Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was the very first time I've driven the B9 in the snow and the first time I've driven any AWD in the snow. I have to say it makes me feel confident with the Subie AWD system, but I did notice the rear gave way a little around a corner. Nothing that I couldn't correct, but I didn't think that would happen in an AWD SUV.

Just something that I've observed.

Comments?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Its got some wide tires, not so snow friendly. You got snow that stuck? We didnt get jack. This Tribeca has not seen snow yet.

My fave on Subaru's AWD is the start from stop on heavy snow. Car just moves, where everyone else spins.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bionicbadger said:
Do you have winter tires? That makes a big difference in grip on snow.
And AWD doesn't mean you can't have fun and swing the rear out.

Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vescNfYYMY
No winter tires. Just the stockers. I guess I'll just have to take corners a little slower.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Magic Marker said:
I did notice the rear gave way a little around a corner. Nothing that I couldn't correct, but I didn't think that would happen in an AWD SUV.

Just something that I've observed.

Comments?
That's what you get when there is 45/55 torque split. My old WRX and current Legacy don't have the rear end swinging out with their 50/50 split. It can help, though. I turned onto my street yesterday and the front end slid and wouldn't turn (no cars in the area). So I popped the throttle and got the rear end to come around to help with the turn-in. My wife's Legacy with narrower tires with a bit more aggressive tread pattern worked better in the snow later that day when we went back out. Too bad you have to spend about $1000 for wheels and snow tires for the B9. If the snow keeps up, I may have to look into it.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We don't plan on getting another set of rims and winter tires. No garage, so no space to store them. Does anyone know if 2005 and up WRX/ LGT's have the same 55/45 split in power?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2008 and I hate these tires it comes with.
They are absolutely horrible in the winter.
We had a real big snow fall a few weeks ago and the brand new Tribeca got stuck in the snow! It was shameful! Our 2001 Outback had no problems at all (it does have new tires (Bridgestone Potenza G all season's)).
At first I thought it was because the Tribeca is so much heavier but then I looked up the tires. They have horrible ratings especially for the snow.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I love driving in the snow. Even on the stock tires. I turn the traction control off just so I can slide the big suby side ways around curves and such. It's so much fun! And when I turn the traction control back on, She's planted to the ground. I don't know why everyone complains about the stock tires in the snow.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I drove the B9 with stockers in Boston when 6 inches got dumped on the city. I had to go out first thing in the morning and had a fun driving the unplowed city streets. The B9 did amazingly. No issues with traction or stopping. It was fun, but I had to watch out for the cabs that were fishtailing everywhere.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I may have posted this before but..... My feeling on the sock tires. PLEASLENTY SUPRISED. When I first saw them I was not impressed. This is the 2nd winter with them and don't let the Dayton, Oh location fool you. Evey 3 weeks starting in December we drive to South West NYS to visit family, on top of a back road hill and go skiing. Next week will be the 2nd trip to Colorado, Avon, with it. We have seen FEET of snow, ice and all that winter has to offer. I feel the Subaru AWD system is so flawless that it will get around on racing slicks.... OK maybe not that good! But I was amazed how well the Good Years have done. That being said, I've never liked Good Year (they don't last long enough) I will be replacing them by next winter. Ideas anyone? I'm thinking Nokian (is that right?)

·
Registered
26 Posts
evlB9 said:
I may have posted this before but..... My feeling on the sock tires. PLEASLENTY SUPRISED. When I first saw them I was not impressed. This is the 2nd winter with them and don't let the Dayton, Oh location fool you. Evey 3 weeks starting in December we drive to South West NYS to visit family, on top of a back road hill and go skiing. Next week will be the 2nd trip to Colorado, Avon, with it. We have seen FEET of snow, ice and all that winter has to offer. I feel the Subaru AWD system is so flawless that it will get around on racing slicks.... OK maybe not that good! But I was amazed how well the Good Years have done. That being said, I've never liked Good Year (they don't last long enough) I will be replacing them by next winter. Ideas anyone? I'm thinking Nokian (is that right?)
I recommend either of these two... I'm thinking of getting the continentals though...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Road+Venture+APT+KL51&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=555HR8KL51&fromCompare1=yes&place=1&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(Y)&minSpeedRating=H

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=CrossContact+LX&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=555HR8CCLXXL&fromCompare1=yes&place=3&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(Y)&minSpeedRating=H

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dunlop SP Sport

I've had the Dunlop SP Sport 5000's for over 30k miles. I've only experienced little wear. I still have 80% left on my tires and the traction in the snow is outstanding. It's had really great ratings, and for the cost, ya can't beat it. :tup:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, got ~ 5 inches of fluff in North Jersey. I didn't get the best traction with the stock Eagles. Just had to drive a little slower. No garage = no snow tires.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Magic Marker said:
Ok, got ~ 5 inches of fluff in North Jersey. I didn't get the best traction with the stock Eagles. Just had to drive a little slower. No garage = no snow tires.
Having the same storm now, had 2 inches this morning, car struggled up a slight incline of my driveway... Eagles just spin and spin, I had to turn off VDC so I could spin my way up... Horrible, cannot wait till spring and I get new tires that actually do what they should do!

·
Registered
26 Posts
this has to be by far the worst year for me with my subie... I dont know why i waited this long to get new tires... Just on a simple slop, the awd system has such a hard time searching for a tire with traction... Mostly because these tires cant grip a thing on any surface... The very thin sipes just clog with snow, and its like riding with bald tires haha... I'm amazed by the few of you that say you can get by... The tread is low, but not so low that its dangerous... Im not even near the wear bars yet...

·
Registered
4 Posts
The stock tires that is on the 06 are horrible in the snow, never had this trouble with either of my wrx's or wife's legacy wagon. Call me cheap, I have always put Kumho high performance all season's on them and they have made a world of difference. I will have to look into finding something for the B9, if someone didn't know, they would drive one and not want it ever again. For those that think it is wide tires that make you slide, I also own a 99 suburban, she doesn't move funny at all in the snow. I was following a ford F-150 or 250 on same entrance to mall at same speed, ford went through turn and subaru started to understeer, granted, I still have the tires that came with the car off lease, but at 26k of miles I wouldn't have thought you would get next to no grip.

·
Registered
196 Posts
2manysubies said:
The stock tires that is on the 06 are horrible in the snow, never had this trouble with either of my wrx's or wife's legacy wagon. Call me cheap, I have always put Kumho high performance all season's on them and they have made a world of difference. I will have to look into finding something for the B9, if someone didn't know, they would drive one and not want it ever again. For those that think it is wide tires that make you slide, I also own a 99 suburban, she doesn't move funny at all in the snow. I was following a ford F-150 or 250 on same entrance to mall at same speed, ford went through turn and subaru started to understeer, granted, I still have the tires that came with the car off lease, but at 26k of miles I wouldn't have thought you would get next to no grip.
I recently bought Continental CrossContact XL on my 07 a couple months ago and love them. I couldn't handle the stock Goodyears for one more winter.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Magic Marker said:
No winter tires. Just the stockers. I guess I'll just have to take corners a little slower.
Our Tribeca has survived 1.5 winters with the stock tires. Haven't gotten stuck yet-knock on wood.

The Blizzaks arrived the other day from the Tire Rack. I'm now waiting for the wheels (2008 Tribeca wheels-2000 miles on them) and TPMS to arrive. They should be ready for the usual March snow dumps.;) By then the Tribeca should be out of the repair shop with two new passenger side doors (beware of young female drivers talking on cell phones :mad:).

MNSteve

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+LM-25+4X4

1 - 20 of 29 Posts