Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Any one know if all the 2008-2009 come pre-wired for Navigation???? I'm interested in purchasing an 09' Limited Tribeca without Navigation and putting an OEM Navigation In. Is this possible or not??????? Did anyone try it? Or Know if this is possible?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Not sure, but I wanted to put OEM navi in my non navi Impreza Outback Sport. It wasn't an option, but I wanted it. The dealer told me the car isn't pre-wired for it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Navi??

Magic Marker said:
Not sure, but I wanted to put OEM navi in my non navi Impreza Outback Sport. It wasn't an option, but I wanted it. The dealer told me the car isn't pre-wired for it.[/quote

Thanks for the reply.........I'm wondering if this is the case.

·
Registered
552 Posts
No...the non-navi models are not pre-wired to add navi. It's strictly a factory option, not dealer or port installed.

There are serveral different wiring harnesses. The navi screen vs. stereo screen and the big difference is that the navi DVD-ROM and processing unit is mounted under the drivers seat. Non-navi models do not have the wiring below the seat.

Best advice if you want OEM navi is to suck up the cost difference unfortunately. Besides, unless you got some sort of inside hook-up, the cost to buy the parts alone is way more than the factory option not to mention adding in labor to do the install. So going the DIY route doesn't make any sense to me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Navi?

I'm a manager of an autobody shop and I own a copy of CCC Pathways which is my collision estimating software. It says It can be purchased, but my question that no one can answer even with my parts supplier from Subaru says they don't know if the harness would be the same.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Ah, k. Yes it can be purchased, even a "regular guy" can buy the parts straight from www.subarugenuineparts.com. But I really do not believe the harnesses to be the same, with the key omission being the DVD/processor harness going under the driver seat.

Being a autobody shop owner, you could probably do the DIY I'm sure, but I still don't get why? Even wholesale cost of parts + "free" shop time still seems more of a PITA than just finding one with navi built-in:Dunno:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nav?

I deal with a local Subaru dealer for my parts which I get 30% off list so yes it will be cheaper than getting the vehicle with The Nav. I will be doing the work myself. My diagrams also show the harness in the Dash. The Harness is 95.92 List price with 30% off would be 67.14. The Nav kit is 961.27. I'm trying to upload my CCC estimating photo diagram of the nav unit but can't get it to work. It gives a break down of the parts and where they are. I'll try again soon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
sounds like it could be a bit of a quagmire though, for example is the radio/cd head unit different if it displays to NAV versus the base model, same for trip computer too. Did you cross-reference those to see if they have NAV models?

If you can work this all out for a decent price, congrats, sounds like quite a bit of effort, but nothing beats integrated nav.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nav?

I want to show you my Diagram From My CCC Pathways collision estimating software, to show you that the parts are available. My Program is copy protected so the only way I know to show you the image is to "print Screen" when I'm in the diagram in my collision software and paste it to word pad but then for some reason it won't let me upload it to this site. May be you guys can give me some advice on how to do this so I can show you that this might be possible to add navigation. My Subaru dealer will get me all parts needed at 30% off but they said they can't return items if they don't work for my vehicle.....This is the only catch thats why I'm trying do do the research first. If you guys have any tips on how I can get the diagram up to this site it might help. My software will only let me use the "Print Screen" button on my keyboard and paste it in word pad. Like I said the software is copy protected and won't let me do anything else.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does it look something like this? The illiustration cam from 1stsubaruparts.com

From the looks of it, you would need the nav system kit (goes under seat, $960 list), nav display ($932 list), remote control (173 list), gps antenna (100 list), the wire harness (99), and maybe a few other bits. They might ding for software too, who knows.

Adds up to 2000, and even with discount, 1400? Not sure if that's everything, I don't have nav so I can't compare.

Your upload is limited to 2meg file, so if you did prt scrn, and saved as bitmap, it's probably too big.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nav?

Sigmead said:
Does it look something like this? The illiustration cam from 1stsubaruparts.com

From the looks of it, you would need the nav system kit (goes under seat, $960 list), nav display ($932 list), remote control (173 list), gps antenna (100 list), the wire harness (99), and maybe a few other bits. They might ding for software too, who knows.

Adds up to 2000, and even with discount, 1400? Not sure if that's everything, I don't have nav so I can't compare.

Your upload is limited to 2meg file, so if you did prt scrn, and saved as bitmap, it's probably too big.

Yes thats is sort of the diagram I Have as well. I guess The only way of figuring this out is to just take my dash apart when I get the vehicle next week and see what kind of harness is behind the dash. I would not mind spending that if I know this would def. work. I originaly planed to put a pioneer avic-F series in dash until I found out no one makes a dash install kit for this vehicle.

·
Registered
552 Posts
One option...would be to install an aftermarket indash touchscreen in the same location as the factory navi screen. The whole bezel around the screen comes out and you could probably fabricate something to fit in their w/o too much difficulty. You may need to buy the bezel that fits around the navi screen too since I believe the standard stereo screen is all one piece?

Just a thought;)

·
Registered
552 Posts
As for screen capture of your software...after you hit print screen, open up Paint or any other graphics program rather than Wordpad and paste your screen image there. Then you can save it as a .jpg file and then can upload it here:tup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
snork said:
As for screen capture of your software...after you hit print screen, open up Paint or any other graphics program rather than Wordpad and paste your screen image there. Then you can save it as a .jpg file and then can upload it here:tup:

Thanks For the info but I'm really looking for the stock look with the Navigation. As for the image Someone above has basicly the same image of the part as I have. I guess I'll just have to wait until I pick it up from the dealer to take apart dash and see what's in their. Then maybe I can go to my dealer and see the wiring to hook it up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Nav??

Are the radios the same for the Limited model, and limited model with Navigation??? When You update the navi, do you use a DVD or Compact disc??? The Other Thing I would like to know is if the maps are on CD or DVD Does it need to be in the radio while using Navigation. What do the updated Cd's or DVD nav software cost? Sorry for all the questions but @ the looks of this conversion it will cost me with my discount around $2000. So I don't want to screw this up. If anyone may be interested in this conversion..... if this works for me, I will post how to do it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Prlauren said:
Are the radios the same for the Limited model, and limited model with Navigation??? When You update the navi, do you use a DVD or Compact disc??? The Other Thing I would like to know is if the maps are on CD or DVD Does it need to be in the radio while using Navigation. What do the updated Cd's or DVD nav software cost? Sorry for all the questions but @ the looks of this conversion it will cost me with my discount around $2000. So I don't want to screw this up. If anyone may be interested in this conversion..... if this works for me, I will post how to do it.
The Nav is run by a DVD ROM under the drivers seat. Nothing gets loaded in the CD slot on the dash. New Disk cost $200+ but a torrent is available to the less scrupulous individuals for downloading (including myself)

One question, if it going to cost you $2,000 your self why not just get a Beca with the Nav already in, it only is about $2,300 difference and that would include the XM radio and backup camera (really like and use the camera every day myself)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wackojacko said:
The Nav is run by a DVD ROM under the drivers seat. Nothing gets loaded in the CD slot on the dash. New Disk cost $200+ but a torrent is available to the less scrupulous individuals for downloading (including myself)

One question, if it going to cost you $2,000 your self why not just get a Beca with the Nav already in, it only is about $2,300 difference and that would include the XM radio and backup camera (really like and use the camera every day myself)

Thanks for the info! I don't know where you live but I live in New York. Vehicle prices here are alot different. As for getting it with the nav New York dealers don't want to give the top of the line models away. I have more room on the limited......invoice price and a percentage over for dealer & Salesman usually is a good ref point. They Did not want to move on the price with Nav.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Check out www.bkcars.com Bill Kolb, Jr. Subaru in Rockland County on 303 behind the Palisades Mall. They are one of the biggest Subaru dealers in the country. Most all of their used cars are Subaru demos that have low miles and really good prices since they get them off auction direct from SOA. Last January I got our 07 with everything you see in my signature below for $27.5k with 8400 miles, the car was 1 yr old to the day and had never been titled before since it was a Subaru demo (which is bonus if you live in NJ cuz I got a 4yr NEW CAR registration and inspection!). I just checked out their website and they have several 08 Tribecas with similar stats for $25K-$29k. Our Tribeca with options MSRP'd for just over $39k, would have sold new for ~$35k, that's a pretty good deal IMHO:)

IMHO, the Tribeca is NOT a car I would buy new b/c the initial depreciation is horrendous:eek: :scurred: :rolleyes: Far worse than any other Subaru model...worse than most other cars for that matter:( But as a slightly used car, I could not find a better value, which is why I got one. If money was not an object, I probably would have gotten a slightly used Acura MDX, but I couldn't find anything for less than $35k (one yr old with low miles that is).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Prlauren said:
Thanks for the info! I don't know where you live but I live in New York. Vehicle prices here are alot different. As for getting it with the nav New York dealers don't want to give the top of the line models away. I have more room on the limited......invoice price and a percentage over for dealer & Salesman usually is a good ref point. They Did not want to move on the price with Nav.
I bought mine at Van Bortel Subaru in Rochester NY. They sell all models at invoice less rebates (from my understanding) - although my fellow Canadians don't get the rebates anymore.

I guess if there is more then the $2,300 difference for you to get the NAV with the car then it makes the DIY more valuable then. I find it hard to beleive that any dealers now are playing hard ball. I would think they would be needing the sales IMHO.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts