Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, been driving Subes since the seventies. Now I have this 06 TriBeCa. It's been an easy winter so far so no real test. Few weeks ago was pulling up to my house and snow was a few inches deep. Wheels started to spin so I stopped to think about it. Decided to press the traction control off switch and see if that helps. It did and could finish pulling into the garage. Don't really understand why turning off traction control would help with traction but it did. Mabel there's an explanation on the forum but haven't found it yet.

Today I was leaving for work and there was about 4 inches of new snow on top of ice on the way out to the road. One of the front tires and the opposite side rear tire kept spinning. So I tried the traction control switch again after braking to stop the spin. The light came on alright but the tires kept spinning. No trouble lights are on. Kept trying for awhile. A couple guys came along and tried to push me out. Finally a guy in an old Ford 4x4 pickup came by and pulled me out.

I'm pretty tired and am going to bed. Tomorrow I will check for codes. But, anyone have any ideas? I'm a dinosaur, but can usually fix anything with some guidance. May have to use one of my other cars tomorrow. An 87 DL

G

·
Did you use any of the lower gears and/or adjust tire pressure?

Kind of hard to read that your Subie couldn't navigate a light snow... 🤨

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
K, I checked for codes. None. So I drove it. This time no problems. The traction lite came on occasionally, I suppose when there was slipping, and it drove around without getting stuck. But yesterday it did. I wasn't dreaming:)

·
Registered
837 Posts
Traction control can and will cut engine power when it senses slipping in one wheel. So turning it off to spin through some snow seems reasonable, you cannot, however, disable vdc or rollover control so the system is not completely off. VDC will use brakes to try and keep the vehicle pointed the direction you are intending it to go according to multiple sensors in the vehicle.

Are you using snow tires?

·
Registered
837 Posts
I guess I thought turning it off somehow locked all wheels together. Not so?
No, not even close. The older 4eat automatics you could drop it into 1 and it would lock the transfer clutch at full lock or 50% transfer to the rear. I don't think the tribeca offers this though. You could try it, but I would verify you don't have an issue with a rear axle coming unseated. That has happened before with a member here.

·
Registered
837 Posts
OK, I'll try that next. But it has been working lately so don't know if anything would show up. So, what's the idea behind turning traction control off?
When traction control is active, the ecm will abruptly cut power when it senses wheel slip, I did it once in our 07 pulling out of a car wash, it was like the engine just died without shutting off. Not what you would want to have happen when trying to get through anything loose/slippery.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Agreed, traction control is important in keeping the car going straight when on ice. But not useful when trying to get started from a stop. That's why they give you the switch.

Why then can't program in that logic of if you are going slow let it slip, but if you are at speed to let it work its magic.

Tom

·
Registered
34 Posts
One of my greatest disappointments with the Tribeca was snow driving. I’ve tried three “All weather” tires (Sumito, General Grabber, Continental Cross Contact) all with fairly poor results. (Although I admit to regularly running on over inflated tires. This causes the TPMS to flash after about 15 minutes of operation)

My only guess (and I stress this is just a guess) at an explanation is the greater width of the tires with respect to other Subarus. A wider tire has the weight distributed over a larger surface area (contact patch). A narrower tire would cut deeper into the snow.

Where I live only gets 2-3 bad snow days per year so I’ve never bothered to invest in winter tires. Once the Continentals wear out I may opt for winter tires and relegate the Subaru for cold weather driving.

In the mean time, I drive the Tribeca just as if I’m driving any other 2wd in the snow.

I will say that after being pushed into a snow bank by a monster truck the Tribeca was able to get me out without assistance.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Our Tribeca is one of the best vehicles in snow I've ever driven with a good set of Michelin winter tires equipped. Y'all need to run better tires if you're having problems. The ground clearance and AWD system are great for 98% of winter driving situations, but they're nothing without the right tires.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Tires.
if they're not top notch, new tires - they're probably the issue.
What is the 4 digit date stamp on the side of your tires?
Where did the car/tires come from?

If snow driving is important, I'd get snow tires or Michellins. There are other good non-snow tires but the companies offerings get confusing and ratings and reviews are hard to navigate because people use them so differently and have such varying expectations. there are other good snow tires it's just hard to keep tabs on them and I dont' have time to specialize or shop around, nor do i want to waste time getting something only to find out it's good for 1-2 seasons but not that great after 2-3 seasons which i've had happen before too.

we don't really need reviews from people who live in easy to drive flat land - my 11 year could drive on racing slicks in Ohio winters - or people who don't go into work when the roads suck and can wait til roads are plowed, cleared, and previously driven over.

some people need reviews from people who drive almost no matter what, on unmaintained roads that are very steep and dangerous without great tires.

that's hard to distinguish when most reviews are anecdotal and avoid any helpful information like that.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Studs are noisy, but amazing traction on packed/icy roads. Deep snow they are still pretty good. I put them on my rear wheel drive Ford Ranger here in colorado and never got stuck.

But for a 4 wheel drive subaru, I wouldn't put up with the sound. Just get a good set of snows. I am running Ice-X 3s.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.