Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an 07 from Knoxville, having it shipped to Vt. Can I run this thing on 91 octane?, or do I really need 93? :confused: Looking forward to driving it. It's by far the fanciest car I've ever bought. It's the limited with EVERYTHING. :D

I was also looking at the Murano SL, the Toyota Highlander Limited, and the BMW X3. Hope I made the right choice.

·
Registered
308 Posts
It states 91 in the manual (and possible on the fuel filler door). I think you made the right choice. I drove a Murano before choosing the Tribeca, and, at the time, the Tribeca was the obvious choice. The Murano is smaller inside, less cargo space, no third-row option, no sunroof option, and a few other things that aren't coming to mind at the moment. Option for option, the Tribeca was actually cheaper (even though you can find a stripped Murano cheaper than the cheapest Tribeca, the cheapest Tribeca is fairly well equipped).

Edit: you can even run 87, but the ECU will retard your ignition to prevent spark knock/pre-ignition, so you'll get less power and lower fuel mileage, but you can run it if you don't mind lower performance. (although my dealer's service manager tells me that when tearing down engines, those run on 87 are dirtier inside - 91 keeps it cleaner)

·
Registered
152 Posts
As someone that has a 07', I've run mine on both premium and basic gas. The BIGGEST issue is throttle response from a dead stop. Using low grade octane will cause what feels like a one to two second "delay" if you jam on the gas to merge into traffic or something(which can be scary if its a busy road).

My personal rule of thumb... If I'm driving highway I use 87octane, and if I'm doing mostly city driving on the tank, I use 91+

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used 98 octane a bit in the UK before importing my Tribeca back home to NZ.
It didn't really like the 98 - it 'pinked' under power, so I run 95 back here in NZ with no problems

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
As said above, you can run 89, but it's sluggish. We just run 93 all the time. The cost difference isn't astronomical....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts