Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted in a couple other platforms without many replies till I stumbled across this site. Apologies if anyone’s seen this twice, but wanna try asking here:
Saw a 2011 Tribeca with 90K miles for $10,500. Took it to a mechanic and they said everything looked pretty good.
  • Some rust on the transmission pan that’ll have to be replaced at some point.
  • A strut that isn’t terrible now, but will need to be replaced eventually.
  • weatherstripping under the hood, below the wipers needs to be replaced. It’s currently fastened via zip tie.
  • Hard weather stripping (?) that’s at the bottom of the windshield area, kinda goes underneath plastic molding is slipping out.
  • Previous owner replaced control arms.
Other than that, everything looks great and runs great. One owner. Clean carfax. No accidents. No sign of body work.

I’ve seen mostly great comments about this car with the auto transmission. Heard from a knowledgeable “car person” that said in general, they’re bad car’s with expensive issues.

what say you folks? Just looking for a safe, reliable car for me, my wife, and our one year old. I understand it’s a 9 year old car and will require some maintenance. Just don’t wanna buy a money pit. My wife will also be driving it once offices reopen from COVID in NJ.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i purchased a 9 year old 2008 Tribeca more than 3 years ago. It had approx 57k miles on it and everything checked out ok but for the 2-3 shift, which I knew about and wasn’t concerned about. Since then I have almost 75k on the car. No oil leaks, bad struts, etc. All recalls but for one airbag replacement were already done. Had that done by local dealer. Performed the usual 60k mile service. The only issue I have had since purchase was the need to replace the AC relay - a known failure item. That part failed during the first Summer I had the car. Simple and cheap correction. I’m pleased with the car. Some have had issues. Does the car have a high incidence of issues. Not sure about that. Torque converter problems in the first few years and transmission valve body component failure are two. Maybe some with failed head gaskets but I don’t think that is very common on the 3.6L H6 motor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i purchased a 9 year old 2008 Tribeca more than 3 years ago. It had approx 57k miles on it and everything checked out ok but for the 2-3 shift, which I knew about and wasn’t concerned about. Since then I have almost 75k on the car. No oil leaks, bad struts, etc. All recalls but for one airbag replacement were already done. Had that done by local dealer. Performed the usual 60k mile service. The only issue I have had since purchase was the need to replace the AC relay - a known failure item. That part failed during the first Summer I had the car. Simple and cheap correction. I’m pleased with the car. Some have had issues. Does the car have a high incidence of issues. Not sure about that. Torque converter problems in the first few years and transmission valve body component failure are two. Maybe some with failed head gaskets but I don’t think that is very common on the 3.6L H6 motor.
That’s great to hear. Thanks!

We were mid purchase when I saw your reply, so I feel a lot better. The positive comments about these cars outweigh the bad.

It’s a really clean car. Good condition for 9 years, and one owner with full maintenance history. Feeling good and looking forward to my first Subie.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
They are excellent value!

Just make sure there are no check engine lights or other clear red flags and you are good to go.

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts