Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Year: 2006
Mileage: 96,000

Car was at the dealer last on 12/2019 for a new water pump (coolant leaking) and oil cooler O-ring (it was leaking). The dealer changed the oil and the coolant and everything was working fine.

11 months later, I do my own oil change. I drain all of the old oil and then slowly remove the filter, I put the drain plug back with a new crush washer and install a new filter and make sure it's tight. I notice some green fluid (very tiny amount). I also notice a small amount of engine oil. I check the drain plug, it's dry. I tighten the oil filter a bit more and let the car sit overnight. Today in the morning, there was a drop or 2 of oil on the floor.

I took the car for a drive to run my errands and noticed the car is really struggling to make power. It revs fine. Coolant temp seem to be normal.

I got home and noticed some steam out of the front of the engine. I checked the coolant reservoir, it's completely empty. I am suspecting the radiator is leaking or on its way out.

I am thinking of using my Toyota Camry and going to pick up some coolant from the Subaru Dealer and check the radiator when the car is cold tomorrow morning. At least I may be able to drive it to the dealer that way.

Any other suggestions, please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Common for the end tanks on either side of the radiator to split open. I had to replace the radiator on mine. It's a slow leak. Obvious because of white crust on edges.

Oil drip on floor - That will take some cleaning and careful monitoring to find.

Tom

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The oil dripping may be due to some of the stuff that came out and landed on the plastic cover.

I took some of the new oil out and inspected it, I don't see any coolant.

I just bought 2 gallons of coolant (Damn, this stuff is EXPENSIVE) so I can refill the system and drive to the dealership on Wednesday.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Refilled the coolant today and drove 28 miles to the dealership I trust.

As suspected, they discovered the lower radiator hose is leaking, the radiator itself is leaking and the cap isn't venting correctly...(not sure how that works)

They will be replacing all 4 radiator hoses, the radiator and the cap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts