Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the following may have been posted on other threads, but I searched far and wide with little avail.

About 2 weeks ago, my check engine light came on upon start up, along with the traction control (off) light and the cruise light was blinking.

I eventually figured out that the blinking cruise and the disabled traction control happens any time the check engine light comes on for safety reasons. I cannot say this is true for sure...but when I fixed my problem, everythig was fine, so it seems like good verification.

I ran the codes which indicated low voltage on the heater wire of the o2 sensor 1, bank 2. Since there are two exhaust pipes, bank 1 is on the passenger side, and bank 2 is on the driver's side. (Bank 1 is on the side of the engine where cylinder 1 is located).

Sensor 1 is in front of the cat. I've replaced O2 sensors before on other cars, and this one had to be one of the easiest to access. Sensor 2 is behind the cat, which looks to require an angled ratchet and some body contorsions.....I'll do it sooner or later...but I digress.

I'm a cheapskate, so I wasn't going to pay 120 bucks or more for an o2 sensor. Instead, I purchased a generic O2 sensor off of ebay for 19.99 with free shipping. The company I bought from was global automotive in Miami, and the sensor was a Borg Warner. Here is the ebay item number to view:

No wiring instructions were included.....this isn't a "plug and play" like the OEMs, so it requires cutting the plug off of the OEM and splicing it to the Borg Warner sensor. Figuring out what wires go where took some work, but I will spare you the agony. I don't have pics, but you can research the OEM sensor and see that it is a 4 wire configuration going into a square plug. Each of the four wires is close to one corner of the square. Without going into long details...here's what you have to do.

The wire colors of the Tribeca and the wire colors of the Borg Warner sensor don't match up of course. To add insult to injury, the Tribeca wires have 2 blacks, one Blue and one White. The Borg Warner wire colors are WHite, Purple, Black, and gray.

Once you have cut off the plug from the defective Tribeca sensor, leaving enough wire to make the splices and a little more in case of error, turn the plug so you are looking down on it with the wires popping out toward you, with the two black wires on top of the "square". Going clockwise from the upper left of the square, you will see the first black wire, the second black wire, the blue wire, and the white wire. The Borg Warner's White goes to black 1, the Borg's Purple goes to black 2, the Borg's black goes to the blue, and the Borg's gray goes to the white.

Don't splice by using butt connectors...always solder. The sensor comes with heat shrink.....use it! Put some anti-seize on the threads and torque that baby back in there and plug it in. (Sorry...I can't remember the torque pec off the top of my head. Once the code is cleared (I have a whole host of tools at my disposal including a code reader/clearer) you are on your way.

Will this generic o2 sensor last? I don't know....they have lasted in other vehicles, but we will see. You do need tools to get this done, but saving $100 bucks or more on the part, along with $100 per hour if the dealer did it is well worth it if it lasts. I'll keep you posted on what happens.

As an aside, I just bought this Tribeca used not so long ago, and I love it. Sure, I didn't like seeing an O2 sensor dying at 43k, but I got to know the car better and you can't beat that. I'm in Ohio, and driving in the snow is much easier than it was in my beater.....a 99 Kia Sephia.

·
449 Posts
I've use the generic O2 sensor but on my Miata. It was a Bosch brand and it came with very good directions plus a special type of connector to hook the wires up. A very complicated thing that was very waterproof and had screw down locks for each wire. I'm curious how you were able to solder the wire? The wires aren't' copper but stainless steel at least the Miata ones were and I was under the impression most sensors were that way. Stainless steel typically does not solder with your normal flux / solder set-up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
P0051 H02s 2/ 1 Heater Ckt Low

Peaty said:
I've use the generic O2 sensor but on my Miata. It was a Bosch brand and it came with very good directions plus a special type of connector to hook the wires up. A very complicated thing that was very waterproof and had screw down locks for each wire. I'm curious how you were able to solder the wire? The wires aren't' copper but stainless steel at least the Miata ones were and I was under the impression most sensors were that way. Stainless steel typically does not solder with your normal flux / solder set-up.
Jaudio:
How is the new sensor working? I have to replace and was wondering how difficult this task was? did you happen to have any pictures now?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I have a question. If you have an 08, I presume you're under warranty. Why wouldn't you bring it back to the dealer?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.