Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a B9 Tribeca Turbo that is over heating. We have replaced the thermostat with an OEM one purchased at Subaru. New radiator, flushed the heater core. Used the lisle no spill and all the tricks to get air out. My mechanic thinks it’s a head gasket. We are considering a new engine from JDM in NY. Any input would be greatly appreciated. In Muncie Indiana- the car has 140k. Love the car and I haul a 900 # retro Uhaul fiberglass trailer with it.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Headgasket is the most common cause of the issue you describe. Have you use the Lisle funnel to look for bubbles when reving? There are a few videos online on how to do this. That would be proof positive.

Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tom, thanks for the response. We did and there were bubbles. The heat indicator will stay down at idle for 20 minutes then shoot up, then back down. It doesn’t seem to be losing any radiator fluid. I have talked to someone local and I think we are ordering a new low mile engine for it. Fingers crossed that it works out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know this sounds crazy but 2 years ago I had a similar problem. The dealer replaced my radiator and every time i went to pick up the car the temp would rise after a 10 minute drive. This went on for 2 months, luckily I had a loaner. The dealership said they need to charge $3500 to check the head gaskets. As a last resort I requested a new factory radiator cap and the car has run perfect for 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah- I hoped for that scenario- no luck. We put in an oem thermostat, oem radiator cap- no luck. The new engine has been delivered and is being installed right now. I’ll update in a few days.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
My car metric - If I spend 2k and it last one year long I am even. Anything less than that and I'm ahead.

Just take your final cost, divide it by 2k, and thats how long you need to keep the car.

Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just picked up my Tribeca- it’s only been 2 hours, but seems to be running fabulous. Not overheating at least. The cost was $1200 to JDM New York( $1000 for the engine w/ about 50k miles and $200 shipping). $897 to the mechanic ( he had quoted $700, but had to do a few more things ). Fingers crossed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts