Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still in break-in (<200 miles) of my 09 Tribeca.
Just set up a new local trip for fun.
But trip computer shows an average 10MPG for the trip, so far about 15 miles.

Just wonder if the computer can give an accurate number. Or how to get the accurate number (divide a total Miles by full tank 16.9 Gal?).

·
Registered
139 Posts
Your division method would only be truly accurate if you ran your tank completely empty.

Where do you live, and what sort of driving do you do?

Also, what octane fuel are you using?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
south california.
just regular local. no hill or bump.
cheapest 87 gas.

BTW, how many gallon is still left when "empty gas warning" lights?
The link http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tribeca/tribeca2009.html
gives just inconsistant number about "Low fuel light comes on": 3-3.5 gallon left in middle page, and 2.6 gallon left in the bottom.
What's the approximate number you guys found (by the amount of gallon you can actually gas in MINUS 16.9)?

Many Thanks!

·
Registered
552 Posts
I've found there's about 3 gallons left when the light comes on.

We run 87 in our B9, and I've averaged 18 city/21 highway...right about the EPA avg for the car. I've found the trip computer to be a bit optimistic of MPG calcs. It'll report 23 MPG, but I calculate 21 MPG (miles driven/gallons filled).

·
Registered
43 Posts
taller said:
Still in break-in (<200 miles) of my 09 Tribeca.
Just set up a new local trip for fun.
But trip computer shows an average 10MPG for the trip, so far about 15 miles.

Just wonder if the computer can give an accurate number. Or how to get the accurate number (divide a total Miles by full tank 16.9 Gal?).

wow...you must autocross to work! :rolleyes:

2.6 gallons remain when the fuel light comes on...fwiw

·
Registered
2 Posts
just some info on this...... look in your manual im 99% sure 91 octane is the only thing subaru says to run.... so with you running 87 im guessing is why your getting 10mpg i average around 19 on my 06 b9 with 91....

·
Registered
837 Posts
The 08+ are good to go on 87 if you really want to run the cheapest you can, also 06-07 recommended to run only 91+, you can go less if you want but at your own peril.

Has anyone noticed a slight improvement in mpg dropping from 93-89 octane seems a little wierd, we ran a tankful of 89 and it returned a couple extra mpg via the trip calculations when compared to running 93. Wife also reported hesitation and lazy shifting with 89.

·
Registered
9 Posts
to calculate you must have a full tank. Then when you fill up write down how many miles. Then divide the gallons of gas used. That is your true MPG. This is the most accurate method.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2006 B9 23.5 Mpg

Used 91 octane for over 1750 miles (half in Colorado mountains) and got 23.5 MPG.
We were at 24 MPG till we were forced to use 10% ethanol the last 450 miles.
This is the best I've gotten since we've had the B9.
City driving is normally 17-19 MPG.
Also I might add that I've used Walmart 5w 30 Supertech Full Synthetic and change each 7000 miles when oil starts to show some color.
As far as oil consumption goes it's nearly zero. I can't remember having added any prior to trip and after trip it was about 1/4 quart low @ 7000 mi.
The mileage is 86500 miles.

Dislikes: When in sport mode and select a gear tranny remains in 1st after stop and one can easily over rev if not aware.

Likes: Selectable gears in sport mode for mountain grades.

·
Registered
3 Posts
over reving B9

At what point, rpm, would it shift to the next gear?
That's yet never happened.
One is suddenly aware of a 4k-5K rpm in 1st.
As a rule I've avoided 5k-7K rpm range.

John

·
Registered
837 Posts
At redline, i think around 6700 rpm so if your not revving that high, your missing out on a large part of the powerband and not using the full potential of the engine. It is perfectly safe to push the h6 to those rpms.

But in the sense you were referring to, no the ecm will not force a shift until redline, otherwise it would be pointless having a manual mode.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts