Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
No issues with the car the night before, but this morning the car would not start. It cracks over but wont start up. Battery seems fine (cracking at normal speed) Seems like it is not getting fuel but I am pretty sure I can hear the fuel pump go on after I turn the key to the start position. [yes there is gas in the car :) ] No error codes. Any help on where to look next would be appreciated.

I had a very similar problem about a year ago (would crank but not start) - at the time I had thought it was something electrical related to the fuel pump but could not see any obvious issues (no error codes etc fuses are good). I gave up after a day or so trying to figure it out and towed it to the dealership. The called me back an hour later and said it was just a loose connector / fuse (I had checked all the fuses and they were ok). Regretting now that I did not dig deeper with them on the exact issue back then.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A quick update I was able to get it started by turning the ignition to start, listening for the fuel pump to go and then turning it back to stop and repeating this 3 times then tried to start it. It sputtered for a bit then started. The engine seemed to run ok but I was getting some white exhaust smoke. Stopped the car and then was able to re-start as normal.
I will check tomorrow on the white smoke and see how it starts and runs in the morning.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Hmmm... Seems like a fuel pressure issue if repriming is getting you there.

I would get a fuel pressure, and look for leaks as well.

Allthough a 'loose connector/fuse' could eventually arc and form enough of a contact to start.

Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know it's Tribeca related, but my Freightliner would do the same thing, i thought it was loosing prime. It would crank and go but nothing. Check your camshaft sensor

·
Registered
837 Posts
The ecu should throw a code for a cam sensor, my 03 forester did when it went bad, so I would assume the newer ecu can set that code. This engine also has two cam sensors, if not 4. A single bad sensor besides the crank one shouldn't cause a no start condition.

The FSM starts with the starter circuit, then moves to the Fuel system, then to the ECM wiring and grounds, and then to the injector wiring.

I would try pulling the main engine connectors apart cleaning them with contact cleaner spray and then putting them back together.

·
Registered
385 Posts
No issues with the car the night before, but this morning the car would not start. It cracks over but wont start up. Battery seems fine (cracking at normal speed) Seems like it is not getting fuel but I am pretty sure I can hear the fuel pump go on after I turn the key to the start position. [yes there is gas in the car :) ] No error codes. Any help on where to look next would be appreciated.

I had a very similar problem about a year ago (would crank but not start) - at the time I had thought it was something electrical related to the fuel pump but could not see any obvious issues (no error codes etc fuses are good). I gave up after a day or so trying to figure it out and towed it to the dealership. The called me back an hour later and said it was just a loose connector / fuse (I had checked all the fuses and they were ok). Regretting now that I did not dig deeper with them on the exact issue back then.
?
Which connector? My tribeca is doing the same thing .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts