Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Tribeca. While changing the RR hub (fun to get out), I had to "sacrifice" the ABS sensor as it was siezed in the knuckle. (I know you normally don't have to remove the knuckle, but as I said I had to get it off then use a sledge hammer to knock the hub out.

Anyways, I bought a new ABS sensor, but I was wondering where the connector to the vehicle was. There's a black plastic shield just in front of the rear wheels that goes across the whole bottom. I was wondering if the plug is up under the plastic? Anyone have a picture of where it's located?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had the SS code come up on my dash and think it has to do with a front speed sensor but not 100% sure. I know they get gunked up with crud since they're magnetic. when I tried removing it the plastic housing started to crack so I bailed on the idea, but know it will need to be done. Anyone know an easy way to get these out when they're stuck, I'm assuming you'll run into the same problem with the back ones as well....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
p.s. get FMS - it's a must have for anybody who gets his own hands dirty ;)
Thanks for the reply, however, I do have a service manual and it is a "must have". What I couldn't find though and I finally got my answer (by doing it) is that the picture shown in the manual shows the location that is under the plastic guard (still wondering why Subaru plastic, other than the loved to cover lots of stuff with plastic) for the gas tank.

So to answer my previous question, the plastic cover on the bottom, just in front of the rear passenger wheel needs to be removed. There are 2 nuts, about 3-4 small bolts and a plastic clip (you pry the center up) holding it up. Simply remove all of those fasteners, drop the plastic guard, and you have access to the connector.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the SS code come up on my dash and think it has to do with a front speed sensor but not 100% sure. I know they get gunked up with crud since they're magnetic. when I tried removing it the plastic housing started to crack so I bailed on the idea, but know it will need to be done. Anyone know an easy way to get these out when they're stuck, I'm assuming you'll run into the same problem with the back ones as well....
Well, if they're bad, or already broken, I drilled it out starting with a small bit in the middle, then using progressively wider ones. Once I got close to the size of the sensor, the remnant pulled out. $50 from Advance Auto.

If you can, try to shoot some penetrating oil around them and let them soak. I've had little luck with any penetrating oil lately, but it's worth a shot.

·
Administrator
654 Posts
Well, if they're bad, or already broken, I drilled it out starting with a small bit in the middle, then using progressively wider ones. Once I got close to the size of the sensor, the remnant pulled out. $50 from Advance Auto.

If you can, try to shoot some penetrating oil around them and let them soak. I've had little luck with any penetrating oil lately, but it's worth a shot.
I know what you mean about penetrating oil. As I purchase older and older vehicles I have less and less luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts