Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Tribeca
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. I recently pulled tire off my 2011 tribeca premium to access the ATF filter via the tire well wall. However to my surprise there is no filter where other posts say it should be. I've attached picture of empty bracket I believe should have a filter mount. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Tribeca
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Other posts I found alluded to that but couldn't find anything definitive. From what I can tell 2009 model had one and some of the posts here suggest the 2010 has one too but couldn't find any real confirmation on that. Possible the 2011 was the first to drop the filter. Guess I'll have to return the filter I bought.

·
V6er Version 2
Facelift (EZ36D, 5EAT TG5D), MY2008, 7seat Limited (no DVD, no NAVI)
474 Posts
I think 2010-2011 is about when that filter was dropped.
because - chronologically:
prefacelift (06-07) had "strainer"(rough filter) inside transmission and that fine filter in left tire well.
facelift (08+) had fine filter already inside and for first few years outside fine filter as well...
around 2010-2011 - they dropped outer one because it technically doubles functionality of the other filter (inside transmission).
(that's how I see it)

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Tribeca
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That makes sense if the filter is redundant. After doing some severe duty towing (10,000 miles overall through several mountain passes) I really was hoping to swap out the fine filter. Will settle for fluid flush. Thanks for replying.

·
V6er Version 2
474 Posts
I would suggest to change filter too (unfortunately, Subaru do not provide it separately, but I can find part number for it to get aftermarket in my notes).
Also may be consider changing fluid with "machine" which allows to remove almost 100% old fluid.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Tribeca
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Curious about the filter in the transmission. I'm guessing it must be in the transmission oil pan? If you have a part number for it that would be great.

·
V6er Version 2
474 Posts

just don't mistake it with prefacelift filter:

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Tribeca
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you jimihimisimi and Flat6er.... This changes my approach. Considering I have a leaf littered, uneven, dirt and gravel driveway and I'm not exactly a small person, might source the filter and gasket and have my shop do it.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Tribeca
29 Posts
Thank you jimihimisimi and Flat6er.... This changes my approach. Considering I have a leaf littered, uneven, dirt and gravel driveway and I'm not exactly a small person, might source the filter and gasket and have my shop do it.
Just did the trans filter replacement yesterday and it involves a good amount of crawling around underneath the car. Also scraping off all the old RTV gasketing was more time consuming than the rest of the draining/unbolting/bolting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts