Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO, I've posted in other threads and in other forums about my troubles with overheating while idling in my Tribeca which has been going on intermittently over the years. Well it has been increasing in occurances lately to the point and I can get it to happen by simply idling up to 10-15 minutes while the A/C is running. Anyway, the other day I started smelling a burning rubber smell whenever I would come to a stop. Yesterday I brought it into my dealership to get checked out. The burning smell turned out to be a torn CV Boot and a mess on the hot manifolds as a result. But while there, I was able to get them to FINALLY reproduce the overheating (they've had it in a few times before with no luck). After they looked into came the bad news: blown head gasket. The good news, its under warranty. So I now have a loaner 2009 Forester until late next week until everyhting is fixed. The question is, has anyone else here had any issues with the Tribeca head gasket, particularly those with the 3.0 H6?

The good news is my wife hinted when I told her the news by phone that I should ask for a loaner of the next car I want. I guess now that we are approaching out last 20,000 miles of our extended warranty and just had a major issue that she is seriously considering trading it in. Perhaps a 2010 Tribeca is in my near future?

·
Registered
630 Posts
sorry to here that, btw you may want to wait till 2011 tribeca's are out b/c thats when the plan on completly redesigning it, for 2010 it grows and they had the new nav with voice and suchh, good luck with ur current subaru!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tribeca_06 said:
sorry to here that, btw you may want to wait till 2011 tribeca's are out b/c thats when the plan on completly redesigning it, for 2010 it grows and they had the new nav with voice and suchh, good luck with ur current subaru!

False info from what I've been told from several inside sources. The plan is for 2010 to get new features but the same body style and that model will carry one until the 2012 model year so the investment in these new features are a worthy enough investment. Some updated 2010 features include:

1) Harmon Kardin sound system (with package)
2) Bluetooth with voice command.
3) Monochomatic paint on one of the packages. All of the black trim will be painted now.
4) HIDs on high-end package.

Anyway, the 2010 changes will carry over until the 2012 model year. At this point sales will dictate if they let it die there or continue on. If they continue on, the 2013 model year may get another minor refresh (much like the 2008 Tribeca did from the 2007) but the vehicle will still not be fully redesigned. In 2015 model year, the Tribeca will either be discontinued or redesigned but that decision will come before so a replacement can be designed if that is what they decide. As it currently stands, sources say it is likely to get discontinued altogether after the 2012 model year if sales don't pick up.

Frankly I'm pissed because I always want to be driving SUbarus and the Tribeca is the only Subaru in the US with the seating capacity even if it is cramped in the third row. I think it might be time for all of us to start putting pressure on SUbaru to make a redesign not only happen but happen sooner!

·
Registered
630 Posts
wow, i hope it lives on but i think it will have to b/c thats their only SUV and ofcourse they need one, what they would have to do for the redesign is make it really attractive and pick up sales like the Forster, or if they kill it, a new suv would have to come out?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tribeca_06 said:
wow, i hope it lives on but i think it will have to b/c thats their only SUV and ofcourse they need one, what they would have to do for the redesign is make it really attractive and pick up sales like the Forster, or if they kill it, a new suv would have to come out?
If they kill it, they surely will make something else to take its place which makes me wonder why they couldn't simply call the replacement "Tribeca" as well especially since they would likely use the Tribeca platform the base to build from. My only thought is maybe they'll make a larger version of the Exiga for the US market. If they did that and made it about the same dimensions as a Ford Flex, I wouldn't complain much. Bottom line, I need to be able to haul around myself and at least 6 other passengers.

·
Registered
119 Posts
HB_Dad, how many miles on your 06 Atlantic Blue? Mine is still running in pristine condition...just did the 60k service. Hope to keep it for a while yet, but know that all good things come to en end, even a Subie :)

-Karen in AZ-

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kmartin said:
HB_Dad, how many miles on your 06 Atlantic Blue? Mine is still running in pristine condition...just did the 60k service. Hope to keep it for a while yet, but know that all good things come to en end, even a Subie :)

-Karen in AZ-
My issues started a year ago at 55,000 miles and the dealership couldn't get the overheat to occur while they had it. I found out how to repro it almost consistently and got them to repro it. After close inspection they discovered the head gasket was blown. My Tribeca is now at around 76,000 miles.

This will not hold me back. My next vehicle will be a 3.6 Tribeca.

·
Registered
151 Posts
i have not heard the 3.0 engine having any sort of HG issues.. I know it circles mainly around the DOHC 2.5L phase 1 engines 1996-1999 with internal HG leaking causing overheating problems (I have a 97 OB that has this problem right now) and to a lesser degree the phase 2 2.5 L englines from 1999-2002.. the phase 2 are mostly external leaks. Most people are saying the 2.2L, 2.0 turbo and the H-6 dont seem to have this issue... but any engine can have blown head gaskets... sometimes its the luck of the draw.... did you check your over flow tank after driving? do you see it bubbling? if so, is the tank filled with carbon and oil mixed in with the coolant? definate sign of a blown head gasket.

·
Registered
96 Posts
crazycanuck said:
i have not heard the 3.0 engine having any sort of HG issues.. I know it circles mainly around the DOHC 2.5L phase 1 engines 1996-1999 with internal HG leaking causing overheating problems (I have a 97 OB that has this problem right now) and to a lesser degree the phase 2 2.5 L englines from 1999-2002.. the phase 2 are mostly external leaks. Most people are saying the 2.2L, 2.0 turbo and the H-6 dont seem to have this issue... but any engine can have blown head gaskets... sometimes its the luck of the draw.... did you check your over flow tank after driving? do you see it bubbling? if so, is the tank filled with carbon and oil mixed in with the coolant? definate sign of a blown head gasket.
Yup, went through that at around 90,000 miles on my '98 OBW. Cost me about $2500 for both sides. But also replaced the water pump, thermostat and timing belt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts