Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006, 84K miles, very well taken care of, handed down to me.

My father did replace the OE rotors some years back with crossdrilled/slotted rotors and some pads.

I replaced the pads about 8 months ago when all this vibration started in the front. (Replaced with Hawk HPS pads)

Also performed an alignment and had the wheels balanced. Everything is good.

Last week I noticed my vibration issues are back and I'm suspecting it's time to say goodbye to the crossdrilled rotors and get some new StopTech slotted or Dba 4000 series.

I am also wondering about the struts..........any common tale tell signs they are in a need of replacement?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Brake Vibration

I usually don't run more than 2 sets of pads on a rotor. The vibration is often caused by warping of the rotor. If the rotors are not too expensive, replace them. I would suggest contacting your local machine shop that turns rotors and have them check the thickness and warpage. They should be able to estimate if there is enough material left to turn the rotor true without going below the minimum thickness allowance. I pay no more than $20 a rotor to turn.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Vibration while braking is a front rotor, replace the rotor or turn. You can tell which side it is usually and just address the offending rotor.

Clean and regrease slides with sil-glyde or better. Replace pin bushings if loose.

If you do that routinely and make sure the pad clips don’t get bent or corroded/build-up, OEM rotors will last the life of the vehicle on an average daily driver. I’ll run Subaru rotors 200k+ all day long, they have zero failure modes in well maintained brakes of average daily drivers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Vibration on braking

On my '07 of 169k miles, which has OEM rotors, my "vibration while braking" turned out to be a rear rotor. In order, I tried: new pads, then turned front rotors, finally turned rear rotors. That's when the vibration disappeared.:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replaced lower control arms in the front on both sides, much better now.

Dealer says the sway bar bushings need to be replaced (looks easy) and the right front shock is on its way out. Going to replace both front shocks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts