Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i take the car on the expressway and drive it the temperature remains in the normal range, but when i get off and come to a stop sign, the engine temperature starts to climb. When i get going again, the temperature drops back to the normal range. The radiator fans come on but the temperature will continue to climb till i get going. If i start the car in the morning, the temperature will climb to normal and stay there and will not start to climb. The radiator has been flushed, the thermostat replaced, the radiator cap replaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2008. I did a 10lbs 30 minute pressure test on the cooling system and it maintain pressure with no drop which makes me think i am not lossing coolant to the combustion chamber. Also, if had coolant getting into the combustion chamber, it should be hard to start, correct? it starts easy, and when I replaced the spark plugs last week, they looked good with no noticeable deposits. As far as exhaust gases getting into the coolant, the coolant looks brand new, if it was a head gasket, would i not have some discoloration in the coolant from the presence of exhaust gases? I had a Volvo S70 that blew a head gasket, the coolant turned slightly tan and the pressure blew the ends off the radiator.
Call me stumped.....do not know what to do, but if i do have a bad head gasket on the 6 cylinder boxer engine, sounds like it is time for a rebuilt engine .

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same issue on our 2007. I've replaced the radiator, temp sensor, thermostat and radiator cap. According to the block leak test and lack of bubbles in the reservoir, along with not losing coolant, I'm thinking water pump.

Note: both fans kick on and go to the second stage when it reaches temp so I don't think it's bad fans or relays.

Anybody have any experience in changing the pump without pulling the engine? I think I'd have to pull the fans and radiator just to create enough space to work, no?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Don't forget the throttle body o-ring. No one can explain why, but it can create your symptoms. Cheap and easy fix if that is what is causing the problem

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Problem is pressure getting to to coolant system from the combustion chamber, not coolant in to the chamber.

Pressure test, exhaust gas tests also usually show good, but generally speaking, intermittent overheating on a subaru is usually headgasket. Go over to subaruoutback.org and do some research.

Look for small steady stream of bubbles in coolant reservoir when reving engine.

Good luck!

Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PS Most folks that are handy will replace the engine with a known good engine rather than rebuild.
Thanks to y'all for the info. I am now leaning towards a blown head gasket and a installing a low mileage used engine

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks to y'all for the info. I am now leaning towards a blown head gasket and a installing a low mileage used engine
I bought a jdm engine for a swap, it’s been great.i have 21 k miles on the swap. It’s been a great engine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts