Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday while making a fairly slowish left hand turn on to a side street I heard a sudden and distinct metal clunk (like someone hit the underside of my car with a big hammer).
Within another 2 miles, making a right-hand turn, I heard it again.

When I returned home I did some "testing" and found the following:
When I am backing out of my garage (very slowly) and turning I can hear and feel some (shutter-ish) binding of the rear wheels and then the sudden metal clunk will happen.

I then did a similar turn (in reverse) on a gravel part of my driveway and can see on the gravel where it is clear the rear wheel(s) are binding and followed by a metal clunk.
I can also recreate the clunk by rolling forward and turning tightly.
  • 2008 Tribeca Limited, 3.6, 5EAT, 203K miles
  • My tires are all the same and displaying the same wear/tread depth.
  • The axels (CV) are not clicking and they are fine.
  • Did a trans fluid replace a while ago...not recently
I have searched throughout...interwebz and this forum...I'm having trouble formulating an action plan
  • Any thoughts/advice on what this could be (from what I've found in older models there is a solenoid that goes bad in the center diff)?
  • Any chance this 5EAT is equally serviceable as the 4EAT solenoid repair I've seen?
  • Is there a similar process on this model as the suggested "FWD fuse" test process?
  • Thoughts on if maybe a trans fluid replace (via the 4 qt at a time method) could clear this up?
  • Has this happened to anyone else? What did it cost you to fix it?
  • Maybe it's time to start looking for a new vehicle?
Thanks...

Anybody wanna buy a 2008 Tribeca with a couple of problems ;-) ?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I would reach out over on subaruoutback.org. Their H6 shares the same drive train as ours. This appears to be a rare problem. i'm hoping it is something in the suspension/end links but it sounds like you have ruled that out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I'll cross-post it there.

Unfortunately, the suspension has been ruled out... the only real hope I had earlier was a possible bad trans mount...but I crawled under it and took a pry bar to it...it feels solid. plus, this isn't even during shifting or hard travel...I can make it happen in the driveway...

I would reach out over on subaruoutback.org. Their H6 shares the same drive train as ours. This appears to be a rare problem. i'm hoping it is something in the suspension/end links but it sounds like you have ruled that out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts