Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,
I plan to import 2008 Tribeca from USA in to Montenegro, EU (price is more than double in MNE). But not sure about height (67.7 in or 1.72m) of Tribeca, seem to be short if you compare to other vehicle in the segment (Volvo CX-90, BMW X5, Toyota highlander, etc…Even Hyundai Santa Fe is higher). My argument for this theory is vehicle compare tool from Subaru site, never see Tribeca in real life, the first one will be arrived in Jun this year at the Subaru dialer in Montenegro. I afraid that this “Subi” is little bit small :confused:. So, can you tell me more about this, Am I wrong or not?
If I found that Tribeca is not much smaller than Touareg, this will be my first "Subi".
Does anybody have some photos with Tribeca and some similar SUV, just for comparation.
Thank you!

P.S. ”Sorry for bad English.”

·
Registered
552 Posts
The height is correct. I am 6'-0" (72") tall and I can look over the top of roof. It is not as tall as some of the competition, but it does not lack for space inside. I have a good 4-5" of headroom sitting in the front and back, so unless you are 6'-6" or taller it should not be a problem.

Trunk space is quite good with the 3rd row seats down. With them up you could probably fit 2 bags of golf clubs stacked on top of each other to give you an idea of how much trunk space is available with all 7 seats up.

My neighbors used to have a Toureg, Tribeca has more front and second row space for sure. The Toureg trunk was probably technically "bigger" but it was a narrow/tall space, which usually isn't as good for cargo carrying. Compared to my parent's Ford Explorer, it's definitely a few inches smaller all around (trunk and second row especially), but the ride is much better and gets better fuel economy.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Tribeca's usable space is bigger than it seems on first look. It was the widest on the crossovers that I tested save the Acura MDX/Honda Pilot. Definitely roomier than the Highlander and Santa Fe, and a bit more than the X5. I was in the xc90 yesterday and its comparable.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tribeca/tribeca2008.html

Has all the inside dimensions on the 08 Tribeca, and on every Subaru for that matter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for reply guys.
So, I will not be shy to park Tribeca by Touareg or similar vehicle and do you confirm my opinion that Tribeca is better choice than Touareg or Volvo xc90?
One extra question, is the ride smooth and without noise from the back (trunk)?
Thanks

·
Registered
552 Posts
I've only sat in the front and second row...ride is quite smooth, I'd compare it more to driving a minivan than a truck based SUV (ie: Ford Explorer). The Tribeca is based on a wider/longer Subaru Outback chassis to give you an idea of its roots. It's not the quietest car I've been in, but is definitely as quiet as my friend's Highlander and substantially quieter than my parent's Explorer.

I've never sat in the third row, but from my experience in other cars, the third row is often a bit bumpier b/c you sit on or behind the rear wheels instead of inbetween the front/rear wheels. Sitting behind the rear wheels acts as a "lever" so you feel more bumps instead of them getting smoothed out between the front/rear axles.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The only vehicles that were in the running for me were the MDX I mentioned above and the Infiniti FX45. MDX was too big for my wife, the FX not big enough.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Forgot your comparison to the Toureg/XC90.

The Toureg is a "beautiful" SUV very high class style wise. But mechanically they are rated as junk and too many electrical issues to even count. From reading Toureg reviews they are either the "best" car or "worst"...too much a crap shoot in my opinion. Also fuel economy is bottom of the barrel.

My mother in-law's boss has an XC90. Again probably "nicer" looking on the outside (most Subaru exteriors are a matter of personal taste) but the interior wasn't anything special. The only things the Volvo one ups a Tribeca on is "perceived" safety and prestige. In my opinion the Tribeca has a much better interior and costs less than both the XC90 and Toureg.

·
Registered
151 Posts
We looked at used MDX's, Pilots and Explorers, and while the Subaru had the smallest interior space out of the three it definately used the space effectively. The trunk is very useable compared to similar sized CUV's in the market. And if you get the 5 seater, you get some storage compartments under the trunk cover. Dont forget that the second row also is on a track so you can move it back to get extra space. For the price and what you get its one of the better bargins.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for quick and useful replays :tup:…
I see that Tribeca is good in interior dimensions and exterior dimensions are not bad too. I think that I am few steps closer to buy Tribeca (thanks to your advices and some Tribeca web reviews) but I wonder how "She" looks besides X5 , Touareg or CX90 on the street, is she serious looking SUV like these (don’t like SUVs looking like station wagons on big wheels)?.I plan to by limited 7 pass with almost all accessories, but first must go to Italy and take some test drive or wait till Jun when we expect the first 2008 Tribeca in Montenegro.
Thanks a lot again.

·
Registered
151 Posts
In my opinion, I have seen too many X5's and while they look good, i am sick of the shape. The XC90 is a good looking vehicle but like the X5, there are a ton of them out there. I don't see too many Touregs, and they do look pretty cool, but for the price I wouldn't go there. I think the Subaru is more positioned in line with cars like the Mazda Cx-7, hyundai santa fe, and nissan murano. It has that Cross OVer vehicle shape less SUV shape. I love the front end of my 06 (very unique), and the sides, the only part I am not hot over is the rear end. I think Subaru kinda messed up on the rear.. IT looks a little too square and flat, the 08 is a little better.

In my opinion, the hottest looking CUV/SUV is the Infinity FX45/35.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The first time I pulled up in my friend's driveway (he had no idea I was buying my Tribeca) his jaw dropped. It wasn't until he walked around and finally saw the Subaru name that it struck him what this was. His first comment was, "It's a Subaru? I thought it was one of those really expensive ones." I thought that pretty much said it all for the look and styling. Park it next to any of the above mentioned vehicles and you'll have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks.
I read a lot of reviews on the web and see that 'beca is serious vehicle and that is what I need for my family (3 small children, wife & me). I research little bit MDX but that exterior look...hmm...To much Japanese, I don't like it.
Like I said before I'll import new one limited 7 pass Teribeca from US :patriot:with almost all accessories. My opinion is that Tribeca is the best choice in the class if you compare price-quality-functionality-equipment to the other competitors .

One question more, do you think that navigation system will work in Europe? Is it possible to upgrade maps in nav or not?

·
Registered
552 Posts
The navi system is DVD based. In the US you get 2 DVD (1 east coast/1 west coast). If you can get the Europe discs (any dealer should be able to provide them, in the US they are $298 USD though), I would think it should work ok.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you John for reply, I asked question because my brother import FX45 from US to Germany and must change navi system completely (3,000.00 Euro or $4,700.00) so, I’m very glad to hear what you said.
What you people think about combination, obsidian black pearl & these rims (attached)?
What dimension to choose 18 or 20 inch? Price for 20 inch is $1,740.00 with no tires ($400 more for Yokohama 275-45-20).
Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
I usually like the black rims w/ chrome lip, but I'm not feeling the solid black interior. Although it would keep the break dust inside the wheel:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts