Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and test drove a 7 passenger Tribeca today, It has 50000 km about 30000 miles. It drove great though I did think the brakes were soft. I liked the exterior and especially the interior. I am concerned about having to use only premium gas and repair costs. Is there anything I should be looking for as far as problems etc. The dealer was asking 23000 cdn for a 2006 7 passenger and he also had a 2006 5 passenger for 19999 cdn with 67000km or about 42000 miles. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
146 Posts
1)Premium gas: I see no difference in performance/mileage with regular.
2)Repairs are probably average cost, but if you do them yourself, you will find things can be trickier to get at than some other cars.
3)They seem to hold up very well. Don't know of any real problem areas...but...Transmissions can shift hard when cold. After they warm up, shifting is smooth. Dealer told me in order to "warm up the fluids," it revs higher before shifting when cold.
If you don't need the 7 passenger, options are the same or adequate for you, the 5 would be the better choice. 3rd row seats are best used with small children...in car seats. Adults won't fit there comfortably or even "at all" if large.
Take all this with a grain of salt. I haven't owned mine very long...but I love it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We just bought an 06 Limited (Nav/DVD) 7 Passenger with 53K and 7/100 Gold Warranty for $18K USD from a private party. I did the 60K service early and also needed new tires and some minor body work (plastic trim). All in all prolly spent $20K on the car + TTL. I was happy to get the warranty for peace of mind. FWIW, the dealer where we bought our Outback actually had the cheapest 60K service after calling around to some reputable independents. The dealer price also included a loaner. I reduced the service cost even more by doing my own air filters and bringing in my own plugs and oil/filter. Having had German cars in the past I would say service costs are quite reasonable. Of course if you are a DIY'er all the better (only my beater Miata has to suffer at my hands though)!

We've been running Premium though I have been told by many (including reading a letter directly from Subaru I saw in another forum) that regular will work just fine (with possibly a minor loss of power or MPG that could be offset by the higher price of premium). I'm happy with it having upgraded from a 2006 Outback we bought new (and sold for $2000 less than what the Tribeca cost). Power is relative but coming from the 2.5i the 3.0 feels like a monster in comparison (even with the extra few hundred pounds of the Tribeca).

We thought about a new one but at less than 1/2 price, reduced annual registration costs and a much lower insurance premium I took the 2006 and am happy to pay 10% more for gas. I'm sure my wife will start pining for a new family car in 3-5 years anyways and I did not want a monthly car payment.

Price seems ok for Canada (I work with a team in Mississauga so I understand prices are more up there). I'm sure there is some room in there to come down a thousand or two. Good luck!

·
449 Posts
We have an 06 with 58K miles now,it's done very well. The only major thing I have done to it was today which was put on new tires.

As for the premium gas, we **** a long trip and I tried 87 VS 91 to see the difference. It seems that I got better MPG's with premium (this is highway driving at a steady state for long stretches) It kind of ended up being a wash with how much you paid VS how many miles per tank. If I went regular I had to stop sooner for gas. Also premium is recommended but not required like my Forester with a Turbo motor. You can go lower in octane.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'll have to agree with Peaty as far as fuel goes. Once regular gas is over $3.25 per gallon you actually save money by using Premium. Below that it's pretty much a wash or little difference.

Our '06 has 58,000 miles and has had only 2 issues, the common rattle in the front from the sway bar bushings/links and a lack of heat from the passenger side which turned out to be a bad heater core. BTW the factory Eagle LS's will last 60,000 miles but are terrible in any adverse weather. I took off perfectly good tires at 40,000 because my wife would not drive her care in bad weather.

Does the 7 pass have rear DVD or NAV? If you have kids the DVD is worth it. As far as the 7 passenger seating, it is cramped but doable even with 7 adults. You just need to compromise legroom for all three rows. When the third row is folded down it becomes the same as a 5 passenger.

·
449 Posts
I agree @ the tires needing to be changed out earlier if you live where you get any sort of appreciable snow fall. If we would have had the type of winter a few years ago like we are having now, the tires would have been swapped out much earlier. Normally we don't see much in the way of snow in KS but this year has been seen quite a bit of snow. And again I agree @ the DVD player. It helps a lot on long trips if you have kids...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Peaty said:
As for the premium gas, we **** a long trip and I tried 87 VS 91 to see the difference. It seems that I got better MPG's with premium (this is highway driving at a steady state for long stretches) It kind of ended up being a wash with how much you paid VS how many miles per tank.
I'll revise my original statement re: Premium.
I had actually been mixing 91 and 87 octane. If I run a full tank of 91, combination gas mileage jumps up 2 mpg. To me that's significant, as it goes from 17+ to 19+.

I have not yet taken a long trip, but will get the chance both this W/E (300+ miles) and next (700+ miles). Will run 87 (this time) going and 91 coming back. This should give me a good idea as to what the difference is and whether to invest in Premium for the longer trip.

Doug

·
449 Posts
Good luck with the new B9 :)

Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Update:
Drove 300 miles on regular, then 300 miles on premium. Slightly better mileage with premium. Could have been even better except for the fact I was driving straight into a strong wind for at least 200 miles on the return trip.
I am pretty disappointed overall. If I'd driven 60 instead of 75, my mileage would have been at least 5 mpg better but the trip would have been at least an hour longer.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
drbrousters said:
Update:
Drove 300 miles on regular, then 300 miles on premium. Slightly better mileage with premium. Could have been even better except for the fact I was driving straight into a strong wind for at least 200 miles on the return trip.
I am pretty disappointed overall. If I'd driven 60 instead of 75, my mileage would have been at least 5 mpg better but the trip would have been at least an hour longer.
Just fill her up with 91 and drive the way that makes you happy. No sense in trying to drive "eco friendly" if in the end you're not having any fun.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Have just taken my 1st half of the 700 mile trip and mileage is a bit better. It has improved to an average of 21. Most of this was up and down mountain passes in WA, ID, and MT and speed was generally 74-84 MPH, though a few short stretches of 65-70. The wind blew hard and the Tribeca was stable and comfortable the whole trip...advantage weight and horizontally opposed engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't even looked at the gas mileage, I don't care right now, We're just excited to own a great vehicle. I think that Subaru should have never changed the look after 07, the 06 and 07 are so unique. Anyway I changed my oil today, it was easy. Next on the list is a drain and fill for ATF, any pointers, should I use car ramps and access the tranny from the side. Thanks

·
Registered
308 Posts
Magic Marker said:
Just fill her up with 91 and drive the way that makes you happy. No sense in trying to drive "eco friendly" if in the end you're not having any fun.
A year ago I tested my '07. Filled a tank with 87 and my mileage dropped about 2mpg. I also found that I had to mash the gas pedal harder when driving around town, and it just felt like it was straining more. When running 92 or 93, power just feels a little more robust.

Just took a trip from Atlanta GA to Cincinnati OH, kept my speed between 70-75 and averaged 24mpg both ways (reset the tripmeter in Cinci). I've also checked the computer's mpg calculation against actual, and it's usually pretty close, being only slightly optimistic (by 1/4 mpg), so my actual for that trip was probably 23.7 - 23.9 over the course of a 1000-mile trip, and that includes going through the mountains in Tennessee on I-75.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My dash computer is always above my actual mpg. When I checked it during the 1st few months of ownership, it seemed to be accurate, but now is consistently higher than true mpg.

For the 1st leg of my trip, I got 21; 2nd leg = 23, 3rd leg was 22. The second leg of the trip was thru Idaho and winding mountain roads and the speed limit was 65 for much of it.

I drove up and down mountains the entire trip. At times the wind blew 25 to 45 mph. I'm actually happily surprised at the mileage.

I am convinced that slower driving would result in better mileage, but when driving several hundred miles, I like to go as fast as the law allows. Got to my destination in MT in time to not feel exhausted. Speed limit in WA is 70, so I usually drive 78. In MT it's 75, so 84. State Patrol has allowed me this consistantly and I've not had a ticket in many years. The Tribeca feels great @ these speeds.

Earlier Magic Marker said, "Just fill her up with 91 and drive the way that makes you happy. No sense in trying to drive 'eco friendly' if in the end you're not having any fun." I have to agree...but it would be great to have good mileage...and 22 isn't bad.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wind blew hard, snow, and hail on return trip. Drove same speed. The mileage dropped to 19 with 89 Octane. 91 octane yielded 20+. Moral of the story:
1) Use the higher octane for maximum mpg.
2) Don't measure mpg ;); be thrilled with the stability, ride, and handling.:D

If I drive 60 I get 23mpg...but where's the fun in that?:Dunno:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts