, rubber floor mats etc. I saw a couple of 07 B9's advertized that had the LSD that started this discussion, I think it revolves around the cold weather package, but Im not sure. I bought my car from a Ford dealership. They got it on trade in on a new F150. Lady driver for 108000 miles according to the Ford Sales man. Had a large stack of Subaru Receipts from their dealership in Beaverton, Oregon. I bought mine because I thought it looked cool with the mesh screen front end. Now, I'm driving it to my favorite ski are 3 times a week. Later in March, will be heading to Whistler BC for Canadian skiing. What motor oil do you use?
That sounds really nice. Any pictures of it? As far as my choice of oil, I went with Mobil One Advanced Fuel Economy 0w-30 to try to help collectively with the fuel economy. Not saying that it works, but the cSt is ideal for that purpose especially with the small gas tank, not so great fuel economy, needing 93 Octane fuel, and the current fuel prices. I have read that the EZ30R is fairly agnostic to oil choice so I decided to start it on this thin syrup while the engine was young. If my Stage 2 SG Forester XT can run on it at risk, I have no reservations about running it in the Beca. You can also see the approximate JDM engine age in my signature at the bottom of my post along with oil choice.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What happened to your original engine? I asked the Ford dealership for all the receipts. I told them to black out the owners name etc, but they said it doesn't work that way. They just can't do it so I have no idea if mine had a new motor or even if all the fluids where changed regularly. The guy just threw the whole envelope of receipts in the trash. I asked the local Subaru dealership about the history, which they said they could access, but were reluctant to tell me any details. So, here I am starting from scratch. Oh well, life this that way as well, so being a risk taker, I have a used 114.000 mile car that hopefully will be good for at least 60K more miles. I will get some Mobil 1 FS brand 0w 40 and see how it goes. Thanks,

·
Administrator
06 B9 Tribeca
814 Posts
What happened to your original engine? I asked the Ford dealership for all the receipts. I told them to black out the owners name etc, but they said it doesn't work that way. They just can't do it so I have no idea if mine had a new motor or even if all the fluids where changed regularly. The guy just threw the whole envelope of receipts in the trash. I asked the local Subaru dealership about the history, which they said they could access, but were reluctant to tell me any details. So, here I am starting from scratch. Oh well, life this that way as well, so being a risk taker, I have a used 114.000 mile car that hopefully will be good for at least 60K more miles. I will get some Mobil 1 FS brand 0w 40 and see how it goes. Thanks,
If one door doesn't open and you have the time, keep on tapping. Contact Ford at the national level or maybe another dealership. The worst they can say is no. I urge you to focus more attention on the cooling system than the oil system per se.

Here is the thread on my original engine:

·
Registered
68 Posts
06B9beca, you responded at about 161k, just after you purchased your Tribeca, it started to burn oil at startup, maybe from the valve guides or piston rings. So, that lead you to the JDM engine, which you have run for 68k miles without issue. What specificity about the cooling system? All the hoses seem good, the coolant looks good, there does not appear to be any coolant leaks anywhere.

So, as the car ages from mileage, just be aware that the cooling system could be an the weak system in this car, which could cause motor damage from overheating.
Got it. Thanks.

·
Administrator
06 B9 Tribeca
814 Posts
06B9beca, you responded at about 161k, just after you purchased your Tribeca, it started to burn oil at startup, maybe from the valve guides or piston rings. So, that lead you to the JDM engine, which you have run for 68k miles without issue. What specificity about the cooling system? All the hoses seem good, the coolant looks good, there does not appear to be any coolant leaks anywhere.

So, as the car ages from mileage, just be aware that the cooling system could be an the weak system in this car, which could cause motor damage from overheating.
Got it. Thanks.
Yes, the cooling system is the weak link on the EZ30R only at about 170k (ish) miles. The vehicle was blowing blue smoke but white smoke also. The head gaskets go and it begins to burn coolant. This is why I said to pay more attention to the cooling system than the oil per se. I could have lived with the valve guides or pistons ring issues so long as I was willing to add oil. Same for the coolant, but eventually the breaches became so large that it became impractical to keep adding coolant. I have never seen a case as extreme as mine where it had oil and coolant issues concurrently. No brainer going with the JDM issue with both issues. Most posts you will find are about the head gaskets. Be vigilant and be warned!

·
Registered
68 Posts
06b9beca, just had my oil changed at my local tire shop. They installed a CAR FAX system that can look at the VIN number history. So, the lady had Subaru service her car regularly, I mean, like she had car washes, wiper blades, oil service, head lights, window roll up switches, you name it on that list, including the regular maintenance scheduled service. So, I have scheduled the coolant fluid refresh and brake flush on my next oil service so it goes on the Carfax record. I tried to get my transmission oil changed as the record showed last changed at 45k and 90k, but my tire shop said, transmissions are not their bag, but gave me another transmission specialty service's card. My question is should I buy the Subaru ATF recommended for that transmission and have that company install it rather than their own brand what ever that is? Just trying to peel the onion here to get the best bang/result for my buck.

·
Administrator
06 B9 Tribeca
814 Posts
06b9beca, just had my oil changed at my local tire shop. They installed a CAR FAX system that can look at the VIN number history. So, the lady had Subaru service her car regularly, I mean, like she had car washes, wiper blades, oil service, head lights, window roll up switches, you name it on that list, including the regular maintenance scheduled service. So, I have scheduled the coolant fluid refresh and brake flush on my next oil service. I tried to get my transmission oil changed as the record showed last changed at 45k and 90k, but my tire shop said, transmissions are not their bag, but gave me another transmission specialty service's card. My question is should I buy the Subaru ATF recommended for that transmission and have that company install it rather than their own brand what ever that is? Just trying to peel the onion here to get the best bang/result for my buck.
Those are always good signs. Whoever had this vehicle last let the blades run into the windshield. A telling sign about how they might have treated the vehicle. Is there any reason that you don't want to take care of the coolant fluid change on your own and the brake fluid flush. Are you mechanically inclined? Do you have the space and tools to do so? Just making conversation. As far as the transmission fluid goes, I have heard that flushes can often be a bad thing. Perhaps a drain and fill would be better. I would stick to Subaru HP transmission fluid or Idemitsu HP fluid (Apparently they make the fluid for Subaru). Then there is Valvoline ATF that might be approved to Subaru standards. I would not deviate from the proper fluids if I were you....and I really have messed around other fluids over the years because I am at times hard headed about things but I have been bitten for doing so. All in all, if you have the ability, I would be doing these line items myself...not only for the bang for the buck but because you can see what is going in your vehicle and/or see that the work is being done correctly.

Please add your vehicle's Model Year info into your signature or profile. It will be helpful during dialogue. Thanks!

·
V6er Version 2
Facelift (EZ36D, 5EAT TG5D), MY2008, 7seat Limited (no DVD, no NAVI)
415 Posts
@apex1 1) make your own topic, do not steel others ;)

2) change all the fluids (coolant and brake fluid you mentioned - I would suggest to go 5.1 brake fluid). Transmission - change BOTH filters(in left front fender and in sump of transmission itself). fluid - if nothing changed from stock - idemitsu/subaru atf HP. also change front and rear differential fluids. filter in sump might be harder to find - get it yourself. if you need partnumbers or something - reach out :) I would not go for "own brands" except FSM recommendations
Specified fluid:
SUBARU ATF (Part No. K0140Y0700)
Recommended fluid:
IDEMITSU ATF HP
CASTROL TRANSMAX J
PENNZOIL QUAKERSTATE • PENNZOIL ATF-J

3) coolant - it would be good idea to use some mild cleaner and change it (fluid) few times - may be use distilled water. kinda - pour it in, get rid of air, warm it up, get it out, repeat until clean.

4) get yourself FSM and get familiar with things recommended and then learn about people experiences. here, russian drive2.ru/drive2.com is great resource, especially if you are diy-er.

@06b9beca
here I tried to explain that thing about changing fluid in older transmissions - 2012 Tribeca with delayed engagement
also there is mentioning about product which thickens fluid if everything is already in THAT stage.
p.s. you prefacelift guys are in luck - your transmission can do "learning" without dealership assistance (again - in FSM is description).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Those are always good signs. Whoever had this vehicle last let the blades run into the windshield. A telling sign about how they might have treated the vehicle. Is there any reason that you don't want to take care of the coolant fluid change on your own and the brake fluid flush. Are you mechanically inclined? Do you have the space and tools to do so? Just making conversation. As far as the transmission fluid goes, I have heard that flushes can often be a bad thing. Perhaps a drain and fill would be better. I would stick to Subaru HP transmission fluid or Idemitsu HP fluid (Apparently they make the fluid for Subaru). Then there is Valvoline ATF that might be approved to Subaru standards. I would not deviate from the proper fluids if I were you....and I really have messed around other fluids over the years because I am at times hard headed about things but I have been bitten for doing so. All in all, if you have the ability, I would be doing these line items myself...not only for the bang for the buck but because you can see what is going in your vehicle and/or see that the work is being done correctly.

Please add your vehicle's Model Year info into your signature or profile. It will be helpful during dialogue. Thanks!
I have a 2007 Tribeca Special Edition Limited in White Pearl with Beige interior.

·
Administrator
06 B9 Tribeca
814 Posts
I have a 2007 Tribeca Special Edition Limited in White Pearl with Beige interior.
Ok, please add it to your profile so it is clearly visible in all threads. Thank you.

·
V6er Version 2
Facelift (EZ36D, 5EAT TG5D), MY2008, 7seat Limited (no DVD, no NAVI)
415 Posts
2007 - manufacturing date or model year?
mine, for example, is manufactured in may 2007, but is model year 2008.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine is a 3.0 not a 3.6 so it was a 2007 model year, which is a slight upgrade from 2006. Like it has a audio attachment plug under the arm rest, which is great for audio books on my i phone.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.