Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've read many posts that the 2015+ WRX/STI (20mm) sway bar is an upgrade for MOST Subaru models. The Impreza, Outback, Forster, Crosstrek and Legacy guys have successfully installed this sway bar.

Does anyone here know what make our Tribeca different and why we cannot upgrade to this sway bar also?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2015-2017-Subaru-Rear-Sway-Bar-And-Bushing-Upgrade-WRX-STi-OEM-20451VA000/322547880872?fits=Year%3A2015&epid=1739959046&hash=item4b195a13a8:g:AywAAOSwo4pYki3M

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
there is one big difference, tribeca has spare tire under, while all others have them inside the trunk, it may be possible with some brackets though

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rear suspension on the Tribeca is different than the other models, but I am curious to see if it does work.

This is the Tribeca sway bar: https://www.ebay.com/i/112314861753?chn=ps

I have had my Tribeca on a lift and the suspension doesn't look that different from other Subaru models. Dodik is correct, I crawled under my car last night with the bar and everything seems to lineup plus the endlinks are in the right place. The issue I see now is that the shields around the spare tire get in the way. I may notch the shields or remove them altogether, but the sway bar will clear the spare tire easily.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have had my Tribeca on a lift and the suspension doesn't look that different from other Subaru models. Dodik is correct, I crawled under my car last night with the bar and everything seems to lineup plus the endlinks are in the right place. The issue I see now is that the shields around the spare tire get in the way. I may notch the shields or remove them altogether, but the sway bar will clear the spare tire easily.
They all look the same, all the way back to the 90s, but that doesn't mean the parts and fitment is the same for every generation and model. The tribeca has less suspension travel, unique rear shocks, different hubs...etc etc.

If the sway bar installs correctly that would be awesome since the aftermarket is nonexistent for this vehicle.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They all look the same, all the way back to the 90s, but that doesn't mean the parts and fitment is the same for every generation and model. The tribeca has less suspension travel, unique rear shocks, different hubs...etc etc.

If the sway bar installs correctly that would be awesome since the aftermarket is nonexistent for this vehicle.
I agree that all suspensions LOOK the same. Hence the reason I created this thread. Many have posted that the Tribeca is different but no specifics.

SO far from my measurements the rear sway bar is the right length and much stiffer than our stock bar. There are many aftermarket products that can be utilized on our cars but the average Tribeca owner is not likely to purchase them. So it's not advertised or marketed.

There are plenty of threads that were created on this site questioning the upgrading of the rear sway bar. But no one has actually done the research. Hopefully, this thread will be able to answer some questions and concerns.

·
Registered
837 Posts
If I remember correctly one member purchased a sway bar, but didn't even try it out before selling it, that has been a long time though. There is also the issue that may have carried over from the Legacy platform with weak sway bar supports breaking under thicker than stock bars.

Here is a pertinent thread:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/broken-sway-bar-mount-194905.html

Please don't take my posts as negative, I am trying to be informative so you can be prepared to counter these issues. I am genuinely interested in these mods, maybe one day I will reclaim our Tribeca and make it into a project.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I remember correctly one member purchased a sway bar, but didn't even try it out before selling it, that has been a long time though. There is also the issue that may have carried over from the Legacy platform with weak sway bar supports breaking under thicker than stock bars.

Here is a pertinent thread:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/broken-sway-bar-mount-194905.html

Please don't take my posts as negative, I am trying to be informative so you can be prepared to counter these issues. I am genuinely interested in these mods, maybe one day I will reclaim our Tribeca and make it into a project.

No worries, I always appreciate good input. I have reached out to Perscitus on LEGACYGT.com for some advice. Since he lives local to myself, we have gotten together on a number of occasions to compare notes.

Having both our cars up on a lift it was easy to see what mods would also work on the Tribeca. Perscitus' Legacy has the sway bar support barces, but his sway bar is larger(22mm). I was informed that LEGACY guys do not have this issue with the 20mm stock sized sway bar.

The Perrin Steering Dampner was another mod that transferred from the LEGACY to the Tribeca. I would guess that 90% of mods designed for the 3.6R LEGACY would work for the Tribeca as well.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I would just be concerned with the extra heft of the Tribeca putting more stress on those brackets, Perscitus has a 5th gen though, the Tribeca was based on the 4th gen platform. I am not sure how much different they are besides size and stiffness.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would just be concerned with the extra heft of the Tribeca putting more stress on those brackets, Perscitus has a 5th gen though, the Tribeca was based on the 4th gen platform. I am not sure how much different they are besides size and stiffness.

No worries, this is one of the issues that will be assessed when we start installing the Sway bar.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok gentlemen....

This project was a little more involved than anticipated. But not out of my comfort zone.

After contemplating, I decided to cut the shroud around the Spare tire would be the easiest solution for the sway bar clearance. The STI sway bar is impressively more beefier than the stock bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The first issue I ran into was the STI bar has "Stoppers" welded to the ends of the bar to keep it from sliding around. But the TRIBECA mounts are located where the stoppers interfere with the bushings.

I did find that I was able to move the stoppers with a screwdriver and hammer.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The other issue that I ran into was the Sway bar end links are SURPRISING larger for the TRIBECA than the STI. So the pre-drilled holes on the end of the STI sway bar is too small. I needed to use a 9/16th drill bit to accommodate the larger end links.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally the sway bar is installed!

Driving impressions:

In regular driving there is no difference, the ride is the same also. But during hard cornering, my car stays very flat! The only issue I have is now there isn't enough bolsters to keep me in my seat.

I will keep this thread updated periodically.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Finally the sway bar is installed!

Driving impressions:

In regular driving there is no difference, the ride is the same also. But during hard cornering, my car stays very flat! The only issue I have is now there isn't enough bolsters to keep me in my seat.

I will keep this thread updated periodically.

Thanks for sharing! :tup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts