Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks, gotta make some cross browser checks for IE but hopefully your using Mozilla / firefox anyway.....

·
Registered
552 Posts
Very nice walkthrough:tup:

And I can confirm the slideshow wouldn't appear in IE8. Firefox had no probs except I don't think your link to Quick Connect Products is working...it linked to another dbrally team page.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Again

fixed the link, thanks. Working on the slide show / IE it's a little more involved...

...if everyone would just please switch to firefox

·
Registered
80 Posts
spiwrx said:
Hey everyone. I recently completed a tutorial on the Parrot & Bluetooth Install I did on my wife's 08 Tribeca, If you are going to try this yourself, it was easy but here is my tutorial to help with a few things...

http://www.dbrally.com/tribeca.html
Awesome job! This is definately saved in Favourites! Will be doing something similar (well, OK I'll be copying you), but I have a couple questions:

1) From harness website, I notice yours is the "all except harmon/kardon" harness. How do you know if the car sterero is not harmon/kardon. I have a canadian tribeca premiere which has 8 speakers with subwoofer, 6CD changer, rear entertainment and NAV. Any help/advice regarding which harness I need?

2) Any opinion between CK3100, 3200LS vs the MKI 9100? I like the CK3100 and MKI 9100 for its similarity in size/shape over the 3200LS LCD display. Comments?

Thanks
mwoo68

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I cannot help you with the harness, I suggest you call or email quick connect. Their support was really helpful when I did this article.

As for the Parrot, this is purely a matter of what features are important to you. For me it was size. Once the unit is set up you really only need the 'Call & 'end' button most other features I still use directly from our phones. The lager displays are cool, but are you really going to use them? or is it just going to a novelty and go unused once the 'shine' has worn off? From my experience probably he latter...

Sorry I couldn't give you specific answers. Perhaps another way to tell which radio you have would be to pull the radio. It can be done rather quickly....

·
Registered
80 Posts
spiwrx said:
I cannot help you with the harness, I suggest you call or email quick connect. Their support was really helpful when I did this article.

As for the Parrot, this is purely a matter of what features are important to you. For me it was size. Once the unit is set up you really only need the 'Call & 'end' button most other features I still use directly from our phones. The lager displays are cool, but are you really going to use them? or is it just going to a novelty and go unused once the 'shine' has worn off? From my experience probably he latter...

Sorry I couldn't give you specific answers. Perhaps another way to tell which radio you have would be to pull the radio. It can be done rather quickly....
Thanks for the reply. One way or another, there's a harness, I just gotta figure which is the best one.

I agree about the novelty issue, that's why I have been shying away from the LCD screen.

Do you think you can shoot a pic of the microphone area. I just wanted a glimpse of where the stopped and how you mounted the microphone area. That would be great if you could.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll see if I can get a pic for you, but I just tucked the wire behind the "A" pillar and used the 'horse shoe' or 'hair pin' shaped clip right at the top of the "A" pilar where it meets the headliner. I've used this position on all my Blue tooth installs and it seems to be one of the most trouble free & best performing spots unless it's in the way of the visor. In which case I just leave the wire a bit longer and just clip to the visor...In the Tribeca if you tuck it away neatly you can clear the visor.

·
Registered
80 Posts
spiwrx said:
Hey everyone. I recently completed a tutorial on the Parrot & Bluetooth Install I did on my wife's 08 Tribeca, If you are going to try this yourself, it was easy but here is my tutorial to help with a few things...

I've bought a CK3100 like yours, but I've contacted quickconnect products and hfvt for advice and it is very conflicting. I know I should just pop the HU out and send it to them, but I was wondering can you tell me your vehicle model.

Does yours have Rear entertainment, NAV, 8 speakers, OEM subwoofer, 6 CD changer, rear backup camera??? I don't think the stereo changed from 2008 to 2009, so if you have all the above features, then I'll just get the same harness like yours.

Also, can you comment on how the CK3100 integrates or works alongside the rear entertainment or NAV when a call comes in. I assume it just mutes it, but they all still work without sound?

Just one more question, if the stereo is not on because you wanted some peace and quiet, what happens if the phone rings. Can you answer it and will you hear the caller on the car speaker?

Thanks much!
Michael

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's primarily my wifes car. I prefer my WRX, but from my understanding the the Parrot basically acts like a relay or switch, as it takes the speakers off the main system and then applies them to the parrot system. So although i haven't tested it with the radio off, it should just ring through.

Same with the rear ent. sys. it just cuts out during the call (audio only).

I have an 09 with the all same less the rear sub. Funny when I removed the HU I found the Nav is Kenwood, Rear Ent. is Panasonic and I forgot what the actual HU was, interesting???

You know regardless of your system you'll be able to install the Parrot, the Harness just makes it so much easier... If you have time on your side I would just go with your gut and order it, if it's wrong send it back for the right one...

·
Registered
80 Posts
You know regardless of your system you'll be able to install the Parrot, the Harness just makes it so much easier... If you have time on your side I would just go with your gut and order it, if it's wrong send it back for the right one...[/quote]

Well, getting ready to install when the new mki9100 comes. I originally bought a MKi9100 and CK3100, for both my vehicles. Decided to do my older Acura first and put in the CK3100, what do you know, was defective, so I put in the mki9100 and worked great! The media cable is pretty decent and the sound not bad at all. The neatest feature, the USB can be used to charge devices as well as play music from USB flash. I'm using the USB to power up my TomTom, so no more clunky cable or bulky 12V plug in the cig. adapter when using the TOMTOM. Something to consider if anyone needing a GPS that can be powered via USB and don't want the 12V wire clutter on the Tribeca.

After returning the CK3100, I've decided to keep the same systems to ordered another mki9100 for the Tribeca. I also purchased a harness from HFVT (HF-SUB-TH1-AMK-ISO). As per instructions, it says if hooking up a Parrot MK series, you don't need to use any of the PARROT harnesses, which I think is great.

I'll try and catalogue the install with wording/pics, but I'll already warn, it won't be anywhere near as good as your instructional!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Val Demar said:
How does MKi9100 deliver music to speakers? Is it by means of its internal amplifier or it connects to the AUX input on the HU?
It has its own amp. if you're HU is off, you can play music from the media cable and the phone will ring etc...

even if the HU is on, and you are playing music from mki9100, the HU won't play. only when you stop playing from mki9100, the system will release itself and the HU will begin playing whatever it is, ie/ radio/cd etc...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I'm just using a Motorola T505 and it works pretty well. I can run the audio through the FM modulator, but some people say I sound too far away.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Magic Marker said:
I'm just using a Motorola T505 and it works pretty well. I can run the audio through the FM modulator, but some people say I sound too far away.
What's important is as long as you're happy with it.

You'd think for the type of system mki9100 is (ie/needing installation), it would be perfect only for the heavy user, but as a very casual user like myself, I found it even more practical. If I had a T505, it'd probably be good enough, function wise (just to stay legal), but when I do want to use it, it'd probably need charging. I'd think that if I used it daily, then the charging routine would become second nature and most likely wouldn't be an issue!

I guess my laziness just costed me big!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I personally prefer more integrated solutions that are always "on", don't need charging, and can automatically mute sound irrespectively of the currently selected audio source. I'd probably sacrifice all of that for a visor-mounted solution for its simplicity but from my experience they don't work well with visor down or moved to the side, also most of them are not loud enough.

·
Registered
80 Posts
spiwrx said:

I will add some pictures for a Parrot MKi9100 Bluetooth with media cable install for a 2009 Tribeca.

The install is basically SPIWRX's efforts, but now for the MKi9100 and also the Subaru 2009 IPOD Interface Kit instructions to help in the installation of the MKi9100 media cable in the same location as the Subaru IPOD integration kit. See http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/ixSearchFree.jsp?publication_type=12&text_keyword=&keyword=&free_pub=13 Scroll down and look for 2009 iPod Interface Kit - Legacy and Tribeca (H621SXA200) (2592.69 kb)

The pdf file is a brief (very brief) outline of what I did.:)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts