Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to do the first oil change on my 09 tribeca.
What is the subaru part # for the replacement filter.
Will any H6 oil filter work.
For bonus points what would be the oil filter part # for a 2005 legacy gt(turbo) 2.5?

·
Registered
106 Posts
The oil filter is the same for all model year Tribecas -- 15208AA031. I just bought a couple from my dealership.

I think you'll need to buy a new a crush washer for the drain plug, too. (I also just bought a Fumoto drain valve to minimize messy changes, and it comes with a new -- hopefully lifetime -- washer.)

Sorry -- can't help you with the Legacy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tribeca oil filter

Hi,
I'm doing my first TRI oil change... Where did you buy the Fumoto valve ? Any helpful hints :confused: Mobil 1 :confused:
Thanks....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TRI oil change.

I did my first oil change and there are a few things that I learned.
1. Oil change is possible for me without using a lift
2. make sure your drain pan is empty and the collection hole is free of all obstructions the 7 quarts of oil comes out fast!
3. My first oil change at 3K miles. I added motor flush then warmed the engine then drain. Replaced plug added 5 quarts of cheap oil correct wt warmed the engine for 5 min then drain. Changed the oil filter replace drain plug and poured the Mobile 1 sythetic in. It took about 7 quarts. Costco or Walmat have the best price for M1 syn.

Good luck and make sure you have some old towels or newspaper incase there is a spill.

Fumoto valve I do not have. Oil filters can be purchased at autozone or even walmart

·
Registered
106 Posts
I bought the valve from www.quickoildrainvalve.com

Also, looking at the paint pattern on my original plug and washer, it looks like the side of the washer with the smaller outside diameter faces the bolt.

I used standard pennzoil, but I've never been picky about oil, because I religiously change it at 3k miles. I'm not clear on the "rules" regarding synthetic, but I think you're not supposed to switch over until X number of miles. Don't know why.

The thing I don't like about Tribeca oil changes is the large and odd quantity required -- 6.7, not an even 7. I do like those Subaru filters with the numbers painted in 1/8 increments around the side -- it's a cinch to make sure you go 3/4 turn. Just be sure that the old gasket comes off with the filter -- I think somebody here had an issue with that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
what do you guys think of the pl14459 oil filter from purolator (pureone)? The OEM one is expensive for what it is and am currently using the pureone on the WRX (yes the one that meets the right bypass valve pressure requirements) :D thanks!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've been using the Mobil 1 (M-104) filter w/out any problem. Also, upgrade to that drain valve - it sure makes draining the oil easy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
sweetpete said:
I've been using the Mobil 1 (M-104) filter w/out any problem. Also, upgrade to that drain valve - it sure makes draining the oil easy.
yes the drain valve really is that amazing.. any input anyone on the pureone pl14459 oil filter peeps?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I buy my filters by the case from Baldwin filters.
http://www.bfwebexpress.com/catalog.asp
B1444 oil filters, 12 for $40.66
PA4188 Cabin air filters, 6 for $78.79
PA4197 engine air filters, 6 for $61.03
All 3 cases cost me a little over $200 delivered to MA from CA
I talked to the Baldwin engineer and he said the bypass was really spec'd at 13. I suggested he change the website. Contact them if you are concerned, they will call you back!
I also bought a quickchange valve with nipple, will install next oil change.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought a case of Castrol Syntec at Costco Canada, $32 for 6 litres, according to the metric calculator, that is 6.34 (US) quarts, I suppose that won't be enough?
I found the M-104 M1 filter at Canadian Tire on sale from $14.99 to $10.99 and I ordered the Fumoto drain valve from http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/
It was cheaper to buy from the US than buy it from the Canadian dealer and it takes the same time to ship.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts