Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made you look made you look!! :)

So what would everyone like to change... keep the same... improve on the 2009 model?

I have an 06 so i cant really comment on the 07 and 08's

1) Better Fuel economy... larger gas tank
2) Go back to the unique styling 06-07
3) Less gear hunting going up hills
4) Keep the cool interior
5) Add a turbo-option
6) A little more practical storage up front

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I have an 06 so i cant really comment on the 07 and 08's
If I'm correct, 06-07 are basically identical besides a few minor interior improvements.

1) Better Fuel economy... larger gas tank
*Yup, I'd love to run on 87. I don't need a larger tank, but it couldn't hurt.
2) Go back to the unique styling 06-07
*I don't think that would be ideal, but the front end def needs some work.
3) Less gear hunting going up hills
*YES please, way too much gear hunting in our 07, but I live with it.
4) Keep the cool interior
*Agreed.
5) Add a turbo-option
*I'd love to see that, but then there goes fuel economy and running on 87.
6) A little more practical storage up front
*I've never had any issues with storage.

IMO, I would like to see better access and a practical third row. We've got the 3rd row, but I don't think we'll ever use it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
We haven't got the '08 yet over here (they are still sitting on most of the '07s!). The only thing that will tempt Subaru UK to bring back the Tribeca is a diesel engine.
We have the new 2.0 turbo diesel Legacy now and I'm sure that the 3.0 version will be introduced in the Tribeca and the Cayenne for either '09 or early 2010.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It already recommends 91 octane and doesn't get great gas mileage, so might as well add a turbo and make it more fun! So more things..

I love the size, not too big but not too small, I also love the ride height, its high enough but doesn't feel like you're driving a truck.

Should be interesting to see if they upsize it a little considering the Forrester is now going to be similar to the Tribeca in size.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got the 08 and don't have any real issues (mind you I'm not very picky)...but that diesel sounds very interesting and of course a turbo is always wlecome...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Things that would improve it:
-turbo diesel option and/or better fuel economy
-better use of storage space in the back (where the spare tire is and the under floor bins where the 3rd row would be if you have a 5 seater)
-longer more legroom/space
-better rear ventilation
-some kind of design change to keep road muck out of the rear door sills
-larger mudflap/splashguards
-different type of material on interior (center console armrest gets dirty instantly)
-telescopic steering wheel

·
Registered
80 Posts
- heat and a/c controls for the rear
- less belt noise under the hood
- definitely different color material for interior (esp for armrest console, BLACK MAYBE???)
- adjustable pedals
- random function stay on after restarting car
- power liftgate
- side moldings
- optional runners/step bar possibly
- larger sun/moonroof (or maybe even dual)
- turbo would definitely be great
- an added power outlet by the dash area so i dont have to plug my external gps cable all the way into armrest console.

thats all i can think of for now...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Yeah, I agree on a power liftgate. I never really understood why it wasn't already there on Subie's flagship vehicle.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think you guys mostly covered everything, but I'll and my 2 cents on some of the existing topics.

-add separate heating/ac zone to the back, not just AC fan control
-i haven't had any real troubles with dirtying my center console armrest, but this really should be covered w/ leather like most other leather interiored cars, that would resolve the dirt issue too
-better fuel economy would be nice, but IMHO it gets decent mileage for the size car, what it really needs is a larger fuel tank...my Accord has a bigger tank!
-dual/larger sunroof would be good, the Outbacks already have them
-redesign exterior to be more "subaru", I know subaru tried the corporate face route with the airplane theme and we know how that turned out, but currently all the models look different (legacy, tribeca and impreza). The 08 Tribecas and Imprezas are kinda similar, but the Legacy has always had a separate (good) look...all 3 should be cohesive.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wish it had a handbrake as oppose to the foot mounted parking brake... but then again, I guess thats just a space thing. Oh, did I mention less mushy brake feel.

·
Registered
64 Posts
-HID's either standard or as an option
-More HP...at least 280
-More Torque...at least 290
-Dual sunroof or glass roof option
-Optional wheels
-Continue to grow off of the current styling
-No more beige interior option...either black or grey
-More leg room for back seats (in the 5 passenger model)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Maybe they'll address the hp and torque when they put the 3.6 in the Legacy.

Actually, I remember reading (probably on Nasioc) that Subaru detuned the 3.6 because the existing auto wouldn't handle much more power reliably. If they're truly going with CVT in the next couple of years, we might see a power bump when the Tribeca gets the CVT.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think CVT is one of those things that look really good on paper, but disappoints in reality. I suppose that's why some manufacturers are programming them with pseudo gears - so it feels somewhat normal.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I've never personally drove a CVT, but my dad has driven our friend's Murano. He said the CVT is very strange to drive at first, something you definitely have to get used to. He said it's weird how the engine just revs up w/o shifting gears and just hangs at WOT with hard accel (ie merging onto highway).

I think CVTs are a viable option, but once 6-7 speed trannies become the norm I don't think they'll really be any more/less efficient.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
IMO, the CVT lacks any driving enthusiasm (well as much as you can get from an automatic).

·
Registered
192 Posts
1. True Ipod Integration with Steering wheel control.

2. Traffic info on Nav. Also, can Nav be a software update instead of DVD so info stays current?

3. Blu-Ray rear entertainment system. Ideally it would also come with a DTV antenna for over-the-air TV broadcasts (DTV antennas are not affected by the Analog cutoff in 2009). Would be nice if said TV functionality had some sort of buffer like on DVRs.

4. More rear cargo room when third row is being used. Might require all-new vehicle though...

5. The vehicle really needs more chrome for the upscale look. Look at the more expensive Mercedes vehicles for example where they have lots of chrome accents but not in a cheesy way. They commonly have Chrome window mouldings, rear gate trim, chrome or alloy wheels, door mouldings, and all chrome grilles. Many makes such as Nissan offer rear bumper protectors that are chromed as well which looks sharp. The Tribeca is Subaru's most upscale vehicle, but I am afraid they are still a bit under-dressed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ding protection for doors, please (read: a bit thiker metal!)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Built in Bluetooth is a must! In California you have to use a hands-free device effective 7/2008.

All similarly equipped cross-overs we looked at had hands-free Bluetooth. The Subaru was one of the few that didn't. It is really behind in this regard.

And like some of the previous post, integrated iPod/iPhone connectivity would be nice.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts