Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Tribeca Limited Special Edition
68 Posts
Not sure the valving is the same forward and reverse/engine braking affects the planetary clutch the same way. If it does, then I can just use the manual feature and downshift using the engine compression rather than the abs. Keep in mind I do not have studs due to the noise around town. Subaru seems to caution against using engine braking as it may cause unwanted vehicle dynamics, like the rear end coming around on an icy patch especially in corners vs just using the abs system.

·
V6er Version 2
Facelift (EZ36D, 5EAT TG5D), MY2008, 7seat Limited (no DVD, no NAVI)
343 Posts
1)
what valving? :))))
how is downshift connected to center diff clutch?
and HOW you managed to add there vehicle dynamics on slippery road? :)))))

2) about issue with parts catalog - I don't think so. When I gave you chance to talk about things in parts catalogue, you "ran away" to anything but technical information - sales brochures :))))
and now you want me to confirm something1 being equal something2 WITHOUT ANY technicaly precise details about either of them?! have you disassembled yourself both and compared them?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I could give a .... about the installation of the LSD, I'm only concerned about its outcome of its pushing/understeering of the car around icy uphill corners. What can be done to control this activity of the traction control system or using a different brake/throttle/steering wheel angle to activate the braking to assist the front wheels moving away from the ditch and back on the road.

Post #43, I'm referring to abusing the downshifting mechanism causing the planetary clutch to over heat.

Subaru cautions about downshifting using motor braking around downhill corners causing the rear end to lose traction as it may be in the 55/45 mode. The ABS system is much more sensitive and smooth to this type of activity than a sudden downshift especially on ice.

·
V6er Version 2
343 Posts
you even do not understand difference between LSD(let's omit "unimportant" details) and traction control systems...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well, I just so happened to have installed a WaveTrac ATB LSD in my Cayman 987.1S to inprove trail braking and acceleration after the apex of the corner. It works as advertised. The standard traction control system is not affected by this LSD and as long as I keep the yaw angle less than 8 degrees, it works to provide full power without limitations of rear wheel spin.

·
Registered
68 Posts
By hitting my yaw sensor which is set at 8 degrees flashing lights on the dash and cutting some engine power. After doing this a number of times and seeing the 1 second more time on the timing score board, you get a good idea of where that yaw angle is. With a limited slip diff, you can exert more throttle earlier after the apex and still not trigger the dreaded yaw penalty.

·
V6er Version 2
343 Posts
you know that slip angle is DIFFERENCE between your tire direction and direction of movement? not what yaw sensor shows......

·
Registered
68 Posts
How does a Yaw Rate Sensor function?Yaw Rate Sensor
In simpler terms, the yaw rate sensor is a key component in a vehicle’s stability control or electronic stability control system. Yaw can be defined as the movement of an object turning on its vertical axis. The yaw rate sensor determines how far off-axis a car is “tilting” in a turn using gyroscopes to monitor the slip angle, the angle between the vehicle’s heading and actual movement direction. This information is then fed into the vehicle’s computer to evaluate the wheel speed, steering angle and accelerator position, and, if the system senses too much yaw, the appropriate braking force is automatically applied.
By comparing the vehicle’s actual yaw rate to the target yaw rate, the on-board computer can identify to what degree the vehicle may be under- or over-steering, and what corrective action, if any, is required. Corrective action may include reducing engine power as well as applying the brake on one or more wheels to realign the vehicle.
Where is the Yaw Rate Sensor located?
The yaw rate sensor is typically located under the driver or passenger seat, mounted on the level floorboard in order to access the vehicle’s center of gravity. After installation, a reset/recalibration procedure is generally required.
Check out all the relays, sensors and switches available on NAPA Online or trust one of our 17,000 NAPA AutoCare locations for routine maintenance and repairs. For more information on your vehicle’s yaw rate sensor, chat with a knowledgeable expert at your local NAPA AUTO PARTS store.
Image via Max Pixel.
Categories
Know How
Tags
electronic stability control, ESC, safety, sensors

·
V6er Version 2
343 Posts
so - you still don't seem to understand difference between "direction of body + moving direction" versus "wheel direction plus moving direction"...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Reread that whole statement, it's telling you exactly what you need to know regarding yaw and slip angle. So, just remove moving direction from your formula above and you have direction of body vs wheel direction = slip angle. The LSD really helps transmit the engine power to both rear wheels, minimizing the rear slip angle and yaw. The Wavetrac ATB LSD is a hybrid between a clutch lsd and a Torsen, gear driven in that if the inside wheel is lifted for what ever reason, the power is still transmitted to the outside wheel.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts