Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Tribeca
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help diagnosis on my Subaru while driving today it started to buck like I was rear ended three times then my traction light and cruise and oil and engine lights come on , I drove it slowly to get to my mechanic and after stopping at a light it didn’t want to go when I stepped on gas slowly it moved but not normally then drove a few more miles to mechanic he thinks maybe transmission speed sensor but really not sure and the owner was not there , anyone have this issue ?

·
Registered
138 Posts
sounds that (quite typical) P1710 error(but first - read errors, of course). basically - Subaru doesn't sell the sensor by itself, but you can find it on ebay for, roughly, 100usd. replacing it - labor will be 2-3hours.
p.s. before ordering make sure - which tribeca you have - prefacelift (3.0 engine with different transmission and "two headed" sensor) or facelift(3.6 engine with "single headed" sensor).

·
Administrator
692 Posts
Are you familiar with reading codes? It's a good idea to have a code reader of some sort handy as well in addition to the advice mentioned...which of course in part mentioned to check codes first.

Code readers can be cheap.

Just making sure.

·
Administrator
692 Posts
I never dug further. With my beat up 8 dollar elm327 I just roll with that.

Just used it this morning to find a p0118 code unfortunately.

·
Administrator
692 Posts
well... when you don't have it - it is good to be able to read those codes ;)
Could you provide a shakedown on how to read the codes please? I am sure a search would reveal it but it seems easy enough. Thanks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
\USDM Tribeca 2009 FSM\BODY SECTION\INSTRUMENTATION-DRIVER INFO IDI\2 Combination Meter System.pdf

·
Administrator
692 Posts
\USDM Tribeca 2009 FSM\BODY SECTION\INSTRUMENTATION-DRIVER INFO IDI\2 Combination Meter System.pdf
What about a brief summary?

·
Registered
138 Posts
1) get codes - Screenshot
2) get descriptions of codes. one place is USDM Tribeca 2009 FSM\ENGINE SECTION\GENERAL DESCRIPTION GDH6DO\ 1 List of Diagnostic Trouble Code DTC.pdf

·
Administrator
692 Posts
1) get codes - Screenshot
2) get descriptions of codes. one place is USDM Tribeca 2009 FSM\ENGINE SECTION\GENERAL DESCRIPTION GDH6DO\ 1 List of Diagnostic Trouble Code DTC.pdf
Thanks for this!

·
Administrator
692 Posts
OP, how is your vehicle? Please provide an update.

·
Registered
138 Posts
1) did they provide you with list of things that are bad and, at least, error codes to back up their story?
2) did they offer alternatives?
3) what do you think about it? :D

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Tribeca
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1) did they provide you with list of things that are bad and, at least, error codes to back up their story?
2) did they offer alternatives?
3) what do you think about it? :D
Hello, The Codes are p1710 Torque converter speed signal and CKT 2 Malfunction. Parts come out to $2056.43 and our labor rate is $175 an hour... The total amount of time for the repairs is 6hrs leading the total labor time at $1050.00.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Tribeca
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello, The Codes are p1710 Torque converter speed signal and CKT 2 Malfunction. Parts come out to $2056.43 and our labor rate is $175 an hour... The total amount of time for the repairs is 6hrs leading the total labor time at $1050.00.
Still not sure what I am doing my son says Subaru knows of this issue and he says they are over charging me

·
Registered
138 Posts
your son is smart. :)
though you still haven't answered - is yours 3.6 or 3.0 tribeca?

1) I don't know what is CKT2 - so, I will talk about other error.
2) problem is 2nd speed sensor. Subaru doesn't offer sensor by itself. Subaru offers valve body as a whole.
that's 800bucks. ok, let's put it 900 - taxes, delivery. if you go into dealership "on foot" - your price will be 1000-1200 (I don't know how greedy is your dealership - though, if 1 workhour is 175 - I would say - very :D
what did they throw to get to 2k - I don't know, but I would really like to see.

anyway,
sensor
P1710 code fix for select 2008-2014 Subaru. 5EAT 5AT Turbine Speed Sensor 2. | eBay - roughly 80 bucks.

3) now - let's see how much it costs in reality.
3hours - that's with cleaning internal filter(which Subaru, surprise-surprise, also do not provide...... that's with working on external filter also etc. your quote does not include that work.

so - there are a lot of questions for quote you got... (that's me being polite :D

about bigger picture: I have heard interesting point of view from Mr Subaru - ( https://www.youtube.com/c/MrSubaru1387 ) - that at some point it is more productive to repair transmission as replace whole valve body (with all solenoids etc) than to repair one thingie at a time.

p.s. hint to lower that hour count: ask them - how much for adaptation of transmission. when they say - 1hour (@175bucks). ask - what do they do for those free 45minutes after they do that adaptation and why do you have to pay for it... and if they start whining about "need to warm up transmission fluid" - tell them to shut up, since they will need to do that anyway - to check level after (re)filling that fluid.

·
Administrator
692 Posts
I think it is likely a 3.6. There is a 2008 Tribeca listed under OP's name. Not sure if that was always there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts