Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are about to make a purchase on an 07 B9. We are curious as to whether the differences made for the 08 model year are enough to maybe warrant looking at that.

This is what we are looking at:

2007 Subaru B9 Tribeca Limited 7-Passenger
Diamond Gray Metallic
Gray Leather
52,000 miles
Navigation
DVD Player
Sunroof
$21,000

Or

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 7-Passenger
Diamond Gray Metallic
Gray Leather
45,000 miles
Navigation
DVD Player
Sunroof
$28,000

Is the engine, transmission, styling, and visibility, improvements that drastic as to be worth an extra $7K-$8K in the used market right now?

Thanks!

·
Registered
214 Posts
That's some crazy difference between the 2. 28k for an 08 is a pipe dream, especially since a 2010 starts at 30k.

Aside from the style perspective, the more efficient engine in the 08 (same block, different parts) give you better mpg. But it will take a long time to make up $7k worth of gas.

captainmorgan said:
My wife and I are about to make a purchase on an 07 B9. We are curious as to whether the differences made for the 08 model year are enough to maybe warrant looking at that.

This is what we are looking at:

2007 Subaru B9 Tribeca Limited 7-Passenger
Diamond Gray Metallic
Gray Leather
52,000 miles
Navigation
DVD Player
Sunroof
$21,000

Or

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 7-Passenger
Diamond Gray Metallic
Gray Leather
45,000 miles
Navigation
DVD Player
Sunroof
$28,000

Is the engine, transmission, styling, and visibility, improvements that drastic as to be worth an extra $7K-$8K in the used market right now?

Thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
We've only had a couple of '08s in the UK, they have not been officially imported (there are still unsold '07s!) but I think the engine upgrades are key. The 3.0 engine/gearbox combination struggles at higher speeds. The gearbox is geared too high for the available torque which I find frustrating on longer journeys.
IMO the '08 styling is a backward step but that is purely subjective. The rest is pretty much unchanged and all the better for it. I think the Tribeca is a nice place to be with wife and kids on a family holiday and I'm sure we'll hang on to ours for many years to come.

So..... styling worse, engine/gearbox better. I'd go for the '08 but that is because I do all the long haul driving. My wife uses our '07 on a daily basis and I doubt she'd notice the difference on her 10 mile commute.

·
Registered
108 Posts
28k is too high. Heck, I'd sell you my 3,000-mile '09 SE for that price and earn me a nice profit. Plug the information you have into the Kelly Blue Book or NADA guides and they'll spit out ballpark prices. The price on the '07 seems to be in the ballpark.

If you want an '08, my advice is to keep looking -- you'll find one with fewer miles at a better price, rest assured. For what it's worth, I also recommend an '08 or newer model for the drivetrain reasons. As for the different styles, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My best friend bought an '06 because it looked different from everything else and I bought my '09 because it didn't, yet we still somehow manage to be buddies....

·
Registered
345 Posts
Aside from the price I think there are big differences. Personally, we would of never bought an '06 or '07 based on the bizarre front end styling. Fortunately, Subaru wised up and redesigned it as well as other styling deficiencies in '08.

You also have a more powerful engine and no need to buy premium unleaded as in the older models. I'm sure from a re-sale standpoint an '08 is going to maintain it's value better because of these improvements.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, pulled the trigger and bought to 07 for $20k. It is a sweet ride! I've looked at probably 8 or so used ones in about the $20K-$25K range, and this one was by far in the best condition. I think it'll server us very well for years to come.

I already have new wheels picked out too; AHA JH8-Chrome in 20".

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you ever feel a need for more power- just pull that shift lever towards you. Sport mode takes care of all those complaints about the 3.0L being slow to shift or lacking in torque.

Granted, it's subjective, but I greatly prefer the unique "alfa romeo" looking styling of the '07 to the 'chrysler pacifica' styling of the newer models.

enjoy. the 'beca is a great vehicle. Looks and feels good every time I drive it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Congratulations! I just picked up an '06 and love it!

Granted, it's subjective, but I greatly prefer the unique "alfa romeo" looking styling of the '07 to the 'chrysler pacifica' styling of the newer models.
Agreed, I'm pretty bummed at current Subaru styling. Too mainstream looking for me. I think the '08+ looks an awful lot like a Ford Edge (or a Pacifica). Heck, across the board they've become boring.

Part of what always attracted me to a Subaru was that they didn't look like every other car on the road. I'd own a 2008+ but reluctantly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I suppose some people might debate the front looks on the 08 + model but you have to say the rear end looks better than the 07.

·
Registered
36 Posts
to clarify, I like the ford edge and by default I like the newer style enough on the Tribeca but I still don't think it compares with the '06-07... even the rear end. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.