Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed lately my B9 has a hard shift from 1-2 & 2-3 at times when cold. After you drive it for a little while it goes away. It seems to happen more under moderate acceleration. Anyone else have this issue? I think I'll call the dealer on Monday and have them check it out. It has over 60K but have the extended warranty from Subaru. Thanks! Mike

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm surprised you didn't notice it sooner, it is most likely normal operation. The engine and transmission program has functions built in to get the vehicle to operating temperature as quickly as possible. The biggest item on the list is delayed and harsher than normal shifts. The faster the vehicle gets to operating temperature, the faster the emissions drop and the better the fuel economy. Usually within 3-5 minutes of driving the transmission begins to shift normally. It is most noticable when accelerating lightly.:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Swootton for the information. Now that you mention it, the shifts do seem delayed more when cold and then you get the "clunk" into 2nd and 3rd gears. Once it's warmed up the condition goes away. I just wonder if Subaru would have any firmware updates for the module? The car has really never had any issues since purchased in 2007 other than maintenance.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ours is the same. I assumed it was a combination of a cold gearbox (jerky change) and the fact that the ECM doesn't want a cold engine to labour or bog down (delayed higher rev change). It is normally fine within a mile or so.

·
Registered
152 Posts
relsoc said:
Thanks, Swootton for the information. Now that you mention it, the shifts do seem delayed more when cold and then you get the "clunk" into 2nd and 3rd gears. Once it's warmed up the condition goes away. I just wonder if Subaru would have any firmware updates for the module? The car has really never had any issues since purchased in 2007 other than maintenance.
Subaru has a TCU/TCM firmware update for 06-07 that fixes "cold shifting performance". If your in warranty, just take it in and get the update.

·
Registered
630 Posts
yeah is that normal...cuz when it accelerates its a long accelaration, and its alittle noisy..i like the noise but i guess others dont? :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Has anyone had the firmware update done? Worth doing? Our powertrain warranty expires in 4,000 miles and I am debating having it done.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine is getting the update today along with a new belt tensioner pully and idler pully. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey All,

Had firmware update done @ Carr Subaru, No Change after update. Still shifts hard until warmed up then smooth as silk, Also, apparently its not covered under the powertrain warranty...So be ready to shell out about $100.

-DrCox

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ours is shifting well after the update. Also had the 60K done recently as well. It's running like the day it came off the showroom floor! I wonder if your programming didn't take? I know that can happen sometimes. Maybe have them recheck the version that is in the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts