Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 with 89000 miles fans got sporadic on my wife one day temp went high while she was sitting running ac at her dads, then fans kicked on and brought right back into line. one week later fans no longer turn on. I have checked voltage when i replaced the fan controller (OEM) and have voltage present on the heavy input wires to the fan controller, I know the fans work i checked that and I know the controller is functioning. I have also replaced the fan relay with an oem relay. The problem is I find nothing for any kind of fuses, I am assuming the problem is in the control wire that signals the fans to come on, assuming the main connector to the fan controller is 3 wire as it appears two heavy on each side and a small center wire.
Coolant is in good shape and has no air in it everything appears to be working fine otherwise, if over 30 mph she wont get hot its just lack of the fans coming on. neither fan is cycling. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
146 Posts
radiator cap was changed last when?
what is outside temperature in your location?
you could update your ecu with lower fan on temperature...
p.s. when you turn on engine when it is cold - don't you have white smoke?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the fans not turning on is the problem, im getting well over 203 without them turning on, it isnt head gasket or the rad cap. I am looking for someone hopefully that has had this problem with the fan ckt

Moderator note....being that these vehicles are rare you might have to grab help where you can get it. Assuming you did a search of this forum using the search function and google? I am not able to help much as I have a 3.0.

·
Registered
146 Posts
if the problem is that it turns on late - reprogram ECU. ecu definitions are available free, opentactrix cables - can be bought or find somebody close by to use theirs, romraider is free.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if it goes that route I will have more questions im not as versed in ecu reprogramming on subarus

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so I have measured more tonight. I have a parts 2008 Tribeca (our old one that a friend borrowed and got t boned in......so i took measurements tonight of the normal running cooling system car, the fan controller input plug runs a nice 14 volts. The one that's not running the cooling fans is 2 volts even never gets higher so there it is. I was speaking to another gentleman who told me about 08-09 (i am not sure on 1st gen tribecas) that those years have problems with smoking the fan control part of the ECU, he had burned up 2 ECU and on the third ecu he simply put a separate universal fan control in and problem solved he hasn't had any other issues, so that may be the route I take...any other thoughts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i know its not the relay
as having the part car i exchanged the relay and no change

·
Registered
146 Posts
Moderator Note - Negative portion removed. Comment modified to articulate technical substance.

check FSM\Engine section\COoling COH6DO\2 Radiator Fan System.pdf:
C: INSPECTION DETECTING CONDITION:
• Engine coolant temperature is 95°C (203°F) or more.
• A/C switch OFF
• Vehicle speed is below 19 km/h (12 MPH).
TROUBLE SYMPTOMS: Radiator main fan and sub fan do not rotate under the above conditions
there are 9 things to check.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Moderator Note - Argumentative portion removed. Comment modified to articulate technical substance.

The car I am taking parts from not a perfectly running car.I have (2) 2008 tribecas. One has been totaled and was purchased from the insurance company to keep as a parts donor car (since i have two current road going tribecas). So the parts are there to use,

I have went through the FSM troubleshooting, as they have laid out in the book, including hooking my professional scan tool and watching temps right down to the hundredth of a degre. I have traced the wiring back and ran all possible scenarios. its in the ecu and I refuse to pay the price of an ecu for one not properly fused as they have run 2008-09 models.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Moderator Note - Argumentative portion removed. Comment modified to articulate technical substance.

it is not clear to me - those 2008 you mention - are they facelift(3.6 engine) or prefacelift(3.0 engine)? because - this is first time I hear that tribeca ecu's have problem with fan control.(except temperature limits we discussed earlier). even friends 3.6 in Israel.
so - it might be just you and other old gentleman.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Additional Notes:

I used a Snap-on Triton-d10, the temperature is on, and the fans are not getting the control command to cycle.

i seemed to have easily found someone else with the same problem, furthermore its apparently since Subaru changed the design for 2010 only 2 years after implementing the new format with the new engine, so seems like they had run into some problems with fan control, and revamped wiring and fan control protocol. i noted this in the schematics between the two and verify with fuse layout.

I exhausted troubleshooting the route of the FSM which is poorly written at best. So these were some last ditch efforts that i figured I would try

·
Registered
146 Posts

Additional Notes:

im getting well over 203 without them turning on"

I haven't heard about cooling issues where root of it was damaged/problematic ecu.

·
Administrator
704 Posts
Lord have mercy! Calm down everyone.
I understand that this situation is frustrating and times are frustrating.

Please be positive from here on in while staying technical and friendly.

There is enough crappy negative stuff going on in the world for this. The forum is not intended to be an extension of this.

I will allow the thread to continue provided that no more insults are traded.

Any more arguing will result in this thread being closed and administrative actions being taken.

Reactions: OliverB
1 - 14 of 14 Posts