Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this so here goes. Have a couple of noise questions.

1-A distinct "klink" sound coming from one or more wheels as you shift from drive to reverse or vice versa. The sound is heard right as you apply power and start moving the vehicle after you've shifted. Usually it's one or two "klinks" - one from each wheel. If you come to a stop, go to reverse and start to back up an incline, the sounds are more distinct as more torque is applied to the wheels. Dealer said it could be brake calipers releasing but have not heard it on other cars I've owned, including an '03 Forester. Any ideas?

2-Annoying whine coming from engine that is always there and changes pitch with engine RPM change - not speed of vehicle. It's worse below 2,500 RPM as it's lower in pitch then. Above about 2,500 RPM it's less noticeable as the whine is higher and blends in with other noises. Was told it could be the sound of the H-6 engine timing chain. Sounds mighty loud and crude for a vehicle of this caliber. Any ideas on this?

·
Registered
630 Posts
hmm seems normal and not too bad, could bring to dealer? worst issue is the back door rattle..for that go straight to dealer :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had the rear door rattle, too but adjusted the striker plate myself. The noise has not returned for over a year now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Had that clinking, clunking noise in my 08 too. After 3 or 4 checks during routine maintenance (and being told it was probably the calipers twice) I finally had it figured out by the dealer. Something like the axle-nuts (I think, they didn't give me the paperwork) were a little loose. Dealer told me it was no real problem, but they tightened them up anyway and boy am I happier with no clinking!

·
Registered
405 Posts
My clunk is still present 09 tribeca as described above and was told by delayer that allot of the TRIBECAS do it, they say they don't know what it could be after tightening up axle nuts, and checking all the breaks.

Not good and very frustrating in a one year old vehicle, clunk has been there since 3rd month of ownership.

If anyone has a dealer who has an idea, please ask and tell me?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Mine still there after dealer looked at it!

If I place in D front clunk then rear clunk a split second later, if in reverse I hear rear first then front. That is on spirited acceleration meaning not like a granny.

I have noticed that when I place it in gear and don't hit accelerator harder then usual and after 100 yards I hit accelerator I hear that click.

I was told at dealer that they can't find anything wrong and they/I can recreate sound at will.

Get in TRIBECA place car in D gear but keep foot on brake and hit accelerator, I hear front and then rear clink. The sounds reverse order when doing this in R gear WHEN right foot hit accelerator the left foot on break. This recreates sound heard when car is moving.

They don't know what does it, supposedly. I just hope it is not the axles.

I DO WANT TO KNOW WHAT DOES IT?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts